Pinkies are bad! why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CiaraAlexisOnFire

Juvie Member
Hello, I'm having a discussion with someone on another site about feeders. I know that bearded dragons don't eat pinkies in the wild, they're high in fat, and bones are hard to digest. But these people want sources! My bearded dragon research took place years ago so i'm having trouble finding websites. Anyone care to help?

Here's the reply they sent me:
:blob5: What's your take on supers? They do have less phosphorous, but they are higher in fat than a mealworm and still acceptable in many communities that reject mealworms. If you are gonna say "less chitin" please provide a source.

As for pinkies, in my link of their raw state they have a fat % in the single digits. The "too fatty" thing might only be applied to fuzzies, but even they are still within the range of acceptable insect feeders.

You stated BDs don't eat mice in the wild, are you saying they aren't opportunistic hunters? However wild behavior isn't necessarily useful because a wild dragon doesn't live very long.

Do you have anything on the skeletal system of a pinky regarding its calcified skeleton vs cartilage? Any evidence a beardie cannot in fact digest the skeleton of a small mouse or lizard?

I'm looking for more than "common knowledge" info, gimme the hard stuff :) :blob5:

Any help is greatly appreciated! :)

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Insect protein and mammalian protein are two completely different things. Just like milk protein and beef protein are different.

Lots of people can eat meats just fine, while lots of people also have slight problems with milks.

Here is a good link you can read, and send right back at them.

http://www.reptileboards.com/threads/article-on-feeding-rodents.17438/

That should be more than enough ammo to get them to stand down.

-Brandon

liveorange

I'm the poster in question, here is the link the the full thread.
http://www.reddit.com/r/BeardedDragons/comments/1igqky/on_the_subject_of_feeders/

Please note that I've asked for polite and thoughtful responses and advised a balanced and varied diet in response to the rudeness of others in other threads regarding the feeders in question. I don't care what you feed or don't feed, but if people feel like it is a license to take shots at others without supporting their argument I feel like it should be investigated.

I know it's been done before here on bd.org. One of the posters advised me to visit the site, where I'd see multiple mealworm impactions a month and a fully sourced conversation on mealworms. As far as the long conversation I managed to find I found bickering, immaturity and a complete lack of original sources. The OP was even put down for wanting data. In another thread the OP was mocked and made fun of for wanting data. As far as what I've found of impactions in the past month I've seen sand, freeze dried crickets, freeze dried medley, dehydration in a mealworm free dragon. I also saw an undigested wad of cricket and super exos, which were shrugged off as a hydration issue by the responder. What if they'd said it was cricket and mealworms?

If there is a meaningful discussion with real data please link me to it, at this point I'm having no luck with the search engine.

As far as the article, whoo boy. It's cited, but not within the text, so each claim I was forced to try and figure out if they found it in their sources or not. One link is dead, two are iguana specific, one is for savannah monitors. I understand the difficulty of finding good sources on the subject since I myself have been looking, but I have trouble with the sources from the start.

The article appears to assume the diet is mice as a staple. In my post I recommend a balanced diet and specifically say they should not be a staple. I can't say I've ever seen anyone recommending pinkies as a staple in this decade.

"However, in the wild dragons eat a wealth of plant matter, so that it makes up 60-90% of their overall diet." Which source did they get this from? I couldn't find it, please enlighten me if you could. We aim for those numbers in our own adult dragons, but that doesn't mean a wild dragon will.

"Considering this, and looking at a dragon’s digestive system, one can safely assume that the inland bearded dragon’s digestive tract has evolved to be most similar to an obligate herbivore’s than to a carnivore’s." They have a short digestive tract, usually seen in predators. While that doesn't mean it *is* a predator (ex. pandas) there isn't much conclusion to be made by simply looking at the digestive tract.

"The fact, however, that they eat primarily insects means that they have clear restrictions on just how much fat from protein they can process on a regular basis, as their body simply has not evolved to be used to such high loads, unlike a carnivore who has a body and metabolism specially adapted for processing high fat protein sources, such as rodents, rabbits, and other small mammals." Or insects are more numerous and readily available, leading to a higher likelihood it will they will make up the larger portion of protein sources. I doubt dragons would deliberately pass up any protein source based on any perceived restrictions.

"Young rodents, such as pinkies and fuzzies, are easy to digest due to their soft bones, thereby decreasing the risks of impaction from consuming such a large prey item." As pinkies in particular are in question, the article chosen seems to feel they're easily digested.

"Too much fat is often the cause of problems such as fatty liver disease, which can lead to fatal health problems." Raw pinkies have the lowest fat content of any life stage of mice, and at their worst it's comparable to supers. Supers are fed regularly, pinkies are recommend rarely. If dragons are suffering liver problems due to the fat in their diet the entire diet should be suspect, not just one small element of it.

"The fur of fuzzies have sometimes caused mild, to severe, impaction in herps, though this can largely be avoided by cutting a fuzzy in half and feeding each half as a separate portion." Pinkies, the feeder in question, have no fur. Even so, how would cutting a fuzzy in half reduce the risk of fur impaction?

"It is unclear as to how much mammalian protein is safe to feed." They couldn't find the info, but Brandon said bds cannot digest mammalian protein. Where'd you find yours?

If I'd tried to give this to my professors in the day I would've been asked to rewrite it or given an ugly score depending on how nice the prof was feeling that day. As it stands the article makes up info at worst and assumes too much info at best. It is obvious the author came in heavily biased, and there is a reason you don't want research paid for by the company. As it stands I am not convinced.

Seeing as I'm still standing here please try again. Unfortunately from what I've seen of other related discussions in this forum it's moot. I'm not here to fight, I just want to see some effort. I do appreciate the article your did provide, it was more effort than I've seen so far!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
liveorange":230k88zl said:
I don't care what you feed or don't feed
You clearly do...
The article appears to assume the diet is mice as a staple. In my post I recommend a balanced diet and specifically say they should not be a staple. I can't say I've ever seen anyone recommending pinkies as a staple in this decade.
I see no supporting evidence for this assumption. Ok Mr. Source and Cite happy. Cite me where the article I posted makes any mention as the basis for the article being written on an assumption of pinkies as a staple.
However, in the wild dragons eat a wealth of plant matter, so that it makes up 60-90% of their overall diet." Which source did they get this from? I couldn't find it, please enlighten me if you could
You are not even trying to discuss pinkies in the diet, at this point you are basically just trying to find things said in the article to argue with, whether they pertain to the matter at hand or not.
I doubt dragons would deliberately pass up any protein source based on any perceived restrictions.
You are right, they won't. Either will my kid pass up a bucket of hersheys bars sitting in front of him. I fail to see your point on this one.
Brandon said bds cannot digest mammalian protein. Where'd you find yours?
[/quote]
I did not say this. Please don't falsafiy things I have said or not said just to continue your bickering.
Helpful tip, a few strong points make a better argument than a bunch of random points that don't really pertain to the discussion.

Now, seeing as you are here, how about me and you discuss this.

Firstly, you do agree that there are safer options of feeders out there correct? You admit too that you don't know if beardies can digest mamalian protein. I don't think anyone really is clear on that. So, with that said, do you think it is wise to feed your dragon something untested when there are loads of other options you can pick from that have been proven to be healthy?

You are on the top of a very tall, steep, and jagged-rocky hill with. There are two ways to get down.
One way, is the way the guide told you to go. It's safe, its a staircase with railing going all the way to the bottom.
But there is a second way. You could simply jump off of the trail, and slide down the rocky jagged hill all the way to the bottom.
In both instances you make it to the bottom. But one way is definitely safer, tried and tested, and known to be a decent way to go about getting down the mountain.

Point being is that pinkies are the jagged rocky slide down the mountain. Why take the dangerous path when you know there is a safe path.

It's fine if you want to feed your dragons pinkies. I don't have a problem with that. What I do have a problem with is people like you who preach and argue to others trying to get everyone to change their ways to the more dangerous side of things.
Same thing with mealworms. Mealworms are absolute crap. Horrible nutrition-wise, and believe it or not, there are loads of cases of mealworms causing impactions. Why would you want to feed these to your dragon when you KNOW there are healthier and safer options out there.

Final word on it, if you want to be the daredevil sliding down the mountain do it. But don't have the nerve to think just because you got away with the slide down the mountain, that your advice to others to do it the same will end up just like you. You don't know what damage you are going to feel later in life from the jagged slide down, and you don't know if other people are going to be as lucky as you.

And please, have the competence to realize this talk about mountains is all figurative for the topic at hand. I have the impression from your first post you are one of those people who like to pick apart every little sentence and arguing something on it just to make yourself sound like a good arguer because you "dissect" so many things said.

-Brandon

liveorange

Pardon my formatting fumbles, I don't usually do more than lurk forums.

I picked apart the article to show it isn't a sound source. You seemed to think it was sufficient "ammo" to make me "back down" and I didn't. As far as caring what people feed, like I said, I care when people are rude about it. The day I did my original post I'd seen yet another person dealt with rudely, so I figured why not get to the bottom of it? I know I'm not going to change any minds, if anything people will get angry. I'm hoping to increase my actual knowledge, and all I have asked for is information. When people in this hobby assume they know everything they definitely don't know enough.

liveorange wrote:

I see no supporting evidence for this assumption. Ok Mr. Source and Cite happy. Cite me where the article I posted makes any mention as the basis for the article being written on an assumption of pinkies as a staple.

"If dragons are fed just on high-fat foods like pinkies the damage has been done. It doesn't matter if it takes months to years for the symptoms to become evident as they are still caused by too much fat due to the nature of the disease."

I'm sorry, you compared bds eating mammalian protein to humans with lactose intolerance drinking milk. You agree nobody is clear on it, so why make that comparison?

As far as safety of feeders, from my perusal of your forum searching for impaction cases it would appear that many feeders can be dangerous. I saw someone on your forum claim roaches 1/4" too large caused impaction. Dehydration with any feeder can cause impaction. Feeding anything on loose substrate. Insufficient temps, insufficient uvb, intolerable stress. Should we start feeding them a slurry? I joke, but realistically, this is about dispelling false information one way or the other. There haven't been enough studies to suggest that it's bad for them. We should be looking for ways to improve beardie diets, and if we never question what "everyone" is saying that will never happen. The fact that this conversation keeps coming up tells me there isn't enough information there yet, so people should keep asking, no matter how much you guys hate it.

As far as the crap mealworms, http://www.organicvaluerecovery.com/studies/studies_nutrient_content_of_insects.htm includes vitamins and minerals. They meet or exceed most of the vitamin and mineral counts of superworms. Either one can be gutloaded to improve their numbers of course, and should be.

I'm sorry you see this as preaching, I get that very impression when I see "don't feed mealworms" repeated over and over with substantial information backing. The topic runs along the lines of a religious debate as far as the emotions it seems to boil up.

And while I do often dissect information, it would appear you've done the same to my post. Is that ok or...?

It's clear you see this as argumentative and pointless rocking of the boat. You basically took the conversation and gave me the choices "fall in" or "fall off" when the subject is much more complicated than that. Like I said, in this forum it is certainly a moot point, but I'm "one of those people" with their stupid questions and their stupid sources, what do I know? If there isn't a discussion to be had here with the tough questions the community loses value.

Have just a super day!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
liveorange":343xw3k2 said:
"If dragons are fed just on high-fat foods like pinkies the damage has been done. It doesn't matter if it takes months to years for the symptoms to become evident as they are still caused by too much fat due to the nature of the disease."
Yes this was mentioned, but I still don't believe the article is written on the basis of them as a staple. In fact, near the closing of the article the author even suggests that they be fed as more of a sparing treat. Which you agree with correct?
I'm sorry, you compared bds eating mammalian protein to humans with lactose intolerance drinking milk. You agree nobody is clear on it, so why make that comparison?
I never compared insects to meat and mammalian protein to milk. I wasn't comparing, I was simply using an example to explain how protein types can be completely different, and have different effects on the body.
I saw someone on your forum claim roaches 1/4" too large caused impaction
So, a random person saying it is fine to add to a discussion when its for your own good, but when someone else wishes to do the same, you demand them to add sources and backing up information...
Lets be real here, what 1 person thinks =/= what the forum thinks as a whole. Someone can make an account and come on here and say that silkworms caused their dragon to get impacted. What does that prove?
What the forum thinks as a whole is based on past experience, knowledge, experimenting, etc.. Just as textbooks are often the collaboration of multiple professors/scientists/teachers.

We should be looking for ways to improve beardie diets, and if we never question what "everyone" is saying that will never happen
Trust me, people haven't stopped questioning this forums general recommendations, and you are definitely not the first, just the newest.
I agree with you, we should be looking for ways to improve beardies diets. But, for things to improve, other options need to be added, and tested. Mealworms have been proven pretty thoroughly to be a pretty poor feeder. Continuing to argue for them isn't going to make them become better. Once you know something is bad, there just is no amount of arguing that you can do to make it meet the standards that other insects bring to the table.

The reason a 5 page long essay isn't posted everytime someone recommends against feeding mealworms is because it's asinine. Like I said, the recommendation against mealworms wasn't something this forum decided on overnight. You will either just have to trust me on that one, or spend a good amount of time doing some actual research on past threads of this site, from owners with first hand experiences and tragedies with the insect.

I don't see your post as argumentative, I genuinely see it as how you are describing it, as a want for more knowledge, or at the minimum, a rather strong disliking for others who disagree with you without providing an extensive back up of information.
Arguments tend to get out of hand, but thats only when one or both of the parties decide to stoop down to the low level of name calling, insulting, belittling, and general jerk-ness.
I'm fine with continuing a decent civil discussion/argument, as long as it doesn't take that turn.

-Brandon

CiaraAlexisOnFire

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the article Brandon! It was interesting to read.
I didn't mean to cause an argument, I just wanted to show a source to prevent people from feeding pinkies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom