Pink/Red in Urinate

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Good job ! You can add water any time, like 1/2 cup if needed and mix it up. Do you have the lid for that ? It's best to have the lid on after cutting one corner out for Clyde to access the box from the top.

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Good job ! You can add water any time, like 1/2 cup if needed and mix it up. Do you have the lid for that ? It's best to have the lid on after cutting one corner out for Clyde to access the box from the top.
What do you mean?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The lid for the container, didn't this come with a lid ? I think I explained it to you earlier, when you use these smaller ones you cut a corner out of the lid and put it back on. The hole in the lid acts as the entrance to the laybox.

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
The lid for the container, didn't this come with a lid ? I think I explained it to you earlier, when you use these smaller ones you cut a corner out of the lid and put it back on. The hole in the lid acts as the entrance to the laybox.
Ooof yeah so it didn’t come with a lid. A lot of the boxes at target were just not quite deep enough or way too deep. So I kind of uh found a plastic drawer from a plastic cabinet and took the drawer that had the barcode on it lol. It was the perfect size but no lid 😬 oops.

He has been digging in it this morning though. Is the lid to promote a “cave” entrance or to keep it damp or both?

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
@AHBD I think i’m just going to put a towel over half of the box, will that work?

Also just weighed and he’s 498 grams. Barely losing any weight so that’s good. Also he ate 2 roaches today 🥳

Last edited:

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Some digging this morning. Still low appetite. Does this digging confirm he has eggs? As hard as I try I cannot feel anything. When should I consider getting an ultrasound (AKA when does egg binding become a big concern?). I might go back to target today to get a new bin with a lid. Is it okay if it is just over 6” tall? That’s all they have.

What is the lid’s main purpose again?

Attachments

• 4DD15CA2-A469-4152-9412-058ED20BBB11.jpeg
    4DD15CA2-A469-4152-9412-058ED20BBB11.jpeg
    393 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I doubt that egg binding will be a problem but if you feel the need to get an ultrasound that's fine. The reason for leaving the lid on is that immediately entering the box it will feel secure like a cave.

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
I doubt that egg binding will be a problem but if you feel the need to get an ultrasound that's fine. The reason for leaving the lid on is that immediately entering the box it will feel secure like a cave.
He’s not great at understanding glass/transparent walls, should I get a lid that isn’t transparent? I’ve got a towel stretched over it for now because I wasn’t able to find a big enough box.

Here is him this morning!!!

Attachments

• 48E3A17B-5E71-4042-8C6D-B520BFCCE2E9.jpeg
    48E3A17B-5E71-4042-8C6D-B520BFCCE2E9.jpeg
    298.2 KB · Views: 77

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
So it seems we found the cause of the weird poop/urine. Clyde has hookworm. They are prescribing pyrantel pamoate orally once every two weeks for three treatments.

Could this be the cause of the loss of appetite? And the restlessness/napping?

I need to get a worm count and see how much of the medication they’re prescribing to make sure it’s a safe amount. Unfortunately I’m leaving town so I will have to get my mom to give the second dose. They said I need to keep the cage clean to make sure he doesn’t reinvest any worm eggs—how much should I work about that? I won’t be able to clean it for the 2 weeks I’m gone but I’ll clean it before and after.

Also, can this be transmitted to humans?

Also, should I throw out his old roaches? Buy new ones? I’ve had them for like 4 months because of brumation and their space is clean right now but they’ve had some moments of under-cleaning. I don’t have my own I just buy more when i run out usually. Could they be carrying hookworm?

Last edited:

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Here are the results! And the prescription. Let me know if anything seems whack. They're hoping this will solve his stool issue. The "pink" was confirmed to me red blood cells, they also found white blood cells (fighting infection).

Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 12.47.05 PM.jpg

My only remaining question is should I replace his roaches with new ones or no? Vet says his roaches are probably fine but I feel inclined to get new ones "just to be safe." What do you all think?

Also @AHBD I think I am going to remove the lay box in his enclosure. They said I need to keep the tank very clean to avoid reinfection. I will get an x-ray to check for eggs before I leave to make sure he doesn't need the lay box. Also, do vets usually do an x-ray or an ultrasound to check for eggs?

Attachments

• IMG_0384.jpeg
    IMG_0384.jpeg
    187.4 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
They can do either Xray or ultrasound. The count on the worms is low and shouldn't bother her too much so at least that isn't too bad . The other " bugs " floating around can be normal , found in some reptiles in certain amounts without being a problem. I would definitely not throw away the dubias, that's Clyde's food source and not at all likely to be the source of hookworms. BTW, maybe see if Drache613 has any helpful info to offer as well. Have a nice time on your trip and try not to worry too much. !

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
The other " bugs " floating around can be normal , found in some reptiles in certain amounts without being a problem.
Yeah they weren't concerned about anything other than the hookworms. Does the dosage look correct? I've heard of vets overprescribing meds before. @Drache613

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I can double check the dose for you, what is your dragon's weight?
I couldn't tell by looking, but what is the strength of the Strongid, does it specify?
Hookworms definitely should be treated, because they can do damage to the intestinal
lining. I don't think that the dubias are the source of hookworms, so definitely hold onto
your colony for him.
As AHBD said, they do have a normal gut flora of bacteria which usually doesn't affect
them, unless it gets out of balance.

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom