Pink/Red in Urinate

clyde612

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Clyde has been having issues with utinate coming out pink/tan and sometimes even with a little red for a while now. Besides that he acts healthy, brumated for 3 months this winter, has never laid eggs (is female, I know thats a little confusing but I found out later). I have lots of photos (lol) so here they are...

(KarrieRee said you two could help @Tracie @Drache613 )

IMG_3205.jpg

IMG_4482.jpg

IMG_5370.jpg

IMG_6221.jpg

IMG_6558.jpg

IMG_6641.jpg

IMG_7521.jpg

IMG_7520.jpg

IMG_7522.jpg

IMG_9079.jpg

IMG_9206.jpg

I am going to bring in a stool sample for the vet and see what they find. I don't like them very much because they were aggressive with handling Clyde so I am going to post all that information here when I get it and also start looking for a new vet.

The vet I saw said it could be a dehydration issue or a reproductive issue. He is bad at drinking water but I don't think he is chronically dehydrated? I give him water using a dropped ever 3 days or so, I wet his greens and try to keep his bugs hydrated. I also give him bath so he can soak up water through his vent (I know it doesn't absorb through their skin). Has anyone else experienced this issue and gotten a diagnosis? When it started (July) he must have been about 7 months.

Here is his weight:
155 grams — may 17th, 2021
(brumation started early december)
490 grams — december 8th, 2021
494 grams — december 14th, 2021
493 grams –– december 24th, 2021
490 grams — january 6th, 2022
493 grams — january 23rd, 2022
490 grams — february 1st, 2022
488 grams — february 12th, 2022
489 grams — february 22, 2022
488 grams — march 1, 2022
(then he woke up from brumation early march)
478 grams — march 21, 2022
473 grams — march 28, 2022
492 grams — april 2, 2022

Lighting:
REPTISUN 10.0 UVB 39 W T5 HO LAMP in a reflective hood mounted on inside
100W basking bulb (95-100º F –– was hotter when younger) mounted outside (through mesh)
ceramic heater (no light) used in winter

120 gallon tank, no exposure to other beardies, powder calcium supplements, occasional vitamin powder with NO vitamin A, dubia roaches, kale, collard greens, dandelion greens, zucchini, green beans, occasional strawberries/blueberries (red is not from strawberries), occasional hornworms.

Attachments

• IMG_6558.jpg
    IMG_6558.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_7522.jpg
    IMG_7522.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 120

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel my female two year old beardie
She could have parasite or worms becuz the poop looks runny as well. What have you been giving him and how often do you give her food?

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
if it were me, i would go for the parasite check with the vet once you find a new one. does the poop smell so bad you can't stand it, or just regular poop smell? parasites usually make the smell nearly unbearable. your pictures have a lot of liquid in them, so my guess is dehydration is not a problem.

by the way, absorbing moisture from baths through their vent is a myth. too many baths isn't good for their skin. we usually only do baths every week or so unless he winds up running through poop and he needs to be cleaned up.

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
I give him dubia roaches but back in the summer I gave crickets a few times when I ran out of roaches.

I knew that absorbing through the scales was a myth but thanks for the update on the vent thing. Vet suggested baths which made me skeptical of her knowledge.

His poops have smelled strongly in the past sometimes but not always and not recently.

Since this has been happening since July, and his weight was VERY stable during brumation (he ate nothing) would a parasite/worm make sense? I thought they lost weight during brumation if they had a parasite or worms?

Last edited:

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
So he has been barely eating but not losing weight. In fact he gained weight. He also had been pooping less and I’m wondering if he is constipated. He weighted 502 grams on April 12th. He has also started digging/napping during the day. Could he be going BACK into brumation??? He just got out?

I’m glad he’s not losing weight but I’m not sure what to do about him not eating and napping. He still eats his hornworms and sometimes will pick at his salad but only to get the little stawberry pieces. Ate a couple roaches yesterday but that’s all the roaches he’s had in maybe 4-5 days (they’re always in a bowl in his cage now). He’s been basking some but mostly just in the morning and then into hide unless i go get him out (to roam). Should I leave him alone?

Also I felt for eggs, didn’t feel anything?

Here’s a photo of him looking at me while I write this lol, so cute.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
She might be carrying eggs. Do you have a laybox set up ?
Just curious, is the lack of appetite an egg-laying thing? Clyde doesn’t dig very much, mostly just to get comfy. He has been like, laying down in the hide like he’s asleep but he’s actually awake. I’ll stop messing with him and taking him out, I just get worried he’s fired so I’ml get him and let him roam but if he’s gravid then I probably shouldn’t do that.

No lay box with sand but he does have 2 fairly large hides on both ends of the tank that have blankets he can go under. I just made the one on the cool side today so I don’t think he knows it’s there yet, but he loves his other hide. Will that be okay for now or should I make a big box?

I’m also leaving town for a couple weeks in about 3 weeks. Should I get an ultrasound before I go? Will he be okay for the 2 weeks if he has eggs to lay?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Beardies mostly do lose their appetite but it's not usually for more than a week before laying. The average seems to be about 3 days before laying that they suddenly stop but it can be a few longer or shorter. Getting an ultrasound is up to you, and yes she would probably utilize one of her caves as a nesting area but you can't know for sure.

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
I'm getting progressively more worried about him. He has had spells of lack of appetite before but only once for a face shed and once for brumation––actually pre-brumation his appetite was still pretty strong.

He has had very low appetite for maybe 5 days now. Ate 2 roaches maybe 5 days ago and a few more a couple of days before that. Wont eat salad. Will only eat hornworms right now––still runs after them lol. He is currently in his hide napping, he's been doing this for 3-4 days. He is shutting his eyes sometimes and eyes open other times. In the mornings he still basks and generally he has no stress marks, ran all around the house this morning and basked by the window, so he doesn't seem extremely ill. Just like, won't eat and nappy in the evenings. I have been syringe feeding him water daily or every other day. He pooped today too, same issue as always with the urinate.

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Beardies mostly do lose their appetite but it's not usually for more than a week before laying. The average seems to be about 3 days before laying that they suddenly stop but it can be a few longer or shorter. Getting an ultrasound is up to you, and yes she would probably utilize one of her caves as a nesting area but you can't know for sure.
I would love to make a lay box in case he's gravid. I have a big bin I could use but I also have a 120 gallon tank and if I could leave him in the tank that would be better for me, so should I make the lay box in the tank? I know I need to get play sand and some other things, do you have a good link for a proper setup? He has been looking a little extra heavy considering the lack of appetite. Also I'm not sure parasites would make sense since he lost no weight during brumation, so gravid seems more likely. I really haven't been able to feel anything though, and he is not doing much digging in his enclosure really, just naps.

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Going to get play sand and dirt now, worried about egg binding. How many do the usually lay when they’re infertile eggs? How long can they have eggs before being considered egg bound?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The number of eggs can vary widely depending on your dragon. It can be as few as a dozen but usually 18-25. Sometimes more than that, even up to 40 but that's not common, especially for a first clutch.

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
The number of eggs can vary widely depending on your dragon. It can be as few as a dozen but usually 18-25. Sometimes more than that, even up to 40 but that's not common, especially for a first clutch.
Okay, I have play sand and organic topsoil no additives and my bin. Gonna start researching and building. Should I put him in there in the morning? Do they sleep in there? He already went to sleep for tonight.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom