Pine Bark slabs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
Hey guy’s was wondering if anyone knew about using slabs of bark in the enclosure if they come from a pine tree. I know pine is not safe because of the fumes when heated up in the enclosure but is the sap in the bark as well as? Or just in the tree? I know the hubba huts are from cedar which is a part of the conifer family and people use those for basking/hides in enclosures?

Shinryu

Hatchling Member
Staff member
Lead Writer
From my understanding, pine isn't safe unless it's well sealed. I've seen previous posts where people built custom enclosures from pine wood but it was well sealed. I've read mixed things about hubba huts. Many people use them and believe they are just fine, but I've seen chatter all over various reptile forums about how they aren't safe for bearded dragons. I've always had trouble finding a straight answer as to their safety. @CooperDragon, what do you think?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've read about pine and cedar being potentially dangerous as well, but as mentioned, as long as they aren't offgassing or have sap on them they should be OK. Sealing the wood is a good idea in the case of building an enclosure. I'd probably avoid using them inside the enclosure as accessories, but that's to err on the side of caution since other options are available. I believe Habba Huts are made of Fir. I have used one of those for years and not run into any issues with it.

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
I've read about pine and cedar being potentially dangerous as well, but as mentioned, as long as they aren't offgassing or have sap on them they should be OK. Sealing the wood is a good idea in the case of building an enclosure. I'd probably avoid using them inside the enclosure as accessories, but that's to err on the side of caution since other options are available. I believe Habba Huts are made of Fir. I have used one of those for years and not run into any issues with it.
Ok sounds good thank you I’ll just avoid them I found some cork bark slabs that should be safe it says there from some kind of sustainable tree bark from Portugal? I think that was the country can’t remember exactly?

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
Cork should work well. That will look nice too.
Yeah I was just curious because my neighbor cuts firewood and has these big pieces of bark but we live in Bend Oregon and it’s all pine and juniper here in the high desert lol. I always find these cool branches that look like they’ve been dead and weathered for ages but when you bake them they always secrete sap and stick to the bottom of the oven. My wife doesn’t let me bake any branches anymore!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ah, that's a bummer you can't use the good branches. Sap in the oven would be a huge pain to clean up though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom