(PICS) Update on rescue beardie and question about wounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

any2117

Hello! About a week ago I rescued a baby beardie (around 3-4 months old)

He was kept with a coil 10.0 bulb as uvb/light source and a red bulb for heat. Kept on white vitasand and fed on the tank, no other enrichment other than a single branch. Almost no human interaction. He/she had a broken tail with a dry tip and was pooping sand.

Right now he/she's being kept in a 40 gal with a 75w spotlight and an arcadia 12% tube mounted inside the tank. He/she eats like a monster and I can see him/her growing. We named him/her Bailey's due to the colors (and all my lizards having alcoholic names :D ) Humidity is 40%, temps are 105-110F on basking spot and 80-85F on cold area.

Baileys had a kinked tail and the tip fell off three days ago; and healed well and the poop no longer has any sand on it.

However, I did notice that the tail, about 3-4 cms above the broken tip, had a wound on it. It almost looks like the scales were lifted over the tail? Baileys has shed the tail already but the wound is still there... I'm worried about tail rot. I'm cleaning the tail daily with iodine in water and raw honey and doesn't really seem infected, but I'm unsure if it's better to take the beardie to a vet for amputation?

Pics of Baileys in next post. Thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Keep up w/ the honey make sure its raw unpasteurized honey --- NO crickets in the tank please --- it should kill the infection and it looks like its going to fall off --- you dont want any black moving up the tail the honey will kill any infection going on -- he looks good and you have done a good job w/ him --- great lighting --

Any1217

Hi Karrie! Thanks a LOT for all your help.. I thought naybe I could save that portion of tail since he already lost 2cms off it… but doesn’t matter. I’ll keep up with what you told me. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom