Picky eater? Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

IdiotBoy

Ok so Winnie has been pretty steadily eating kale and other greens, worms, and crickets for a while. I’ve tried other greens but kale seems to be the favorite, also likes flukers freeze dried bugs and hates soft worms, really seems to have a texture preference for crunchy stuff. Recently he won’t look at superworms with the same interest and will basically ignore them, occasionally cocking his head and eating them,I can’t get him to eat anything else other than his dry mix and crickets. The weirdest part is he’s avoiding his greens EXCEPT when I take him outside in the backyard, where he will eat any dandelion greens he sees growing and normally he’s pretty impartial to dandelion greens. I’ve been trying to put his food in his path when he’s wandering around but he has ignored my efforts. Does he need a little garden to graze in or something? Has anyone else noticed anything similar? He’s starting to loose weight at this point so I would appreciate any advice

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok so Winnie has been pretty steadily eating kale and other greens, worms, and crickets for a while. I’ve tried other greens but kale seems to be the favorite, also likes flukers freeze dried bugs and hates soft worms, really seems to have a texture preference for crunchy stuff. Recently he won’t look at superworms with the same interest and will basically ignore them, occasionally cocking his head and eating them,I can’t get him to eat anything else other than his dry mix and crickets. The weirdest part is he’s avoiding his greens EXCEPT when I take him outside in the backyard, where he will eat any dandelion greens he sees growing and normally he’s pretty impartial to dandelion greens. I’ve been trying to put his food in his path when he’s wandering around but he has ignored my efforts. Does he need a little garden to graze in or something? Has anyone else noticed anything similar? He’s starting to loose weight at this point so I would appreciate any advice
Losing weight is not good --- I would look at getting a fecal from her and take it in to the vet and have it tested for parasites-- NO enemas!! This could be a sign of parasites the losing weight- dry mix is yucky -- see if you can find dandelion greens in your store - its great shes eating them outside but you haft to make sure there are no fertilizers on that stuff shes eating -- like a neighbor if they are spraying next door -- you can grow stuff for your dragon -- but you would need to have someone else help you on that issue - so we can ask CooperDragon - also I would try some horn worms for her they are a good hydrating worm -- hmm maybe not since you said she doesnt like soft worms -- supers are about the only worm that has that crunch to it --
@CooperDragon

inky

well lets start off with this kale is high in oxogalates or however you spell it that binds with calcium and can cause metabolic bone disease go to go herping on youtube for more information on this next dubia roaches are alot better for your beardie because they dont carry parasites they dont NEED to be gut loaded also they give more calcium to replace kale you can use bok choy collared greens and raw cabbage which isnt as good as the others btw weight loss is very bad search for more help now

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
well lets start off with this kale is high in oxogalates or however you spell it that binds with calcium and can cause metabolic bone disease go to go herping on youtube for more information on this next dubia roaches are alot better for your beardie because they dont carry parasites they dont NEED to be gut loaded also they give more calcium to replace kale you can use bok choy collared greens and raw cabbage which isnt as good as the others btw weight loss is very bad search for more help now
Collards are actually higher in oxalates than kale, but I agree about adding it into the rotation. Sometimes they just get bored of the same thing. The losing wight is a concern though that should prompt a vet visit, and bring a fecal sample collected the day before or day of to be tested for parasites.

As far as the actual feeding, variety will be key. It could be that if kale is the only staple that he is getting too much oxalates. Just like if he was getting only dandelion greens he would be missing out on the nutrients he would get from collards or kale. Variety helps balance any potential negative things while providing a more complete nutritional profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom