Picky Eater.....Anybody Else?

Does anybody else have this problem? Rascal is about 10 1/2 months old and is a pain to feed. Seems like she will change her mind as to what she will eat constantly. When I first got her it was crickets because they are readily available. Did some research and switched to Dubia Roaches and that was good for a few months, she LOVED them, and all of sudden, she wouldn't touch them. Sooooooo back to crickets, that lasted for a week or two, and suddenly, wouldn't eat those either. Got some BSFL. For both a staple feeder and a salad topper. Liked those for a few days and then....no thanks. Had to get rid of them as they were starting to turn into flies. Back to crickets as she still wouldn't eat any of the roughly 200 roaches I had under the bathroom sink. (they are still there.) Thought I might try the BSFL again as she steadfastly refuses to eat hardly any greens. Yahtzee!!!!! For a few days she gobbled those things up like she had never been fed before. (Just picking them off her salads) I was pretty happy, as she seemed to love them AND no more dusting crickets, right? Wrong! After a few days she decided she wanted nothing to do with those either. So now I have about 250 roaches and 300 BSFL she won't go near with a ten foot poll, and I am back to dusting crickets. Frustrated.

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Does anybody else have this problem? Rascal is about 10 1/2 months old and is a pain to feed. Seems like she will change her mind as to what she will eat constantly. When I first got her it was crickets because they are readily available. Did some research and switched to Dubia Roaches and that was good for a few months, she LOVED them, and all of sudden, she wouldn't touch them. Sooooooo back to crickets, that lasted for a week or two, and suddenly, wouldn't eat those either. Got some BSFL. For both a staple feeder and a salad topper. Liked those for a few days and then....no thanks. Had to get rid of them as they were starting to turn into flies. Back to crickets as she still wouldn't eat any of the roughly 200 roaches I had under the bathroom sink. (they are still there.) Thought I might try the BSFL again as she steadfastly refuses to eat hardly any greens. Yahtzee!!!!! For a few days she gobbled those things up like she had never been fed before. (Just picking them off her salads) I was pretty happy, as she seemed to love them AND no more dusting crickets, right? Wrong! After a few days she decided she wanted nothing to do with those either. So now I have about 250 roaches and 300 BSFL she won't go near with a ten foot poll, and I am back to dusting crickets. Frustrated.
The BSFL flies are good to feed -- please feed them to her -- have you tried silk worms --- mix all those staple feeders you have up and see how it goes

Bruce Wayne

Original Poster
The BSFL flies are good to feed -- please feed them to her -- have you tried silk worms --- mix all those staple feeders you have up and see how it goes
Believe me I try to get her to eat the BSFL......by far the easiest feeder to deal with and really good for her I know, but for whatever reason, after a few days of gobbling them up she won't touch them. Can silkworms be used as a staple feeder?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Believe me I try to get her to eat the BSFL......by far the easiest feeder to deal with and really good for her I know, but for whatever reason, after a few days of gobbling them up she won't touch them. Can silkworms be used as a staple feeder?
yes they are a good staple feeder

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
Mines was super picky but to avoid it this is what I do and it worked for me

Switch greens up weekly + add bee 🐝 pollen

In terms of bugs I only do dubias ( crickets died to quick, they didn’t fully digest mealworms, oldest didn’t like hornworms or bsfl) add Flukers strawberry banana calcium powder

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Hornworms are usually a hit. But once they start eating them it's really hard to get them to eat anything else.
That biggest problem with hornworms is runny poo

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)

cpBD

Beardie name(s)
Sully
It can be a challenge! Sully goes through phases too… he’s almost 5 months and has had his ups and downs with various foods.

He’s pretty consistently liked Dubias, has been hot and cold w BSFL (they’re so easy to deal with, except I hate when they turn into flies—I know they’re harmless but they look sooo creepy!). Silkworms are a little expensive, but a great staple and also easy to deal with. He likes those, so I’ve been ordering them from Reptilian Arts which has worked out great.

I also get some hornworms every couple weeks. They’re a little challenging because I only like to feed one every other day or so (because otherwise runny poop, as mentioned above), but they grow SO fast, that even if I put them in the fridge every other day they get too big or him to eat in a matter of days.

I’ve found it almost impossible to get him to eat any greens or vegetables (I’ve tried BSFLs as salad toppers, bee pollen, etc. No dice). Today, it occurred to me to try scattering some greens (baby arugula) instead of putting all the veg in the very shallow bowl I’ve been using. Lo and behold, when he walked by it he took a huge bite. I almost fell over!

Best of luck, this can be pretty challenging!

Bruce Wayne

Original Poster
It can be a challenge! Sully goes through phases too… he’s almost 5 months and has had his ups and downs with various foods.

He’s pretty consistently liked Dubias, has been hot and cold w BSFL (they’re so easy to deal with, except I hate when they turn into flies—I know they’re harmless but they look sooo creepy!). Silkworms are a little expensive, but a great staple and also easy to deal with. He likes those, so I’ve been ordering them from Reptilian Arts which has worked out great.

I also get some hornworms every couple weeks. They’re a little challenging because I only like to feed one every other day or so (because otherwise runny poop, as mentioned above), but they grow SO fast, that even if I put them in the fridge every other day they get too big or him to eat in a matter of days.

I’ve found it almost impossible to get him to eat any greens or vegetables (I’ve tried BSFLs as salad toppers, bee pollen, etc. No dice). Today, it occurred to me to try scattering some greens (baby arugula) instead of putting all the veg in the very shallow bowl I’ve been using. Lo and behold, when he walked by it he took a huge bite. I almost fell over!

Best of luck, this can be pretty challenging!
How big is Rascal, can you post a few pics ?

Attachments

• C2F5FC57-E503-4972-8897-56946045194D.jpeg
    C2F5FC57-E503-4972-8897-56946045194D.jpeg
    82.7 KB · Views: 79
  • D4130B2E-F750-4659-91F8-DFC320680191.jpeg
    D4130B2E-F750-4659-91F8-DFC320680191.jpeg
    220.1 KB · Views: 77

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom