Phoenix worms in feces

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sayure

Ok I have been feeding my 5 mo. old dragon med - large phoenix worms along with a dish full of escarole every day with different green every other week. He has been having normal poops along with more watery poops with whole phoenix worms in it every other to every three days. Is this normal? He is eating around 50 - 60 worms per day. I need advice on what to do.

Lindsey

K9KidsLove

Sub-Adult Member
Hi... I am going to give you a list of questions to answer to have a better background so we can help you better.

How long is he from nose to tip of tail?
What size is his enclosure?
What substrate is on the floor?
What is the brand & number of his UVB?
How close can he get to the UVB?
What is the watts of his heat/light bulb?
What is the temp of his basking spot?
What is the temp of his cool end?
What do you take temps with? stick-on, temp gun, digital thermometer with a probe at the end of a wire?
What else does he eat besides Phoenix worms...be specific?
How often does he poop?
How often & how long do you bathe him?

If you could answer these, we might be aable to tweek his husbandry a bit and get him back on track.
Good luck
Patsy

Sayure

Original Poster
oops sorry forgot to post the info :oops:

How long is he from nose to tip of tail? 14 inches
What size is his enclosure? 40 gal breeder
What substrate is on the floor? tile
What is the brand & number of his UVB? MVB by exoterra solarglo 125 watt
How close can he get to the UVB? 12 inches
What is the watts of his heat/light bulb? additional 50 watt bulb added to above
What is the temp of his basking spot? 106-108 degrees F
What is the temp of his cool end? around 80 degrees F
What do you take temps with? stick-on, temp gun, digital thermometer with a probe at the end of a wire? digital w/ probe on basking spot
What else does he eat besides Phoenix worms...be specific? escarole and other greens per Beautiful Dragons list
How often does he poop? once or twice a day
How often & how long do you bathe him? bathe him every other to every two days and try for at least 5- 10 min. or longer depending on how squirmy he is

Lindsey

nesta's mommy

Sub-Adult Member
i think phoenix worms are just different when digested. i know that i've read multiple forums where there are whole/partially digested phoenix worms in their beardies poo. i think its ok! and i'm sure if its not, someone will correct me. i've also heard about piercing the skin of the phoenix worms, but that could just be rumor.

as long as they're dead, i think youre good

Sayure

Original Poster
No they are still alive and Bowser was trying to eat them!!! ICKY!! I called the vet and they said to switch him back to crickets and see if his digestive system regulates. I think it is because he is eating them whole instead of chewing like he does with the crickets. What do you guys think???

Lindsey

K9KidsLove

Sub-Adult Member
Hi...Is it possible you are feeding too many Phoenix worms at one time? Maybe feed fewer at a time but feed more often.
Gook luck
Patsy

mio

I had the same thing happen to my beardie. I found a live Phoenix Worm in his poop trying to get out. My problem was that after Bob ate them, he was too lazy to climb up to his basking spot. Thus he was not getting enough heat to fully digest them. So now after I feed them to him, I stick him up on his basking spot. No more live ones. Maybe try and make sure he is getting warm enough after he eats.

hayl55

Juvie Member
I had teh same problem a long time ago with Lilly, only it was whole crickets...all I ahd to do was increase her temps and make sure she was up under her heat lamp for a good half hour to an hour. No more whole crickets.. So try to makesure Bowser is getting enough heat to help digest..if hes still not digesting the worms, maybe try a different feeder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom