Petsmart beardies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Come on guys, please be nice! We do not tolerate personal attacks OR name calling. Some of the remarks made could be looked at as very derogatory & insulting. Please refrain from using inappropriate words that label or could be used to label people. That is extremely unprofessional. This thread will be watched & if further attacks occur, it will be closed immediately.

Thank you.
Tracie

GunRack

gimmexthexloot":sdmjbf0h said:
Yes i could have avoided being negative like that, i apologize spyder. I just have put so much time and effort, and even some of my own money buying correct supplies for our dragons that petco would not purchase for me, and yesterday i had a kid that had bought a beardie down the road at petsmart and they told the kid that he only needed a heating pad and no lights for his little beardie, so it really frustrates me when somebody blindy attacks all pet stores using information that they are not even positive is always true. But i do apologize spyder

Unfortunatly, thats the nature of the beast. Retail in general; you will have people who think they know, who sell you crap, who upsell you garbage for whatever reason. Its so much more worse because we are talking about live pets. How many times have I walked into Best Buy to be sold the wrong battery charger, sold something that had less then stellar results, etc. I mean, talk to any female on this board about taking their car into a mechanic. You have good ones, you have bad.

if we all can agree we have walked into x amount of pet stores and have seen something disturbing, we need to look at how we can change it. (not selling them is not a workable solution)

spyder79

Extreme Poster
gimmexthexloot":su6gjv6x said:
Yes i could have avoided being negative like that, i apologize spyder. I just have put so much time and effort, and even some of my own money buying correct supplies for our dragons that petco would not purchase for me, and yesterday i had a kid that had bought a beardie down the road at petsmart and they told the kid that he only needed a heating pad and no lights for his little beardie, so it really frustrates me when somebody blindy attacks all pet stores using information that they are not even positive is always true. But i do apologize spyder

Beings that I have been in groups that went as far as corporate trying to change and stop problems within stores I can promise my information is correct 99% of the time. So you happen to be the one guy that has a different way of doing things (as you say). Doesn't change the fact that at the end of the day Retail Giant stores have no business whatsoever selling a living creature of any kind (fish reptiles birds mice cats dogs or anything else not liste). And until there is something that governs what you and your counterparts do, something that you have to answer too when things are done wrong, I will hold my beliefs that Giant pet stores should only be supply stores.

And honestly, based on the word you used towards me on a public forum that could have offended countless people on here, I will choose to not accept that apology. We will just have to disagree and trust me I will not post on anything you say or ask ever. Have a great day.

xmikeyx1026

Hatchling Member
Petsmart is awful I went in there just to get some crickets and it looks like they have beardies that were just born, and in the tank they had full grown crickets. Then when I talked to someone they gave me some bs that the cricket fits between the eyes.(ughhhhhh) :angry5: :banghead:

YBS0502

Hatchling Member
i got yellowbeard from petsmart and ended up paying more than $300.00 in vet bills and what not i lucked up they had 1 in the little cage that was twice the size of the rest being 3 to 4 inches with nice colors but i would go with a breeder there is a place in greenville nc also good luck :D

kweber88

I actually worked at a Petsmart for about 2 years, and own a beardie myself.

You really just have to be careful who you talk to.. A lot of the people I worked with over in the pet care section were very passionate about pets and actually did a lot of research outside of work in order to better help out new customers.
But there were also a lot of people who could care less... it was just a job.
If the guy you talked to owned them... he's more trustworthy than most people there.

I also agree with a couple other people that have posted saying buying that young can be tricky. If it is your first time owning a beardie, I would recommend going to a breeder. A breeder will be able to tell you more specific things about the particular beardie than a petstore would. (At petsmart, we weren't even told how old the babies were... we just knew what day they arrived...and sometimes not even that.)

Babies from petstores are much more prone to getting worms and things like that too...

kimbasmom

Juvie Member
I bought Kimba from my local Petsmart (Which is also where I go for supplies. I prefer it to our Petco, though I go there when they send me coupons. LOL). Or should I say he claimed me, and I just paid bail. LOL!!! (Little guy was glass dancing like crazy every time I walked by. Totally melted my heart.) I was looking in there today and couldn't believe that he was once that small. He's growing like a weed, probably close to 14" long, and I got him on Memorial Day. Need to measure him again when he's sleeping, LOL. I also suspect I lucked out because I read and researched a lot Kimba, so he was able to thrive. (Which really, isn't that the point no matter where the beardie came from?)

But really, having done a lot of work in the parrot world as well (Ran a finch rescue and raised small parrots), it's usually best to buy from breeders. I love browsing the ads on this site. Part of it is finding a place, pet store or breeder, that's nearby and works for you. Stores can be as different as can breeders.

Bet you can't wait to see your new beardie! Show pictures.

bhigginsjr88

Hatchling Member
I buy some supplies from my local petsmart (well not really local bout 45 mins away but closest pet related store to me) but If I have to ask a question about my beardies or leos there is only one lady I will talk to. She is the only one in the reptile department who seems to actually know anything about reptiles. Everyone just gives me a made up bs answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom