Partially brumating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elliot Il Drago

Original Poster
Hello there!

My girl’s name is Ellie and she’s about 1 year and 2 months old. I’ma little concerned about some behavioral changes in the past week. Her tube uvb lights have both been changed within the past 3 months and her temp is 105 in the warm end and about 75 in the cool end.

Lately she’s only pooping once every 3-4 days - the poop looks pretty textbook. But she gets a dark beard in the morning and she’s not eating as much. I thought it could be her first brumation but in her tank she mainly basks… she never used her hides much but I always kept them preparing for the change of season.

The black beard doesn’t last. Sometimes it clears up after a warm bath or when I let her out to roam around. She’s also walking up later and sleeping dinner so I adjusted/ reduced her light schedule to about 9 hours of light, instead of 11.

Also! When I let her out to run around she finds dark corners and goes to sleep. But she won’t do this in her tank.

Is there such a thing as partial brumation? I just don’t understand why she isn’t using her hides if she’s brumating.

Because she isn’t eating as much I give her her vet prescribed omnivore supplement ever couple of days (much less than I would normally give her) every couple of days.

Any help would be so appreciated, thank you!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
waking later and sleeping earlier **** (sorry about the type-o)
Normal for winter hrs -- her pooping is fine as she gets older she will poop less - as long as her basking temps are correct 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer and on the spot where she sits for basking your good - the UVB is a T 5 or a T 8 and where in the tank is it? her finding a spot to sleep outside the tank is normal --- mine do it as well -- the black in the morning could be her absorbing heat first thing -- parital brumation is they will sleep for a couple of days come out and bask eating is on and off --- she sounds like shes doing normal things --

Elliot Il Drago

Original Poster
Normal for winter hrs -- her pooping is fine as she gets older she will poop less - as long as her basking temps are correct 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer and on the spot where she sits for basking your good - the UVB is a T 5 or a T 8 and where in the tank is it? her finding a spot to sleep outside the tank is normal --- mine do it as well -- the black in the morning could be her absorbing heat first thing -- parital brumation is they will sleep for a couple of days come out and bask eating is on and off --- she sounds like shes doing normal things --
Hi there! Thank you for that! She has both a t8 and a t5 right now. One is inside and the other is outside and they cover most of her 85 gallon tank (almost the entire length in fact).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 107
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 120

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hi there! Thank you for that! She has both a t8 and a t5 right now. One is inside and the other is outside and they cover most of her 85 gallon tank (almost the entire length in fact).
The T8 on top of the screen is not doing much good -- T 8's are not strong enough to go thru the screen so I would stick w/ your T 5 make sure basking distance is 12-15 inches directly above your basking decor piece -- what brand of bulbs are you using?

Elliot Il Drago

Original Poster
The T8 on top of the screen is not doing much good -- T 8's are not strong enough to go thru the screen so I would stick w/ your T 5 make sure basking distance is 12-15 inches directly above your basking decor piece -- what brand of bulbs are you using?
Well she’s been doing pretty well with these for months so that comes as a surprise! She had issues with her poop for a while and adding the t8 helped her get back to normal. It’s only about 8 inches above her basking spot. It’s a 20 inch Zilla and the other is ZooMed. I’d have to figure out a a way to get the t8 into the tank if this is an issue… the other one is tied up with an old leash she hated. Maybe I can do the same thing? But the actual fixture is different… OR I can flip them so the t5 is over her basking spot and the t8 is in the cool end? Open to suggestions, thank you!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Well she’s been doing pretty well with these for months so that comes as a surprise! She had issues with her poop for a while and adding the t8 helped her get back to normal. It’s only about 8 inches above her basking spot. It’s a 20 inch Zilla and the other is ZooMed. I’d have to figure out a a way to get the t8 into the tank if this is an issue… the other one is tied up with an old leash she hated. Maybe I can do the same thing? But the actual fixture is different… OR I can flip them so the t5 is over her basking spot and the t8 is in the cool end? Open to suggestions, thank you!
Ok a Zilla on top of the screen is not doing any good - please get a better bulb reptisun 10.0 T 8 those are way better bulbs- please no clear plastic cover over the bulb leave it off if there is one-- distance for the T 8 is 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor- I am going to post some stuff to hang it w/ it works great---------https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195

Last edited:

Elliot Il Drago

Original Poster
Ok a Zilla on top of the screen is not doing any good - please get a better bulb reptisun 10.0 T 8 those are way better bulbs- please no clear plastic cover over the bulb leave it off if there is one-- distance for the T 8 is 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor- I am going to post some stuff to hang it w/ it works great
Okay perfect! I can definitely make that switch. Thanks in advance for the tips on how to hang it! My only concern is her bumping her face against the bulb which she used to do when she was younger, which is why the uvb over her basking spot is over the mesh.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Okay perfect! I can definitely make that switch. Thanks in advance for the tips on how to hang it! My only concern is her bumping her face against the bulb which she used to do when she was younger, which is why the uvb over her basking spot is over the mesh.
I dont know why she would be doing that she should be able to get that close to her UVB -- the stuff I posted is like a Velcro strap cut into strips and wrap around the fixture ---

Elliot Il Drago

Original Poster
I dont know why she would be doing that she should be able to get that close to her UVB -- the stuff I posted is like a Velcro strap cut into strips and wrap around the fixture ---
She would get there from her basking spot. She was glass surfing at the time, we had just moved and she was frustrated. This was when she was in a 40 gallon. The photo I’m posting is her in her 85 gal tank. Not sure if you can see the distance between the lighting and her basking spot (the top hammock… she won’t bask in anything else). But hopefully that won’t be an issue this time. I can’t seem to find the post about the Velcro but I’ll keep looking! Thank you for the clarity on her behavioral change! I appreciate it.

Attachments

• 31D2E78F-77EF-4243-BFD1-1388AB2F251E.jpeg
    31D2E78F-77EF-4243-BFD1-1388AB2F251E.jpeg
    271.5 KB · Views: 126
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom