Parasite Help

AnnieT

Beardie name(s)
Emma
My baby/juvenile beardie most likely has a parasite. Talked to a vet tech online. I'm unable to get her into the vet until this Saturday. Is there a way I can treat it before then? Is it okay to wait that long? She has loose stools that smell awful. That's the only symptom though. She's eating, drinking, gaining weight, same activity level. This has been going on for about a week. I actually made my upcoming appointment then.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My baby/juvenile beardie most likely has a parasite. Talked to a vet tech online. I'm unable to get her into the vet until this Saturday. Is there a way I can treat it before then? Is it okay to wait that long? She has loose stools that smell awful. That's the only symptom though. She's eating, drinking, gaining weight, same activity level. This has been going on for about a week. I actually made my upcoming appointment then.
What is the diet your feeding? Can you post a pic of the poop please? Please go over the surface basking temps--and how are you getting them ? Also what kind of uvb are you using coil or a long tube fixture? Please collect a stool sample 24 hr drop it off at the vet -- please No enemas- they can end in disaster

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Don't take her in, they will want to do an enema on her and it is insanely dangerous. Instead just collect axsampke and take it in. Take it within 24 hours and don't refrigerate it.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
Don't take her in, they will want to do an enema on her and it is insanely dangerous. Instead just collect axsampke and take it in. Take it within 24 hours and don't refrigerate it.
or if they do require seeing your dragon, still take that sample and make it abundantly clear they do NOT have permission to perform an enema on your baby. we did that with sir henry after we rescued him and he had his first wellness check. the vet had no problem and made sure it was put in his file that enemas were not allowed.

AnnieT

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Emma
What is the diet your feeding? Can you post a pic of the poop please? Please go over the surface basking temps--and how are you getting them ? Also what kind of uvb are you using coil or a long tube fixture? Please collect a stool sample 24 hr drop it off at the vet -- please No enemas- they can end in disaster
Thank you for being so thorough. I've already gone through and double checked all of that. Her diet, temps, lighting are all good. I'll make sure that she doesn't get an enema

AnnieT

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Emma
How do I collect it? What do I keep it in?

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
So I do keep it in the fridge?
Personally, I would not. My vet prefers room temp, but it has to be from within 24 hours. He said they can do the test still if it is refrigerated, but it could be less accurate. That's just my personal experience of course, but I have seen many others on here telling us their vet is saying the same thing.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Personally, I would not. My vet prefers room temp, but it has to be from within 24 hours. He said they can do the test still if it is refrigerated, but it could be less accurate. That's just my personal experience of course, but I have seen many others on here telling us their vet is saying the same thing.
Agreed don't refrigerate

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My vet says in the fridge but you do what you feel-

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
maybe it is down to what each individual vet prefers? don't know on that one. i just follow the advice i'm given. it might be a good idea to call ahead and ask what they prefer just to be safe.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom