Pancake threw up and I'm freaking out.

rubi9229

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Pancake
Pancake just threw up about half an hour ago.

It took her two weeks to finally poop after she had her spay surgery on the 31st of March, but she's been eating a lot. I've never seen her clean her salad bowl this much. I had given her some canned pumpkin and the next day she finally let it out, but i don't know if that was all of it. She's looked really bloated.

Then today, she just threw up. It half looked like poop, but I could see it was made of greens, and the other half was a huge red mush, which just so happens to be the exact same color as the pellets I gave her yesterday, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't blood or anything. She also seemed very alert and not lethargic right after puking, but now she's a little 'meh.'

I just put her in the bath soon after to see if she would drink or poop and she let out a little urate, but no more poop.

She's also starting to shed almost everywhere on her body now, so I don't know how much that will affect her behavior as I'm monitoring her. She surfed the glass todag and yesterday briefly. She's back in her basking spot with her blankie and she seems a bit lethargic and she is occasionally closing her eyes.

Her belly has been really bloated so I'm wondering if she was just backed up from not pooping or drinking a lot.

I just texted the vet, here's what he said:
Screenshot_20230418_134402_Messages.jpg

She just finished her antibiotics on Saturday. I don't know how I feel about her being on more? Don't antibiotics upset your stomach too? What is metro?

rubi9229

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pancake
This just seems like a lot. I really hoped we were done with the vet visits and medications. I can't take her myself today or tomorrow and my mom works on Thursday so I'm really freaking out about how to handle this.
Screenshot_20230418_140130_Messages.jpg

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
They can really screw with their appetites also. Personally I'm not a fan of the pellets. That might be what upset het stomach.

rubi9229

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pancake
She just pooped and I put her back in the bath to clean her up cause she kinda ran in it and I'm trying to keep her stitches clean.

I cleaned her up and then ran a fresh bath and she's chilling in there now. I hope she'll let out the rest of the poo :( I'm so worried about my baby

rubi9229

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pancake
They can really screw with their appetites also. Personally I'm not a fan of the pellets. That might be what upset het stomach.
I try not to give them to her too much cause i know theyre not super great, just a treat sometimes, but she's always been obsessed with them so I keep them on hand

rubi9229

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pancake
I just wanted to update that I gave her multiple baths hoping she would let the rest out and my god she did. She's fine now I think. That was so scary

rubi9229

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pancake
It might have just been the odd combination + large amount of foods. Did you actually see her puke ?
I heard a wet sound and I turned around and it was in front of her and she had some on the bottom of her mouth, and she was smacking her lips. I didn't actually see it come out but I'm 99.9% sure it was puke. A lot of things would've been different if it had come out the other end

Nikki.D

Hatchling Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Garnie
Pancake just threw up about half an hour ago.

It took her two weeks to finally poop after she had her spay surgery on the 31st of March, but she's been eating a lot. I've never seen her clean her salad bowl this much. I had given her some canned pumpkin and the next day she finally let it out, but i don't know if that was all of it. She's looked really bloated.

Then today, she just threw up. It half looked like poop, but I could see it was made of greens, and the other half was a huge red mush, which just so happens to be the exact same color as the pellets I gave her yesterday, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't blood or anything. She also seemed very alert and not lethargic right after puking, but now she's a little 'meh.'

I just put her in the bath soon after to see if she would drink or poop and she let out a little urate, but no more poop.

She's also starting to shed almost everywhere on her body now, so I don't know how much that will affect her behavior as I'm monitoring her. She surfed the glass todag and yesterday briefly. She's back in her basking spot with her blankie and she seems a bit lethargic and she is occasionally closing her eyes.

Her belly has been really bloated so I'm wondering if she was just backed up from not pooping or drinking a lot.

I just texted the vet, and here's what he said:
View attachment 79715

She just finished her antibiotics on Saturday. I don't know how I feel about her being on more? Don't antibiotics upset your stomach too? What is metro?
Maybe she ate too much for her stomach to hold or the pellets upset her tummy. I recommend not feeding her pellets. Hope she gets better!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor girl, I'm glad she is feeling better now!
Do the pellets happen to have corn or soy in them, by chance? If so, that is most likely what
upset her tummy because they are genetically modified organisms & hard on the system &
the organs to process.
I hope she is going to be back to normal.

Tracie

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
Hi there, my beardie just got spayed last week too ! I was referred to pancakes story when I was worried about surgery so thank you so much for sharing it, it really brought me a lot of encouragement during a scary time to see your girl cope so well.

Does she look bloated now? I was told after my girls surgery to offer small amounts of food early on but much like Pancake, my girl Charlie also had a pretty healthy appetite right after her surgery. I was also anxious about the poop but Charlie thankfully did one (and then a few more regular poops) since her operation a week ago. It does sound probably the case your girl just needed to do a good poo too, so glad that she finally did =)

I've been giving Charlie 2.5mls of plain water after her oral antibiotics to try to keep her system flushed while she's on them. Perhaps this might have helped the poops along? I agree with not jumping right to additional antibiotics, not without bloodwork to confirm if there is still some infection present. Please keep us updated on how she's doing !

Edit: oh! I also replaced her UVB for good measure too- just in case. Then again it was close to being due for me, so not sure if this is the same case for pancake 😅

rubi9229

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pancake
Hi there, my beardie just got spayed last week too ! I was referred to pancakes story when I was worried about surgery so thank you so much for sharing it, it really brought me a lot of encouragement during a scary time to see your girl cope so well.

Does she look bloated now? I was told after my girls surgery to offer small amounts of food early on but much like Pancake, my girl Charlie also had a pretty healthy appetite right after her surgery. I was also anxious about the poop but Charlie thankfully did one (and then a few more regular poops) since her operation a week ago. It does sound probably the case your girl just needed to do a good poo too, so glad that she finally did =)

I've been giving Charlie 2.5mls of plain water after her oral antibiotics to try to keep her system flushed while she's on them. Perhaps this might have helped the poops along? I agree with not jumping right to additional antibiotics, not without bloodwork to confirm if there is still some infection present. Please keep us updated on how she's doing !

Edit: oh! I also replaced her UVB for good measure too- just in case. Then again it was close to being due for me, so not sure if this is the same case for pancake 😅
I'm SO happy to hear that sharing my experience helped you through yours.🥺 She was bloated at the time, yeah, but I'm pretty sure she let out like two weeks worth of poo yesterday. She's in the bath again right now and she just drank a lot of water. She's looking better than ever!

I hope you and Charlie are doing well. :)

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom