Paddling in shallow water...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adriana0918

Hatchling Member
So I've noticed that the past few times I put my 6 month old dragon in some water, a few minutes later he'll start paddling on one side at a time. The water is usually no higher than his joints but today i put the water no higher than his feet and he still did it. He will paddle with his front left and back left at the same time and then pause and do the same on his right. Then all of a sudden today he started kicking one back leg at a time and did this for a few seconds with his right back leg and then with his left. He also would quickly puff his beard in and out slightly occasionally.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds like maybe just his way of playing in the water. If he isn't appearing to panic or trying to get out of the water then he may just want to swim a bit and just does it by paddling one side at a time. It's good that you're keeping the water relatively shallow.

ruben0311

Juvie Member
that kinda sounds like digging behavior, funny its in the water, maybe he just likes the way it feels haha

Adriana0918

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks, I've also been concerned since his poop has been and little softer than normal lately. It also has a dark green hue to it. His urates are also soft and sometimes a little puddle comes out as well. It isn't a lot of water but I'm concerned of the color and consistency of his poop. From time to time his legs will twitch as well and I know that's a sign of MBD but he gets lots of calcium and Phoenix worms as well as 14 hours with a MVB light bulb. I know he's probably okay but I just wanted to make sure anything here doesn't stand out. He's been gaining weight steadily and eating normal. I give him Phoenix worms as a staple for now, occasional Dubias since I only just started my colony and want it to grow before I feed them, a big handful of fresh collard greens, and commercial pellets for a little more balance plus he loves them! His basking temp is around 100-110 depending on the room temp and it fades to about 80-85.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If he's eating well and gaining weight, that's a good sign. The puddle and moist poops is probably just due to excess hydration passing through his system and is normal. It just means he's doing well and getting enough hydration from his food. If the poops start to become really messy and stinky then it may be an issue but it doesn't sound like that's the case.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
His behavior looks common, but perhaps he's looking for a bit of traction. Try putting a washcloth on the bottom of the sink so he can easily grip it and stand up or move around if he wants to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

My 2 year old male dragon has been shedding for 2-3 weeks. I’m worried about it being a stuck shed. I’ve seen on other websites they should not soak and then I’ve seen that they should be soaked. So my question is when should I soak him?
Hello , im still figureing out this platform,
So violet laid eggs, weeks ago, she was doing very well , in the last 3 to 4 days her poop was more than runny . Haven't changed much in her diet , an appetite is very good. Should I be considering a parasites remedy as she does get bloated as soon as she starts to eat.
My baby beardie likes to sit in their water bowl. I'm curious on whether it would hurt them or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momof3drangons
Top Bottom