Overweight dragon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oxymiocysu

Original Poster
My girl Pancake is 588 grams, ~19" long, 3 years old, likes to lay infertile eggs, and takes massive poos.
Some say she's healthy but the vet says she's overweight. Her diet is 90% veg (she readily eats her salads) and 10% protein (mainly dubias) since being diagnosed overweight (I understand that may be an incorrect ratio - please give me a better one to work with for her situation if so!). But she's lazy so she doesn't exercise as much as I'd like her to, even when allowed to free roam.
Her mom was somewhere in the 500's and was missing all but ~1.5" of her tail but was never called overweight by the vet. Her dad was a little longer and lighter than her and was just fine, too.
Is she overweight? If so, how can I get her to lose weight?

Attachments

• 20211213_140109.jpg
    20211213_140109.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 159
  • 20211213_140126.jpg
    20211213_140126.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 113
  • 20211213_140143.jpg
    20211213_140143.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My girl Pancake is 588 grams, ~19" long, 3 years old, likes to lay infertile eggs, and takes massive poos.
Some say she's healthy but the vet says she's overweight. Her diet is 90% veg (she readily eats her salads) and 10% protein (mainly dubias) since being diagnosed overweight (I understand that may be an incorrect ratio - please give me a better one to work with for her situation if so!). But she's lazy so she doesn't exercise as much as I'd like her to, even when allowed to free roam.
Her mom was somewhere in the 500's and was missing all but ~1.5" of her tail but was never called overweight by the vet. Her dad was a little longer and lighter than her and was just fine, too.
She is chubby -- salads would be a good diet for her -- how many times a week are you feeding the insects? I would try cutting the insects down to once a week and the rest of the week offer only salads -- then let her free roam as well -- 2 hrs per day if you can -- it sounds like shes holding out for insect day -- that is why I asked how many times / week are you feeding

Oxymiocysu

Original Poster
She is chubby -- salads would be a good diet for her -- how many times a week are you feeding the insects? I would try cutting the insects down to once a week and the rest of the week offer only salads -- then let her free roam as well -- 2 hrs per day if you can -- it sounds like shes holding out for insect day -- that is why I asked how many times / week are you feeding
She has greens always available and gets roaches once a week.
Free roaming time doesn't usually last very long (by her choice), as she'll either run around for a little and then go back into her tank or go hide under something and lay there. She likes digging, so at least she gets some exercise there when she has her box.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
She has greens always available and gets roaches once a week.
Free roaming time doesn't usually last very long (by her choice), as she'll either run around for a little and then go back into her tank or go hide under something and lay there. She likes digging, so at least she gets some exercise there when she has her box.
Is she gravid?

Too funny my girl pancake is 900grams ish give or take a few idk exactly how old she is but only that she shouldn't be more than 2 as the person or p.o.s. I rescued her from had gotten her as a baby she was so massive when I got her and come to find out she wasn't being properly fed or cared for at all so idk how she got as big as she did he thought as well as I did with her size before i sexed her that it was a male until of course she laid 35 beautiful I may add infertile eggs for me she loved to lay too what a digger and good momma she burried all her baby's perfectly it was so amazing to watch I have other dragons who wud lay the eggs fertile I may add just anywhere like literally she moves around faster than my smaller guys pancake too so he size hasn't impacted her mobility at all my only worry is she does has some fat pockets

Attachments

• 20211026_001418.jpg
    20211026_001418.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 97
Too funny my girl pancake is 900grams ish give or take a few idk exactly how old she is but only that she shouldn't be more than 2 as the person or p.o.s. I rescued her from had gotten her as a baby she was so massive when I got her and come to find out she wasn't being properly fed or cared for at all so idk how she got as big as she did he thought as well as I did with her size before i sexed her that it was a male until of course she laid 35 beautiful I may add infertile eggs for me she loved to lay too what a digger and good momma she burried all her baby's perfectly it was so amazing to watch I have other dragons who wud lay the eggs fertile I may add just anywhere like literally she moves around faster than my smaller guys pancake too so he size hasn't impacted her mobility at all my only worry is she does has some fat pockets
Btw I do not think that is over weight I had a female who I recently lost unfortunately and broke my heart but she was 750 grams and she was just hitting overweight for her size she was missing some of her tail but was a big girl pancake has her by almost 200 grams they were close in age as well and still growing

Attachments

• 20210703_174412.jpg
    20210703_174412.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 114
  • 20210801_005628.jpg
    20210801_005628.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 124
  • 20210801_005626.jpg
    20210801_005626.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 108
  • 20210801_005636.jpg
    20210801_005636.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 103
  • 20210807_222424.jpg
    20210807_222424.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 105
  • 20210703_174315.jpg
    20210703_174315.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 115
Btw I do not think that is over weight I had a female who I recently lost unfortunately and broke my heart but she was 750 grams and she was just hitting overweight for her size she was missing some of her tail but was a big girl pancake has her by almost 200 grams they were close in age as well and still growing
The one thing I will say is u said she isn't very active if I was u I wud try supplementing her diet with reptiboost now I say supplement not replace if u read the directions it gives u exactly what u need to give her based on weight and wether or not u are using the flukers reptiboost as a supplement or meal /caloric replacement it breaks it down to weight and measurements to the t I love that stuff also my go to is I make slurrys I take half of all the veggies and greens that I feed them I put it in water and boil it on a slow low simmer for a few hours till the stuff is almost mushy important part is save like a cup or 2 of the water it has all that nutrients in it very important part the amount u save will depend on how much ur making of course I freeze half and refrigerate half it's good a lil over a week in the fridge after u boil it all down use the liquid u saved and put it all in a blender every single one of my baby's and I have had almost 43 at once (Bec of a clutch) absolutely love it I've absolutely never ever had to force it onto my baby's I started doing this Bec my first female and the male I rescued hated Andi mean hated there greens and wud not eat them so I did this and it's a go to staple for all my baby's they get slurry like 1 time a week atleast I use a syringe (no needle obviously) and just put a lil on there nose and they lap it up like crazy sometimes I'll use a tiny spoon like a baby spoon it's the cutest thing and also a great way to introduce things they may need in there diet but don't like a variety is the best thing

Oxymiocysu

Original Poster
Is she gravid?
I'm honestly not sure. 🤷‍♀️ With how much she's been in her box (hours at a time) I want to say she is but I can't make out any eggs when I feel her. She's still eating and pooping, her poos and urates have both been smaller than usual though. Worth taking her to get an exam/x-ray over or should I wait it out a bit longer? 😟
Too funny my girl pancake is 900grams ish [...] she loved to lay too what a digger and good momma she burried all her baby's perfectly it was so amazing to watch
Looks like both our Pancake's have a thing for digging! 🤭It's good exercise and it's definitely a beautiful thing seeing how they go about laying, even if the eggs are infertile. Your girl is beautiful, by the way! ☺️
The one thing I will say is u said she isn't very active if I was u I wud try supplementing her diet with reptiboost [...] I love that stuff also my go to is I make slurrys I take half of all the veggies and greens that I feed them I put it in water and boil it on a slow low simmer for a few hours till the stuff is almost mushy important part is save like a cup or 2 of the water it has all that nutrients in it [...] use the liquid u saved and put it all in a blender
I'll look into Repta Boost. Do you also use the veggies in the slurry, or just the veg water and Repta Boost?

I'm honestly not sure. 🤷‍♀️ With how much she's been in her box (hours at a time) I want to say she is but I can't make out any eggs when I feel her. She's still eating and pooping, her poos and urates have both been smaller than usual though. Worth taking her to get an exam/x-ray over or should I wait it out a bit longer? 😟

Looks like both our Pancake's have a thing for digging! 🤭It's good exercise and it's definitely a beautiful thing seeing how they go about laying, even if the eggs are infertile. Your girl is beautiful, by the way! ☺️

I'll look into Repta Boost. Do you also use the veggies in the slurry, or just the veg water and Repta Boost?
Veggies and the greens u can put
a small amount aside add fruit and u will have a sweet one I make a small batch of the sweet but they love it and u deff add every veggie you can grab 2 or 3 diff greens and 2 or 3 diff veggies

Oxymiocysu

Original Poster
Veggies and the greens u can put
a small amount aside add fruit and u will have a sweet one I make a small batch of the sweet but they love it and u deff add every veggie you can grab 2 or 3 diff greens and 2 or 3 diff veggies
I ordered some Repta+Boost and will give her a slurry today. I'll let you know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom