Overfeeding baby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juniper

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Henry
Hello! I got baby Henry last Wednesday. He is a little over three months old and a great eater. I'm following the guidelines about how much to feed babies (as many bugs as they'll eat in ten minutes a couple times a day, as much salad as they want which probably won't be much), but I just wonder if it is too much because he is just goin' for it and eating what seems like a staggering amount of food and growing very fast. This seems like probably good news, but I just want to make sure. So far, he's had mustard greens, dandelion greens, finely grated butternut squash, bsfl, and dubias a little smaller than the space between his eyes. He gets fed three times a day (I heard you should break it up into a greater number of smaller feedings when they're little so they don't eat too much at once and get impacted) and goes to town each time--several bites of veggies first, and then 20 or so dubias and a few tiny worms. He does a big poop every afternoon, so I know he's not getting impacted.

But this guy was 51 grams when I got him five days ago and now he is 62. Both weights were taken after a dinner that was preceded by an afternoon poop, so he was the same level of full. Is that a healthy amount of weight to gain in that time, or am I feeding him too much? He runs and jumps a lot and his tummy does not drag when he runs, which I know is the measure of an overweight adult, but he does have a chunky little torso. (If he is eating too much, I'd still much rather have that than the opposite problem, which I've had before, knock on wood.)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I sounds like your giving him the right amount -- if the insects are a little smaller than what he can eat that would be why hes eating so many - hes going to eat till hes full -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom