Outside Enclosure Lighting

Shotty.Sub

Beardie name(s)
Fiona
Hi!

Our beardie loves to hang out with us outside their tank. We don't let her out too long, but we were looking at getting her a mini light so she's not completely missing out on her heat/uv.

We've ran our tank set up by the vet and forums here and bought all the best lights we could.

Since this is just for the occasional hang out on our computer desk, I was thinking something like this might be better than nothing.

Let me know if you have any better recommendations.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I think your on the right track, but i don't know the quality of the bulbs in that set up. I would probably use a powersun mercury vapor bulb. They are a bit pricey but are known good bulbs (in certain set ups). I don't use the mvb in my habitats because i want to adjust my uvb and heat independently, but as a place for them outside their normal habitat it's a valid option.

Shotty.Sub

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Fiona
I think your on the right track, but i don't know the quality of the bulbs in that set up. I would probably use a powersun mercury vapor bulb. They are a bit pricey but are known good bulbs (in certain set ups). I don't use the mvb in my habitats because i want to adjust my uvb and heat independently, but as a place for them outside their normal habitat it's a valid option.
Thanks for the tip! Yeah, we have her the reptisun bulbs for her enclosure. For outside we're just looking to ensure she gets a little something.

We often catch her trying to peek around the corner to see what we're doing in the living room lol Thought it might be nice for her to have a little mini spot.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
A lot of folks do, do that and with good results. My dragons are in their habitats all day while we work so they get plenty uvb, i use the cheap heating pads from family dollar when i get them out in the evenings. They can be out as long as they want like that. The reason i use the ones from family dollar is they don't get that hot, and they don't have an auto shut off feature so i don't have to keep turning them back on. (I did just mention in another thread I'm lazy lmao 🤣 😂) thats my brood minus Zen, i can't let him that close, he is girl crazy.

Attachments

• 20230205_193732.jpg
    20230205_193732.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 71

Shotty.Sub

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Fiona
A lot of folks do, do that and with good results. My dragons are in their habitats all day while we work so they get plenty uvb, i use the cheap heating pads from family dollar when i get them out in the evenings. They can be out as long as they want like that. The reason i use the ones from family dollar is they don't get that hot, and they don't have an auto shut off feature so i don't have to keep turning them back on. (I did just mention in another thread I'm lazy lmao 🤣 😂) thats my brood minus Zen, i can't let him that close, he is girl crazy.
Wow they're all piled in there! So if she on her good lighting most of the day I shouldn't have to worry about uvb in my outside set up?

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
we usually give sir henry about 2 hours time outside the cage a day without lights/heat. i wouldn't worry about it unless you're not doing more time than that. Unless your UVB light is a T8 tube since they offer lower UVB amounts anyway.

Shotty.Sub

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Fiona
we usually give sir henry about 2 hours time outside the cage a day without lights/heat. i wouldn't worry about it unless you're not doing more time than that. Unless your UVB light is a T8 tube since they offer lower UVB amounts anyway.
Oh, nice, good to know. Thank you.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
Oh, nice, good to know. Thank you.
you're welcome.

and i should have mentioned that we keep the house about 70°during the day, so if your house is colder i'd do less time, more from the heat than lack of UVB during that time.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I just use the cheap heating pads, my guys are out from 5/5:30 to 9/10. By 5 they have had all day under the uvb and the heating pads keep them warm enough. If you want to see the bad side of a dragon, let me not give them their time out in the evenings it usually takes 2 days before they get over it.

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
I just use the cheap heating pads, my guys are out from 5/5:30 to 9/10. By 5 they have had all day under the uvb and the heating pads keep them warm enough. If you want to see the bad side of a dragon, let me not give them their time out in the evenings it usually takes 2 days before they get over it.
Wow, they walking out for 4 hours.
Do you feed them when they are out?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
No, by the time i get them out it's to late in the evening for food. Usually they just chill on the couch with us, sometimes one or two will want to explore. There is two of us watching them so we can let them roam a bit. The only exception is when Zen is out, he is over 1000 grams and is girl crazy, so if he is out one of us is dedicated to keeping him from messing with everyone else.

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
No, by the time i get them out it's to late in the evening for food. Usually they just chill on the couch with us, sometimes one or two will want to explore. There is two of us watching them so we can let them roam a bit. The only exception is when Zen is out, he is over 1000 grams and is girl crazy, so if he is out one of us is dedicated to keeping him from messing with everyone else.
I think you have a lot of fun with your dragons team!
I usually do several walks for an hour, because I feed 2 times per day and at 5 o'clock my dragon has dinner.
Now, when he walks during the day under the MVB lamp, I began to put a salad near the place of his walk, strange, but he likes to eat salad just when he walks.

Last edited:

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Hey if you can get him to eat salads by any means, I'd call that a win lol 😆

Beardie name(s)
Fire
Your dragons live the best life! :love:

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom