Orion keeps running away

Orion1002

Original Poster
So I’ve had my new baby, Orion, for a month and two days now and I absolutely love her. She’s 12 inches as of last week and has just finished her first shed at home (I’m thinking 4-6 months old from her length). I thought she’s been slowly getting used to me and calming down around me but after she finished shedding she’s been so skittish. Like I put my hand in and she would normally let me pet her on her head and down back and she’d close her eyes, but now I go to pet her on her head (approaching from front and side) and she runs away from me or puffs her beard out (it doesn’t get black just puffs up). I try to hold her at least once a day, maybe two but try not to do it too many times in one day. When I hold her she used to sit and stay on my chest or shoulder but now she has been scurrying off me as soon as she gets a chance. I gave her a bath last week about 5 days out of the week to help her finish her shed which is the only thing that’s changed, but usually she gets a bath 3 days a week and multiple spritzings during the day. I try to keep her basking spot around 110 (checked every day with a temp gun) and she has a T5 tube UVB bulb, then at night she has a ceramic bulb. She’s fed 40-50 BSFL twice a day as I can’t keep crickets or roaches, and veggies are always available during the day. I put calcium powder and a multivitamin with D3 in it on the veg every day.

I’m just so down because I thought we were making progress and she was beginning to like me, but the last few days she has just been so skittish and irritable. She’s never tried to bite but I hate the thought that I stress her out so much she runs from me, and I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. She still has some stress lines on her belly which is concerning to me as I thought they would have gone away by a month after coming home (although they definitely have faded a little bit). If someone could help me out with advice or tell me if I’m doing something wrong I’d be super grateful. I just want her to like me 😭

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Your not doing anything wrong, it takes tine, patience, and perseverance. Remember you are a giant to her. She only has 4 or 5 months experience in the world so she is still learning. Try hand feeding her, and cuddle with her just before bedtime, let her snuggle in on you and keep her out till she is sound asleep. Try not to wake her when you tuck her in. But above all be patient, she will learn to trust you but it does take time.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So I’ve had my new baby, Orion, for a month and two days now and I absolutely love her. She’s 12 inches as of last week and has just finished her first shed at home (I’m thinking 4-6 months old from her length). I thought she’s been slowly getting used to me and calming down around me but after she finished shedding she’s been so skittish. Like I put my hand in and she would normally let me pet her on her head and down back and she’d close her eyes, but now I go to pet her on her head (approaching from front and side) and she runs away from me or puffs her beard out (it doesn’t get black just puffs up). I try to hold her at least once a day, maybe two but try not to do it too many times in one day. When I hold her she used to sit and stay on my chest or shoulder but now she has been scurrying off me as soon as she gets a chance. I gave her a bath last week about 5 days out of the week to help her finish her shed which is the only thing that’s changed, but usually she gets a bath 3 days a week and multiple spritzings during the day. I try to keep her basking spot around 110 (checked every day with a temp gun) and she has a T5 tube UVB bulb, then at night she has a ceramic bulb. She’s fed 40-50 BSFL twice a day as I can’t keep crickets or roaches, and veggies are always available during the day. I put calcium powder and a multivitamin with D3 in it on the veg every day.

I’m just so down because I thought we were making progress and she was beginning to like me, but the last few days she has just been so skittish and irritable. She’s never tried to bite but I hate the thought that I stress her out so much she runs from me, and I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. She still has some stress lines on her belly which is concerning to me as I thought they would have gone away by a month after coming home (although they definitely have faded a little bit). If someone could help me out with advice or tell me if I’m doing something wrong I’d be super grateful. I just want her to like me 😭
Please get a digital probe thermometer- 2 of them--you want actual surface basking temps-- they are the most accurate-- where is your uvb? In the tank or top of screen? We need proper placement and distance - this is normal - she is still acclimating to her surroundings - place a fleece blanket or piece of clothing in her hide w/ your scent on it - start hand feeding her the bsfl so she starts to trust you -

Orion1002

Original Poster
I’ve tried one probe but it was hard getting it to the basking spot without having the wire stretched across the tank. I’ve been looking for one to figure out a placement that works, but have been using a temp gun in the mean time.
Her uvb light is placed on top of the screen and it’s a 40 gallon tank.
I will definitely try the scent clothing and the night time cuddles tricks! I usually hand feed her each BSFL with tweezers, but have been trying to put them in my hand recently. She will eat them out of my hand but still backs away from it for the first 10-15 larvae until she realizes that’s where they’re coming from I guess.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Patience is key...she is like this today but trust me--- it will seem like overnight but once she gets comfortable with you, she'll never stop loving on you. PLease go at her pace. It will be worth it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I’ve tried one probe but it was hard getting it to the basking spot without having the wire stretched across the tank. I’ve been looking for one to figure out a placement that works, but have been using a temp gun in the mean time.
Her uvb light is placed on top of the screen and it’s a 40 gallon tank.
I will definitely try the scent clothing and the night time cuddles tricks! I usually hand feed her each BSFL with tweezers, but have been trying to put them in my hand recently. She will eat them out of my hand but still backs away from it for the first 10-15 larvae until she realizes that’s where they’re coming from I guess.
Here is a digital probe Zoo Med Reptile Terrarium Digital Thermometer | reptile Humidity & Temperature Control | PetSmart take it and place the probe on the spot where she sits for basking - you dont need to leave it there stick it to the side of the tank after you get the temp - leave it there for 10 minutes or so - the other one place on the cool side of the tank - they will give you accurate surface basking temps for the basking decor and accurate air temps on the cool side -- please post a pic of the screen or tell me if its a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type

Orion1002

Original Poster
Oh perfect! I didn’t realize you didn’t have to leave the probe there all of the time. Now I feel dumb haha. Here is the mesh type that’s on top of her tank. The fixture for the tube is the Zoo Med ReptiSun Reptile Terrarium Hood.
4F48B781-4820-4F82-B0B3-6D24E38FD555.jpeg

She hasn’t glass surfed in a while but did after I had her out for 5 or so minutes today, and she did the same scurrying away off of me when I sat down with her today. She doesn’t really even close her eyes when I pet her head anymore and I know that is a sign they’re comfortable with you. I just feel like I’m doing something wrong with how I’m interacting with her to make her scared of me.
This is her btw, very excited about breakfast time.
25B54CD1-AF0B-405D-A1BA-2D4C9F4C5540.jpeg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Oh perfect! I didn’t realize you didn’t have to leave the probe there all of the time. Now I feel dumb haha. Here is the mesh type that’s on top of her tank. The fixture for the tube is the Zoo Med ReptiSun Reptile Terrarium Hood. View attachment 75217

She hasn’t glass surfed in a while but did after I had her out for 5 or so minutes today, and she did the same scurrying away off of me when I sat down with her today. She doesn’t really even close her eyes when I pet her head anymore and I know that is a sign they’re comfortable with you. I just feel like I’m doing something wrong with how I’m interacting with her to make her scared of me.
This is her btw, very excited about breakfast time.
View attachment 75220
The screen is a wide hole so the uvb can sit on top- please have a piece of basking decor directly under the uvb 8-10 inches- keep working w/ her she will come around

Orion1002

Original Poster
Just thought I’d give an update but sleeping together is going well and she’s a bit less jumpy when I got to bring her out. She will still glass surf some times and likes to jump off of me on the couch still but I’m hoping the more time she spends with me she will grow more attached 🥲 Going to continue trying to get her used to me slowly!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Young beardies are more active than older ones. They like to explore and check things out. It's harder to keep younger beardies still. By the time she is 2 you'll be tickling behind her back legs to try to get her to move lol.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom