Orange in bearded dragon poop ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey , my little one is about 5 months old and I am not sure how big he is . His enclosure is all the proper temps on the cool and warm size of his tank . I feed him about a dozen repti-cal dusted , gut loaded crickets and kale a day . He has been acting normal but this morning I noticed his poop wasn't really formed , super runny and dark green with white uriates , but there was a blob of orange in between the two . I haven't fed him anything orange . I'm a first time beardie owner and I just don't want him to be sick : ( can someone help ? Also , this is my first post on here so I'm not sure how to add pictures to show you guys .

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
The orange may just be from a bit of dehydration if it is attached to the urate. How often are you bathing him? Also, you are really underfeeding him. A 5 month old should be fed as many crickets as he wants in 10-15 minutes, twice a day. That could be about 50 or more. Also, kale is really not good for them either - it binds the calcium, so your beardie cannot absorb it. This can cause lots of problems.

To post a picture, upload it to photobucket, and then copy the IMG code and paste it here.

If you would like to review the rest of your set up, here are the questions:

How old is your dragon?
How long have you had your dragon?
How long is your dragon?
What is the sex of your dragon?
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in?
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank?
Do you use UVB lights?
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)?
How old is your UVB bulb?
How close can your dragon get to the UVB, and where is the UVB bulb located?
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? Is it a white or colored bulb?
Di you have any type of night time heat source (ceramic heat emitter, colored bulb, etc)?
How long are lights on each day?
What are the basking temps?
What is the cool side temp?
What is the night time temp?
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun?
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps?
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad?
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)?
How many live feeders do you offer at time?
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc?
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)?
Do you bathe your dragon? How often?
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath?
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done?
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon?

SamandSmog

Original Poster
Thanks for all your feedback ! I wound up taking him to the vet because he needed a check up anyway . He went over pretty much every question you asked and then some ! I do feed him twice daily , that was a typo on my part . It turned out to be a little bit of ketchup I forgot he had gotten ahold of via the leftovers of my dinner plate he decided to run across !
: )

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
It's good that you feed him twice a day, but you still need to offer more crickets at a time! If you would still like to review the rest of that stuff with the amazing community here, you're welcome to fill out the questions, even though you already talked to the vet. Sometimes vets are a little out of date on info (not saying anything bad about your vet, there's no way any vet could keep up on all animals though!).

SamandSmog

Original Poster
okay ! I'll up his crickets ! I always use this site as my go to place when I have any questions or issues , even though I just became a member today ! Thank you so much for all your help !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom