Orange Color in Urate?

Beardie name(s)
Tinkey, Stinker, Tubby
Hi,

I've had my bearded dragon Stinker for almost a year now, with pretty much 0 issues. I've noticed this week he's had 2 poops with this strange colored urate. At first I thought it was pink, but it seems as if it's orange? I had been doing some reading in previous posts/other forums about possible dehydration or an overabundance of calcium. I didn't think there was an issue with either, but now I am not sure. I am highly considering making a vet appointment, but wanted to double check first that it was worth going for.

He gets a multivitamin x2 a week, and calcium (no D3) x3 a week.
I always make sure to spray his greens with water for extra hydration as well. He doesn't drink out of his water bowl and mostly uses it as a toilet.
He doesn't show any signs of dehydration, his skin is elastic, he eats well (aside from being picky), and he's not lethargic.

I had also wanted to add that I had noticed a strange behavior recently, again within the last week or so. He tends to open his mouth (not gaping) every so often. I was concerned about RI, but he has no symptoms. Is this worth being concerned over or can this be a normal behavior?

Any advice is appreciated, please let me know if there's anything that I should change. I've tried reading around on different posts on how often to give supplements/calcium, I thought what I was doing was fine.

This is his setup:
- 10.0 T5 UVB tube
- 40 Gallon Tank
- (89F - 98F) (Humidity - 26%) for basking/hot side
- (76F - 80F) (Humidity - 35%) for cool side

(Not sure if this is necessary, but these are the links to the vitamins/calcium that I use.)

Multivitamin (x2 a week) - https://www.amazon.com/Repashy-Calcium-Plus-LoD-JAR/dp/B00DLJRMV2?th=1
Calcium (x3 a week) - https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Reptile-Calcium-without/dp/B000UJPHL8

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_5380.jpg
    IMG_5380.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_5281.jpg
    IMG_5281.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 98

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi,

I've had my bearded dragon Stinker for almost a year now, with pretty much 0 issues. I've noticed this week he's had 2 poops with this strange colored urate. At first I thought it was pink, but it seems as if it's orange? I had been doing some reading in previous posts/other forums about possible dehydration or an overabundance of calcium. I didn't think there was an issue with either, but now I am not sure. I am highly considering making a vet appointment, but wanted to double check first that it was worth going for.

I always make sure to spray his greens with water for extra hydration as well. He doesn't drink out of his water bowl and mostly uses it as a toilet.
He doesn't show any signs of dehydration, his skin is elastic, he eats well (aside from being picky), and he's not lethargic.

I had also wanted to add that I had noticed a strange behavior recently, again within the last week or so. He tends to open his mouth (not gaping) every so often. I was concerned about RI, but he has no symptoms. Is this worth being concerned over or can this be a normal behavior?

Any advice is appreciated, please let me know if there's anything that I should change. I've tried reading around on different posts on how often to give supplements/calcium, I thought what I was doing was fine.

This is his setup:
- 10.0 T5 UVB tube
- 40 Gallon Tank

(Not sure if this is necessary, but these are the links to the vitamins/calcium that I use.)

Multivitamin (x2 a week) - https://www.amazon.com/Repashy-Calcium-Plus-LoD-JAR/dp/B00DLJRMV2?th=1
Calcium (x3 a week) - https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Reptile-Calcium-without/dp/B000UJPHL8

Thank you!
What are you feeding? carrots? It looks orange to me what about other orange colored veggies? Where is the T 5 in the tank or top of screen?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hi,

This is his setup:
- 10.0 T5 UVB tube
- 40 Gallon Tank

Thank you!
@AHBD

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Tinkey, Stinker, Tubby
What are you feeding? carrots? It looks orange to me what about other orange colored veggies? Where is the T 5 in the tank or top of screen?
He gets a mix of collard greens, escarole, bok choy, and squash (once in a while kale). 2-3x a week he gets blueberries or other fruits. For feeders he gets mostly crickets. Although I did run out of crickets yesterday, so he got super-worms. He is very picky and prefers crickets above all feeders.

As for the UVB, it's on top of the mesh. I attempted to mount inside some time ago only to realize with my tanks it's almost impossible to keep that way. I am aware that the mesh can block 30-60% of the UVB rays, I plan on upgrading to 120 gallon enclosures with doors soon so it is possible to mount to the inside. The tanks that I use do not have doors, instead I have to slide/lift the wire mesh across the top to open the tank, which makes it almost impossible to mount to the mesh.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He gets a mix of collard greens, escarole, bok choy, and squash (once in a while kale). 2-3x a week he gets blueberries or other fruits. For feeders he gets mostly crickets. Although I did run out of crickets yesterday, so he got super-worms. He is very picky and prefers crickets above all feeders.

As for the UVB, it's on top of the mesh. I attempted to mount inside some time ago only to realize with my tanks it's almost impossible to keep that way. I am aware that the mesh can block 30-60% of the UVB rays, I plan on upgrading to 120 gallon enclosures with doors soon so it is possible to mount to the inside. The tanks that I use do not have doors, instead I have to slide/lift the wire mesh across the top to open the tank, which makes it almost impossible to mount to the mesh.
Can you take part of the screen off so it's unobstructed

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Tinkey, Stinker, Tubby
Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Does the multi-vitamin supplement have calcium in it as well? If so, you could probably decrease
that to just once weekly since you are using a straight calcium supplement also.
His urates, are they hard or soft? The discoloration can be due to oversupplementation, or diet.
Do you give oral fluids for him too?

Tracie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Tinkey, Stinker, Tubby
Hello,

Does the multi-vitamin supplement have calcium in it as well? If so, you could probably decrease
that to just once weekly since you are using a straight calcium supplement also.
His urates, are they hard or soft? The discoloration can be due to oversupplementation, or diet.
Do you give oral fluids for him too?

Tracie
The supplement does have calcium in it as well. I do not give him any oral fluids of the sorts. As for his urates, it's hard to tell completely. He always wants to use his water bowl as a toilet. They seem average to me though, not hard, but not runny.

So I would just give him his multivitamin once a week and stick with the (x3) calcium a week as well? I assume the Repashy supplement is still okay?

Thank you everyone for responding!

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom