Opinions needed! Should I change anything of this setup? Image heavy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Any1217

Hello! I finally finished my adult beardie enclosure (my baby is nearing a year now and needs far more space!)

Anything that you think I should change/optimize before moving her in?

Enclosure specifications as follows:
  • Enclosure Dimensions 122x61x62 (48x24x24)
  • Temperatures- cool side: 23.5 (74.3), warm side 34 (93), basking spot 40 (105))
  • UVB light is an arcadia T5 12% inside the enclosure, middle and covering 2/3 of the enclosure. Distance to basking is 20cm (7.8”) , however the dragon can climb the background and be closer… not sure if this is dangerous? Minimal distance possible is 7cms (2.7”) if she chooses to climb near it, away from the basking spot.
  • Basking light- a 25w basking light. I know it’s quite low wattage but more intense bulbs would make my basking spot over 50(122)! The bulb is naked but she can’t reach it unless she jumps up somehow. Should I cage it anyway?
  • Other lights: I have a few growth LED for the plants and might add a white strip as well, it feels a little dark?
  • Heat: a thermostat controlled 100w CHE inside a cage.
  • Type of substrate: ok so.. I have several lizards on bioactive substrate, most tropical species but I do have a leopard gecko that is doing amazingly well on one. So… it IS bioactive. Mostly natural clay and sand mixture with a little soil for plants. It can be dug into. Plants are two thornless prickly pear cacti, a rosemary that loves the enclosure and is growing like crazy and a thyme that is doing so so, might replace with a hardier variety. There are also sanseviera spp (snake plants) that might be laxative in ingested. I will change then if I see the dragon nibbling on it. I also ordered an elephant bush (portulacaria afra) which is nontoxic
My main concerns are the UVB and basking bulbs.. the distance to the dragon and if there’s anything you think I should remove from/add to the setup.
THANKS ☺️

Last edited:

Any1217

Original Poster
3B182687-04A8-4289-BB7A-C174311DA9E3.jpeg
F0D7D2E0-84F5-4D4C-AF15-A44273A14E3F.jpeg
164DD92E-0704-45F6-8662-20939919DD97.jpeg
9CCAE052-EA14-4845-9D1C-03626BA011EF.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
It’s a beautiful enclosure! I’m jealous lol 😂. The only thing I could think of to be able to do different would be to add a reflector to the Arcadia 12%(excuse me if you do I can’t tell from the pictures). Then you can lower the basking area to be 12 inches give or take away from the t5 and then you could use a 65 watt br30 which is just like the bulb you have now just higher wattage. What do you think?

Any1217

Original Poster
Thanks a lot!
I’m not sure if I understood correctly, english is not my first language…
You mean lowering the uvb? The top is solid and I’m not sure if I can make the tube be farther somehow.. maybe moving it to the front? It has no reflector, should I add it anyway? Also, I could get an arcadia tube of lower uvb… but not sure if that’s the right approach?

I don’t know what br30 is..? But 65w would make my basking spot extremely hot… it reaches over 130 with 50w? Sorry, this is the first dragon I have and their lighting and temperatures are insane 🤣 thanks SO MUCH for your helo!

Last edited:

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
Thanks a lot!
I’m not sure if I understood correctly, english is not my first language…
You mean lowering the uvb? The top is solid and I’m not sure if I can make the tube be farther somehow.. maybe moving it to the front? It has no reflector, should I add it anyway? Also, I could get an arcadia tube of lower uvb… but not sure if that’s the right approach?

I don’t know what br30 is..? But 65w would make my basking spot extremely hot… it reaches over 130 with 50w? Sorry, this is the first dragon I have and their lighting and temperatures are insane 🤣 thanks SO MUCH for your helo!

So leave your uvb tube where it is and I was thinking if you’re concerned about your dragon being to close to the bulb and possibly being burnt I would put your reflector on the t5 fixture which would increase the uvb output therefore you would need to lower the basking surface by removing some rocks and build a new basking spot that’s about 12 inches below your t5 12% tube. Because that’s the safest and most effective distance for a 12% bulb with a reflector. And when you lowered the basking spot you would most likely need a higher watt basking bulb. This is what I use they are really cheap and last a long time.

If you want to keep your setup the way it is now and not use a reflector for the uvb tube that’s fine just make the surface where your dragon sits to bask is about 6-8 inches from the t5 tube. If you have areas where he can get closer to the tube that’s fine. Hopefully I’m helping let me know if you have any questions. I run my basking bulbs naked with out a cage around it I have for years but some people might do it differently?

Cheetohbab

Beardie name(s)
Cheetoh
Wow, beautiful set up! All I can do is echo, there should be a reflector on the uvb bulb and the basking spot closest to it should be a little further away. Try to aim for 12 inches from the uvb in any direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom