Opening The Mouth

TheOne1776

Original Poster
Hello, first time reptile owner looking for answers.

So I’ve had my BD for a couple of months now. I’ve handled him many times before, but recently he’s been opening his mouth and seems scared whenever I try to reach for him. He’s never really done that before and I’m not sure if it means anything. I’ve been trying to spend time with him at least 1-2 times a day while he’s still young so that he grows used to it, but I don’t want him to be scared of me. Any advice?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello, first time reptile owner looking for answers.

So I’ve had my BD for a couple of months now. I’ve handled him many times before, but recently he’s been opening his mouth and seems scared whenever I try to reach for him. He’s never really done that before and I’m not sure if it means anything. I’ve been trying to spend time with him at least 1-2 times a day while he’s still young so that he grows used to it, but I don’t want him to be scared of me. Any advice?
Does he still have stress marks? Is he eating and basking? He could be still going thru relocation stress and hes young so it may take some time to get him used to you- have you hand tamed him? Fed him some worms from your hand? Are you approaching from the side not from above? His surface basking temps should be 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- and his UVB should be a long tube fixture NO coils -- all these play a huge role in them acclimating to the tank --

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Also have you made any changes to his habitat, it's location, or in the room around him? Some beardies don't do well with change and it can frighten and stress them.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom