Open Mouth (not in a regulating way).

Sarcysod

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mad Sweeney
Hi, I hope everyone is well. I got Mad Sweeney about a month ago and he has started opening his mouth in a strange way. It is not a constant thing... he can open his mouth fully, eats normally (when he decides to eat) and thermoregulates in a 'normal' mouth position.

I've attached a picture of him doing it just as he's about to nod off. Any ideas on why??

I'm planning a trip to the vets with him for a general check up.... But this will only be in a fortnight, as I've only just got him insured and they don't cover anything in the first 14 days. 😡😡

He's not eaten much since I've got him, but his weight hasn't dropped (he's about 540g), he started shedding on his leg last weekend, but nothing since, he's lively, seems hydrated enough (water through a syringe and skin pinch tested), poops fine and bright eyed. He can be a bit of a knob at times, but can't we all. 🤔😄

Also, if anyone gets a chance, could you please have a quick look at the setup and see if anything needs changing. Temps and UVB levels are good... I'm not too happy about the basking light being so close to the basking spot, but it's on a thermostat and doesn't seem to be bothering him.

Thanks for all your help in advance, I hope you and all your scaly puppies are doing well. I don't think I've wrote this much since I was at school!! 😄😄

Jamie.

Attachments

• 20230510_211249.jpg
    20230510_211249.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 171

Sarcysod

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mad Sweeney
Hi everyone, first of all apologies for taking so long to update...been silly busy. I've rearranged Mad Sweeney's viv so everything should be spot on now. I know it's a bone of contention but I've just used his seagrass hammock for now (I will monitor it!!!) and it's about 12 inches from the bulb. His bark is arranged so he can get the 5-6 range of UVB. He's still in shed, so he's getting regular baths and I actually saw him eating some veg from the bowl... who says miracles don't happen!! Cheers to everyone for your help, it is very much appreciated. 👍👍👍
20230604_160613.jpg

Sarcysod

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mad Sweeney
Also, on a side note, I'm going to see how he goes using a Big Dripper. He's a typical Beardie and has no interest in still water, so I'll see if this helps. It should have no affect on humidity as I'm just emptying his water bowl and letting the dripper fill it up. 🤞🤞

Attachments

• 20230604_162444.jpg
    20230604_162444.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 20230604_162456.jpg
    20230604_162456.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 50

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom