[OPEN]Black soldier fly breeding and care advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!
I wanted to see how everyone on here(that breeds bsf obviously) breeds and cares for their bsf larvae. I never had any luck breeding them in the past and I really would like to try again because my beardie eats ALOT and I'm very worried that I'm not giving her enough. I did see somewhere that you should have holes for the flies to fly in and out but I don't know if I'd be able to do that inside or outside(parasites and other bugs!). I also don't know what to use for their substrate. Overall, I'd like to find a way to have a sustainable supply of food for her. So far I feed her bsf and superworms but I will hopefully switch out the superworms for Discoid roaches soon! If you have any advice on discoid roach breeding that would be very helpful too! Any other suggestions for easy to breed nutritious insects for beardies is especially helpful aswell. :D
Thanks.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I haven't raised BSFL, but when I store them, I keep them at room temp in the container they arrive in and they do well enough. There is an article on here that goes into some details about growing/raising them that may be helpful https://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/growing-phoenix-worms/

I believe discoid roaches are similar to dubias in their care. I keep my dubias in cardboard tubes for housing. They have a heat projector (similar to ceramic heat emitter) overhead to keep them warm (they live in my cellar). I have a plate on the opposite end of the tank for their food which consists mainly of leftover veges. They love pumpkin and squash. Sometimes I give them some fruit or bread slices or some oats.

Impawsiblesquad

Original Poster
CooperDragon":19na28tk said:
I haven't raised BSFL, but when I store them, I keep them at room temp in the container they arrive in and they do well enough. There is an article on here that goes into some details about growing/raising them that may be helpful https://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/growing-phoenix-worms/

I believe discoid roaches are similar to dubias in their care. I keep my dubias in cardboard tubes for housing. They have a heat projector (similar to ceramic heat emitter) overhead to keep them warm (they live in my cellar). I have a plate on the opposite end of the tank for their food which consists mainly of leftover veges. They love pumpkin and squash. Sometimes I give them some fruit or bread slices or some oats.
Thanks a lot for the advice! Do you think that a heat mat would do just fine for them as well?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah a heat mat should work too, just be sure to prop the tank on a bakers rack or similar so that it allows for ventilation underneath so the mat doesn't overheat which can be a fire risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom