Only eats calcium dusted dubia

Status
Not open for further replies.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
So Richter developed a new habit of refusing dubia unless they are dusted in calcium... this started about 2 days ago.
That's great and all, but I want to make sure I'm not giving him too much calcium at this point.
This is coming from the dragon that would only eat the "fresh" BSFL, and as soon as they would darken he'd refuse them.

He is fed 2-3 times a day, a mix of dubia, superworms, and veggies (rotated green beans/collard greens/red bell pepper)
Dubia are his staple insect/feeder so he has them each feeding. I do not dust the worms or the greens.

His urates are very white, and do not appear to be hard, but at this rate every meal has been dusted.
Will this harm him in the long run?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
No harm. I dust every feeding of roaches. Just make sure it's a light, even coat. I just give them a shake in a cup with a little dust and let the extra settle to the bottom of the cup.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":2p09ayl1 said:
No harm. I dust every feeding of roaches. Just make sure it's a light, even coat. I just give them a shake in a cup with a little dust and let the extra settle to the bottom of the cup.

thank you as always
I honestly just dip part of the roach with tongs into the calcium, tap off excess, and feed it to him, so they are very lightly dusted to make sure he doesn't get too much, but if there is no dust he won't eat 'em. :roll: I guess it's like ketchup on fries

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Like people like their food salty or spicey, she just likes the taste if calcium powder.

I dust every feeding of crickets in calcium powder. (Very lightly.)

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
If you are using a calcium with D3 (especially the rep-cal) consider switching to a low-D3 or no D3 formula for the bugs you wouldn't dust.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Taterbug":2djjsjd9 said:
If you are using a calcium with D3 (especially the rep-cal) consider switching to a low-D3 or no D3 formula for the bugs you wouldn't dust.

I have been dusting without D3, but have powder with D3 as well. Pacman frog gets more use out of that one

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
traildrifterphalanx":2swiykmv said:
Taterbug":2swiykmv said:

I have been dusting without D3, but have powder with D3 as well. Pacman frog gets more use out of that one

I wouldn't worry too much then. As long as the insects are coated lightly feeding every bug with Ca should be fine.

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
I have a calcium-related question. There is so much conflicting information out there. "Dust daily." "Dust every other day". "Use calcium with D3." "Use calcium without D3." "If you have a Reptisun T8 use calcium with D3." GAH. I'm frustrated, lol. What do you guys do?

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I feel it's conflicting because everyone does it so differently... I have also been equally confused so made up my own schedule.

As mentioned I'm dusting dubias every meal now due to picky eater, but I 'was' dusting once per day with calcium w/o D3, and once a week w/ D3. I have not yet incorporated multi-vitamins into the mix, which usually people do a few times a week, like 1-3, from what I've seen.

Lighting is Reptisun 10.0 T8 mounted inside - I'm waiting on my Arcadia fixtures and bulbs to arrive but they've been sold out since I bought them almost 2 weeks ago. Once those arrive I'll likely cut back on D3 more so

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's kind of a gray area at the moment with little research done so far. As far as I understand it, D3 supplementation is needed when using low output UVB such as a coil bulb or a T8. When you use a higher output bulb such as a MVB or T5 at appropriate distance, the UVB output level is much closer to natural sunlight so D3 synthesis can happen naturally and supplementation isn't needed. I use a T5 tube and use plain calcium supplement.

Different manufacturers have different instructions so I usually say defer to the instructions on your supplement for use frequency. Otherwise I suggest using a light coat on every bug meal. I dust all roaches every time I offer them. When in conjunction with a varied salad every day and occasional worms I feel this provides adequate nutrition through variety.

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
Okay see I was told that if I have a T8, I need to use the calcium with D3, so that's what I've been doing. I have a T8, and while it's not mounted inside, there is nothing obstructing it (no mesh) from my beardie's view, and her basking spot is within 7-8 inches of it. I've been dusting once a day, alternating days with calcium and multivitamin. So I do 3 days a week calcium and 3 days a week multivitamin. My dragon is adv-positive, so I also give her bee pollen, milk thistle, an echinacea/aswagandha blend, and a probiotic daily. It seems like a lot, but it's in small quantities, and she handles it well. She hates the taste of the e/a blend though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom