Only eating 1 cricket per feed.. **Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,

I have a 2 months old beardie that i get yesterday,
today he've only ate 1 cricket this morning and only 1 tonight,
i know this is not normal, but he won't eat the other cricket i give him,
he have a bowl of veggies and a bowl of water.

Light config:
On warm side of the terrarium, temperature is like 100'F, and i've got Day Blue Light and it is 150W
On the cool side i've got a Fluorescent Coil Bulb UVB and its 20W
The light for the warm and the cold side are from Zilla.

Thanks

BeardieGrandma

Juvie Member
hi, welcome to the board!

when you get a new beardie, they take a few days to week or so to adjust to their new surroundings. they may eat the first day, but after that they may not eat. Mine went on a hunger strike for 4 days after i got her, then started eating. Keep your handling to 5-10 minutes a day for the first week or so, until he settles in.

Its good to check the rest of your husbandry out though, in the meantime.

How big is your tank?

Regarding your lights - i'd stick with a bright white bulb rather than a colored bulb, it messes with their eyes. your basking temp should be 105-110 for the baby on the hot side, using a probe thermometer place it right on the basking spot and measure it (allow 45 minutes for the tank to heat it to temperature to measure). on the cool side it should be 80-85 degrees - you should have another probe on that side as well to keep track of it. the stick-on thermometers are notoriously inaccurate.

the coil UVB is bad for their eyes and won't promote good health or growth for you baby. i'd recommend a reptisun 10.0 uvb tube bulb that spans across the back of your tank so he gets proper exposure.

Make sure you are hydrating your baby - 3-4 mists a day (outside the tank as it raises humidity), or give him a good soak in the tub 10-15 minutes 3-5 times a week. don't leave him alone in the bath, he may accidentally drown...

Pablodragons

Original Poster
Hey BeardieGrandma,

Thanks for your answer!

The only reason why i got day blue light and the coil uvb, is because i bought a beginner kit.(And now im finding that there was not a lot of good things in it.. and it was kind expensive :angry5: ) I'm gonna look at the pet store tomorrow if the have those reptisun uvb..

I don't know the exact size of the tank, but for now its kinda enough for my verry little beardie, i know that i will need to change in couple month.(So the beginner kit was not really a deal i realise)

i gave him a bath this morning, think he loved it! he was not runnig(like what the hell is that!) we very relax walking around

I guess i'll need to buy a probe thermometer before the end of the week(****** beginner kit hahah! at the end its gonna costs me alot..

BeardieGrandma

Juvie Member
oh goodness, well be careful with your 150 watt bulb (which is why i asked). if you have a small tank - like a 10gl or 20gl and you got that big 'ol light in there it may be too hot. without a probe thermometer your temps could be off by as much as 20 degrees with the stick-on thermometer, and you don't want to cook your beardie with too hot temperatures...i made a beardie condo (temporary tank to travel in) out of a 10gl and use a 75watt tight beam bulb in it. I needed to use a dimmer on it to keep it from getting too hot...

Pablodragons

Original Poster
The lamp is not directly on the top of the tank its a bit higher, but i still look the temperature on the stick to thermometer, so its like a emergency now, first thing i do tomorrow is to buy that probe thermometer.

if the temperature is to high can it make like close his eye, and look like sleeping but not as deeply as during the night?

BeardieGrandma

Juvie Member
yes, that's a great article, both screens and glass block UVB...this is how I set it up, inside my tank, within 6-8" from the beardie...

joga_1_11v3.jpg

Pablodragons

Original Poster
Great settings you have there!
But how is your tube staying there? is it stick? loll

So i bought him new lights:
1x Repti Glo 10.0 UVB, 14W( its written on the box: 33%UVA and 10%UVB, what does that mean?) they said it was pretty like those Reptisun 10.0!
1x Sun Glo 150W Tight Beam, this one white(no blue like the other one they give me monday)
1x probe thermometer with hygrometer in it(that is now indicating 104'F and 26% humidity)

And i've learned that the relfector i have is only metal, do you think it's a good idea to put ceramics one?

Pablo does not eat any crickets today.. does not seem interested in them at all.. should i try those worms that everybody's talking about?(because he's scaring me when he do not eat at all)

By the way i take a appointment with the vet for friday, it's gonna be his first annual check!(hope everythings is allright!)

Nasubi77

Sub-Adult Member
Pablodragons":2s7r6luu said:
Great settings you have there!
But how is your tube staying there? is it stick? loll

So i bought him new lights:
1x Repti Glo 10.0 UVB, 14W( its written on the box: 33%UVA and 10%UVB, what does that mean?) they said it was pretty like those Reptisun 10.0!
1x Sun Glo 150W Tight Beam, this one white(no blue like the other one they give me monday)
1x probe thermometer with hygrometer in it(that is now indicating 104'F and 26% humidity)

And i've learned that the relfector i have is only metal, do you think it's a good idea to put ceramics one?

Pablo does not eat any crickets today.. does not seem interested in them at all.. should i try those worms that everybody's talking about?(because he's scaring me when he do not eat at all)

By the way i take a appointment with the vet for friday, it's gonna be his first annual check!(hope everythings is allright!)

Sorry, but the Reptiglo is not the same as the Reptisun. It might be okay...be sure your beardie can't get any closer than 10-12" and make sure you are using a bright white basking light to protect his eyes. If he starts showing any signs of eye trouble at all, i.e. keeping his eyes closed a lot, keeping one eye closed, trying to hide from the lights in his fake plants or hide, then turn it off ASAP and try to find the Reptisun. You might not find it in a pet store. The best priced place to order it is Pet Mountain last I checked.

Metal is fine for the reflector. You want the part the bulb actually screws into the be ceramic because that won't melt in the extreme heat. If your fixture is rated for at least 150W it is probably ceramic. If your fixture is not rated for 150W, you need to find one or your bulb might short out and could possibly start a fire.

However, I'm curious as to the size of your tank. The beginner kits usually come with 10 or possibly 20g tank and a 150W should be way too hot for those. I see your basking temp is okay at 104, but what is the cool side reading? If it's above 85, you might need to use a lower watt bulb and move it closer to the basking spot so your cool side can drop to the right temp.

Born4spd

If you can get some measurements or a picture of the tank it would be very helpful in deciding on the appropriate wattage bulbs.

Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom