one watery, mucusy eye and a bit of lethargy

Status
Not open for further replies.

manticorebug

Original Poster
id also like to add! i was doing a lot of research last night in terms of light distance for him, and it turns out i also had it too close for a few months (since the last time i changed the bulb). ive since adjusted the distance of his MVB and he seems a lot happier to pancake out and bask. im thinking this will also help him out

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your boy doing? Shedding will definitely affect his eye so that might be some of it.
Definitely moving it further away should help, if for some reason it's emitting some low wavelength. Using a tube bulb in combination
with a MVB can help to balance out the UVB distribution along with the UVB to UVI ratio & overall brightness. I think you both will be
happy with the balance.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

manticorebug

Original Poster
Hello,

How is your boy doing? Shedding will definitely affect his eye so that might be some of it.
Definitely moving it further away should help, if for some reason it's emitting some low wavelength. Using a tube bulb in combination
with a MVB can help to balance out the UVB distribution along with the UVB to UVI ratio & overall brightness. I think you both will be
happy with the balance.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie
hi!!

hes doing amazingly today! last night, after a saline wash, a large piece of shed detached from under his eye :) a christmas miracle! as of today he seems to be shedding the rest of his eye, consistently popping both of his eyes but being perfectly able to see. no yucky watery closed eyes this morning, just a lot of shed falling off. i will be stopping the saline flushes unless more issues seem to arise, but it all seems to be going well. i attached pics for comparison (1st on christmas, 2nd this morning). hes been eating normally again, too, which is a massive relief!! i think this is the end of our issues, but will still be changing his MVB.

Attachments

• christmas.jpg
    christmas.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 91
  • 26.jpg
    26.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 82

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh wow, that is good news his eye is doing so much better. Miracles can happen, at Christmas. So it may have been a combination
of stuck shed in his eye & the MVB lighting. At least you got that all figured out, too. I'm sure his eye feels so much better.

Thanks for the updates on your boy.

Tracie

manticorebug

Original Poster
Does his eye still seem to be doing well? I am experiencing the same issues you were.
he is doing just fine as of late :) after this post he had a few minor issues, but they cleared up after a full head shed and close assisted care. if your dragon is experiencing the same issues, my best (temporary) advice would be to:
1) move your beardies basking spot a safe distance from their MVB if you are using one, if using a UV i would suggest allowing more opportunity for shade,
2) if eye is watering apply one drop of saline solution in the eye twice a day until whatever is lodged in seems to come out or watering seems to stop, but do not do more than 2 drops a day and use sterile saline solution,
3) monitor your dragons behavior closely, watch for voluntary eating (offering them food close up/while they are stationary does not count), inspect the eye for excessive redness or eyes being "glued shut", excessive bulging, and be sure to supplement food with multivitamins,
4) simply keep your enclosure for them clean, get rid of any dust that may be built up on the lid, scrub the glass / walls of the tank, ect. it can make a world of difference in the recovery process for their sensitive eyes.
if you have any questions as to what i did through this entire process and the aftercare of my minor scare let me know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom