Older New Beardie

Kenzie2898

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mushu
I just got my new beardie on Sunday. Hes a 4 year old male, his owner said he had been bred twice. He was perfectly fine during the expo, letting me hold him and he sat on my shoulder. But now he wont let me touch him and he hasnt eaten. I know they need an adjustment period but I worry. He puffed up at me today and charged me with a hiss whoch I wasnt expecting given his calm demeanor the day before.

What should I do? Leave him be or keep encourage contact? I just want us to he friends :(

Mollie the dragon

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Mollie
Most need that time, he was prob more comfortable with you when he was in the house hes been living in but once you move him into a new home theyll take a lot of time to get comfortable as it is a new environment, I would just always keep a salad in there just in case he wants to eat and maybe just try and pet him a little while hes still in his terr and not take him out. Its just the small bonding steps that take a while, you can always try and hand feed him when he starts eating again, just little bonding things but if not i would just let him be till he gets a little used to where hes now at. Youre doing just fine! How are his temps and what size terr is it??

Kenzie2898

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mushu
Most need that time, he was prob more comfortable with you when he was in the house hes been living in but once you move him into a new home theyll take a lot of time to get comfortable as it is a new environment, I would just always keep a salad in there just in case he wants to eat and maybe just try and pet him a little while hes still in his terr and not take him out. Its just the small bonding steps that take a while, you can always try and hand feed him when he starts eating again, just little bonding things but if not i would just let him be till he gets a little used to where hes now at. Youre doing just fine! How are his temps and what size terr is it??
Its a 4x2x2 terrarium and im having trouble getting his temps to get as high as i need them. Going to insolate his cage more since its struggling to make 90

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
He should have a gradient, 80ish on the cool side mid 90's on the warm side. At 4 yo. His basking should be 95 to 100.
Please get digital probe thermometers if you don't have them already. Thats the only way to know true basking temp.
As far as handling, try putting a small piece of your clothing in with him so he learns your smell. Try taking him out just a little before lights out and let him snuggle into your neck to fall asleep. Give him time to be fully asleep before gently putting him to bed. Try offering food by hand (hormworms are great for this) but be careful if he is agressive at trying to eat he could accidentally bite your finger. That brings up another point, a full grown beardie has a strong bite, if he is aggressive when you try to handle him be careful.
Do give him a couple days to figure out his new home, beardies do not do change well, he is very stressed and on high alert righ now.
Don't get discouraged though, just have patience and he will come around. It will be worth it once he bonds with you.
You might want to go over your setup with us also,uvb type and placement is critical to their health.

Kenzie2898

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mushu
He should have a gradient, 80ish on the cool side mid 90's on the warm side. At 4 yo. His basking should be 95 to 100.
Please get digital probe thermometers if you don't have them already. Thats the only way to know true basking temp.
As far as handling, try putting a small piece of your clothing in with him so he learns your smell. Try taking him out just a little before lights out and let him snuggle into your neck to fall asleep. Give him time to be fully asleep before gently putting him to bed. Try offering food by hand (hormworms are great for this) but be careful if he is agressive at trying to eat he could accidentally bite your finger. That brings up another point, a full grown beardie has a strong bite, if he is aggressive when you try to handle him be careful.
Do give him a couple days to figure out his new home, beardies do not do change well, he is very stressed and on high alert righ now.
Don't get discouraged though, just have patience and he will come around. It will be worth it once he bonds with you.
You might want to go over your setup with us also,uvb type and placement is critical to their health.
Oh dont worry, he has a gradient, i just mentioned the warm side. His basking spot is perfect, its just the warm side in general is struggling to maintain the warmer temps, but im going to try and fix that today. As for uvb, its right at his basking lamp, a 24" 12% arcadia thats under the mesh so nothings getting blocked

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
I know this can be scary but he will come along. Please give him time to adjust- a lot of changes are going on.
let us know how he's doing in a week or so.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom