Old Beardie Needs Help

Munchykin

Hello,

This is my old beardie Zuko and we have no idea how old he is (was abandoned and lived at a rescue for a while). Recently he went to go live with my mom and he’s been fine until this week. Here’s some of the things listed that’s he’s suddenly doing:
Eating less
Wobbly movements
Trouble walking
Little energy
Falls of climbing area.
Apparently earlier today (when these videos were taken) immediately after the last video he completely flipped over on his side and couldn’t get up. We don’t know what’s going on. I was thinking a vitamin deficiency but his vitamin schedule sounds okay to me. She’s ready to take him to a vet if need be.

Please help if you have any ideas. We’re both really worried about him.

Attachments

• IMG_5510.MOV
    820.1 KB
  • IMG_5511.MOV
    986.7 KB

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello,

This is my old beardie Zuko and we have no idea how old he is (was abandoned and lived at a rescue for a while). Recently he went to go live with my mom and he’s been fine until this week. Here’s some of the things listed that’s he’s suddenly doing:
Eating less
Wobbly movements
Trouble walking
Little energy
Falls of climbing area.
Apparently earlier today (when these videos were taken) immediately after the last video he completely flipped over on his side and couldn’t get up. We don’t know what’s going on. I was thinking a vitamin deficiency but his vitamin schedule sounds okay to me. She’s ready to take him to a vet if need be.

Please help if you have any ideas. We’re both really worried about him.
Your dragon is suffering from MBD --- please go to Pet Smart if you have one and get this UVB-- 24 watt Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb -- it needs to go inside the tank directly above his basking decor piece 12-15 inches I recommend the 12 inches -- please start dusting his insects w/ calcium D3 lightly coated -- get some rolled up dish towels etc so he can climb on them at a lower distance so hes not falling off of them -- you want surface basking temps of 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- basking bulb should be no closer than 6 " --- if you dont have a Pet Smart let me know I will post links for you to order another UVB or you can order it from Pet Smart but right now he needs that UVB pronto --- please get him outside in direct sun if the temp is 65+ degrees ---- let him sit on you or you can place him in the sun in a plastic tote NO glass -- watch him do not leave him -- I recommend 1/2 hr or so this is going to help him alot till you get the UVB

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, as Karrie suggested, it appears he has developed metabolic bone disease. Try to get his tank
basking area to a lower area to help keep him from falling & hurting himself.
Has any UVB light been used on him? As instructed, the priority right now is to get a UVB light as
soon as possible. Can you possibly get him outdoors? For now, with supervision, that would be a
great help for him.
Are you giving any calcium for him on a regular basis?
If she does take him to the vet, a blood test would be helpful to determine his calcium levels & other
values such as kidney & liver. Do you know his age?

Tracie

Munchykin

Original Poster
Hello,

Just wondering how your dragon is doing? Any improvements?

Tracie
Hello! I’ve been instructing my mom on some of the things that have been suggested. Unfortunately (replying to a prior msg) we do not know his age. He is very old and has had a very tough life. I know he was thrown away in a park trash can and somehow survived a few months in the “wild”. Based off his physical condition when I adopted him he wasn’t treated well nor got the proper nutrients he needed. I’m not shocked he has developed mbd but I am sad- he deserves to live his remaining life as comfortably as possible. I will update again when/if he starts doing better (with prior suggestions such as lowing basking spot, vet visit, or/and fall proofing his cage). I’m very very thankful for any and all suggestions! Please anything helps!! Thanks

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

OH MY, poor little one. I simply don't understand what is wrong with people, throwing an animal away,
very sad. Well, he has a great home now!
Excellent, do let us know how he is progressing.

Tracie

Munchykin

Original Poster
Hello,

OH MY, poor little one. I simply don't understand what is wrong with people, throwing an animal away,
very sad. Well, he has a great home now!
Excellent, do let us know how he is progressing.

Tracie
I did want to update that he is walking a lot better. Unfortunately there seems to be a new problem in which it looks like something is coming out of him and it looks bad. I posted to emergency- hopefully I get help soon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I did want to update that he is walking a lot better. Unfortunately there seems to be a new problem in which it looks like something is coming out of him and it looks bad. I posted to emergency- hopefully I get help soon
I replied and it looks like a sperm plug

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing today? I am happy to hear he is walking better now, bless him.
Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexreynolds
Top Bottom