Okay, I'm convinced....

Rocky is a male. I need to do the light test 1 more time but all of the tendencies definitely point that way.
I am also convinced we are going through puberty and he's going through separation anxiety as I spend every moment with him. When I leave him for more than 1 hour he has a temper tantrum.
Rocky turns darker in color (the lights are fine) as you see in the second picture, he just got to the window and was not happy when I took him out.
As soon as I pet him in the enclosure, he lightens up. Or of course, as soon as I give him what he wants, he lightens up. See the first picture.
Rocky also goes to the corner of his enclosure as if he puts himself on timeout and looks back at me to make me feel bad (yet it works) or he grabs flowers and lays on his swing and begins to look so sad! See the last picture. He will stay there for hours and eventually sleep there if I don't give in. As it's on the warm side, I say, "You'll be okay" and move on.

My concern is that before I could get Rocky to play in his playpen daily and now he's fascinated with the window, Rocky sits (rotates) then sits in the window all day. See first and second picture. I pulled the shade down to deter him but you see how much that worked, LOL!

I can see the weight picking up and at 6 months....he's probably 5 years old (joke) - I want to ensure his nutritional needs are met. Health is always at the forefront of my mind, and I am starting to see a spread in the mid-area.
Rocky is demanding about his intake. I can control him but I can't control how I feel about him:love: I hate to see him upset but I know that there's no possible way he needs 6 bowls of food LOL.

Attachments

• 20220728_183115.jpg
    20220728_183115.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 125
  • 20220728_181648.jpg
    20220728_181648.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 86
  • 20220728_134642.jpg
    20220728_134642.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 86

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Rock is a very good looking dragon.
I think the training is about complete, he got his hooman trained in record time lmao. I think most beardies do love windows, all the stuff moving around, changes in light as cloud drift by, it's all stimulating and enrichment for them. I added a raised platform in two of my habitats. Now the only time either dragon goes to the bottom is to eat or poop.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Rocky looks good, you say he's 6 months old ? He can still eat the big meals because he's still growing. It's when they are pretty much full sized at 10 months to 1 year and IF they are getting chubby in the legs, belly, tail, beard , then you definitely cut back.
If you want to post a few pics with his tail arched up I can most likely tell if it's a boy.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Thanks for the feedback- okay. I will send a picture.
We just finished bathtime so I can get the shot. So about the perch idea. I actually purchased the cat perch for the window but Rocky wasn't too fond of it and I have the turtle dock (with the fake moss look) on the floor of the enclosure. I was thinking if I could find those poles, I could make that something Rocky could see high from the enclosure.
From the basking area, I raised the log but it's a distorted view (on purpose) because originally Rocky was against birds, plants, windows, trees until our road trip.
Grabbing the camera- I'll brb

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Drumroll pleaseeeeeeee..... I hope these pictures help. The first is what Rocky is basking on and I think he likes it due to the sexy legs. He hates the camera so the rolling of the eyes is at me, not you LOL
The second picture is me lifting the tail up but I don't see anything. The third is front view. From the background, you can tell we are back on the dog bed in the window so if I need to try again, let me know.

Attachments

• 20220806_154817.jpg
    20220806_154817.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 75

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Thanks for trying, you need pics like this. Scroll past the writing to see how to arch the tail.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
I have a BOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just stressed Rocky out but OMG it's a boy LOL this explains a lot- thanks!

Attachments

• 20220806_161701.jpg
    20220806_161701.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 20220806_161702.jpg
    20220806_161702.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 79
  • 20220806_161654.jpg
    20220806_161654.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 73

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby

Rock is a very good looking dragon.
I think the training is about complete, he got his hooman trained in record time lmao. I think most beardies do love windows, all the stuff moving around, changes in light as cloud drift by, it's all stimulating and enrichment for them. I added a raised platform in two of my habitats. Now the only time either dragon goes to the bottom is to eat or poop.
You KNEW I had a boy at least a month ago....you were right. And if I wasn't shining the light in the wrong area, I could've confirmed sooner!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Look at the bright side, you won't have to worry about dig boxes, eggs, or egg binding. I've always heard boys are easier, seems thats true for any species lol. :cool:

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Look at the bright side, you won't have to worry about dig boxes, eggs, or egg binding. I've always heard boys are easier, seems thats true for any species lol. :cool:
Now you know me, I already have a dig box LOL It's not in the enclosure and one day I did put Rocky in it but he went to the bathroom in it and moved on :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL: I will keep some materials on hand just in case he wants to play but I will use the dirt in my yard and the sand....I'll build a castle?!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
We had a really good day as a MALE. I called everyone and updated them on Rocky's gender. We bonded again today. I just held Rocky close and apologized. Rocky ran to the window and basically told me to leave him alone:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Rocky is going to bed a little earlier, surely it's not from doing much. I hope it's not brumation...it's about an hour but I still think he's just growing and going through a lot. Life is hard!!!

The swing is definitely his new form of communication because today it meant for me to cut the lights off early...the eating, pooping and behavior is fine. It's also really hot and I have the AC on so adapting outside of the enclosure may be a little different for him. The AC isn't too high but it definitely can't compete with his basking temps. I also noticed that he doesn't bask right after eating....he begs for a little more then basks. I'll just continue to watch him.
Speaking of watching, I watch him and he watches me. He closes his one eye when he wishes me away but tada I am still here. I then stare at his eyes (I am about a foot away) as I am fascinated with the flip of the layer (I think it is so they can see under water...I will double check or @AHBD I am sure that you know what I am referring to).
I'm telling you, I learn something new every day...but anyways, when that doesn't work, his pupils dilate as if I put a flashlight to them...that causes me to lean in closer. At that point, Rocky then he eventually just turns his head.:LOL: I go away at this point.

Stalk much?! He stares at me so I stare back LOL
While this is not a daily thing, I try to let Rocky know that I am in charge.
(Everyone laugh because I am totally NOT! I am simply fascinated!!!)

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom