Ok so breeding....

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfm08

Hatchling Member
Ok so When is the proper age to begin breeding. I have Spiff and Sahara and idk when the proper time to start breeding would be Spiff i know is old enough but sahara im not so sure... And how will i know if the beardie is indeed preganant???

jfm08

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
They are nt housed together i do have male and female and plan to breed eventually just wanted to know about age

Trogdor80

Hatchling Member
Min 18 months(pref 2 years) on female.

Male: as long as hes big enough to not get attacked by the female.

Dave94

Gray-bearded Member
lots of Aus breeders beef there females upto breeding age by 12months, I've heard a well known breeder her fed a female up she was 20inches and about 300-400grams at 6months old (don't ask me how- yes it was a vitticeps) My female is at breeding size and is 12months, though I'm putting it off till this season coming...

gregcranston

Hatchling Member
Dave94":fdf23 said:
lots of Aus breeders beef there females upto breeding age by 12months
Just cause some do it, doesn't mean it should be done mate. Like someone already said, 18 months absolute minimum (only if been fully grown for at least 6 months), 2 years much better for the female. Breeding too early is not only dangerous for the females health, but it will reduce her breeding efficiency (less eggs) and she'll become unable to continue breeding at an earlier age than one that starts breeding at 2-2.5 years. Where is Aust are ya? I'm in Melbourne.

Dave94

Gray-bearded Member
lol, I never said its fine, just stating facts that alot of Aussies do it. A well known breeder in QLD got around 20-25eggs per clutch and a female multi clutched 4clutches, It seems to be its more on size then age, you can have small females at 18months and have females at 9months that are double in size and weight. the breeder hasn't seen ANY health risk from breeding at 12months, and some that he has bred that young are still going at 4-5years. I'm in Brisbane by the way. (and yes, 4-5years old breeders are very common, Kirby on this site has a female thats 7years old that got bred this year)

gregcranston":df10a said:
Dave94":df10a said:
lots of Aus breeders beef there females upto breeding age by 12months
Just cause some do it, doesn't mean it should be done mate. Like someone already said, 18 months absolute minimum (only if been fully grown for at least 6 months), 2 years much better for the female. Breeding too early is not only dangerous for the females health, but it will reduce her breeding efficiency (less eggs) and she'll become unable to continue breeding at an earlier age than one that starts breeding at 2-2.5 years. Where is Aust are ya? I'm in Melbourne.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LiamYe
Top Bottom