OH NO panic stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

mortitia

Hatchling Member
Hi

I was just checking the condensation levels on the tubs with the eggs in, when I came across and egg with a little beardie head poking through, There is no movement from the baby so I have left him in the incubator.

What can I do for an emergency set up if this baby comes out of the egg?
How do I tell if its alive?
The eggs are only 58 days old!
There is also a yellow egg in the tray, looks ok other than the fact it is yellow
Will post pic asap

Cheers
Marie x

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Do you not have any tanks set up right now for your hatchlings?

You can use just a normal rubbermaid container and clamp the basking bulb to it. Just make sure it's not making the plastic too hot.

-Brandon

mortitia

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi

I have been looking all day for a unit to run the uvb bulbs. We don't have a walmart in the uk.

I was planning on ordering the vivs, lights etc on Monday, wasn't really expecting a baby so soon.

I have a spare 2ft viv, with a coil uvb and can soon put a heat lamp on it and its no problems getting a basking rock. Will be able to go into town and get crix tomorrow too if I need them.

But what do I do in the meantime? should I leave him where he is in the incubator? how do I tell if he's still alive? and what about the yellow egg?

So many questions
Marie x

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi Marie,

I always left my hatchlings in the incubator for 24 hours after they hatched, assuming they weren't getting too active and running over all the other unhatched eggs. I believe you will be fine leaving the little guy in their for another day.

Breaking out of the egg is very tiring, so often times they will just crack it open, then fall asleep from exhaustion; looking dead.

Your temp tank will be fine, just make sure you get the temperatures right. I would actually encourage you not to use the coil bulb. They cause more damage than good. You'd be better off with no uvb supplementation until you can get your proper setups.

-Brandon

mortitia

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi

Incubator is set at 30 with humidity at 70% will this be ok overnight?

Will he be ok until Tuesday with no uvb or should I get a small reptisun 10 (assuming I can get one for the small viv) its a 2 ft square glass viv. I suppose it won't hurt to have a completely spare set-up.

The incubator is kept to temperature with a small halogen light, will this hurt his little eyes?

Marie x

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi Marie,

That should be fine.

If you have the means, getting an 18 inch reptisun 10.0 would be beneficial. It would definitely be better than the coil, and it definitely would be better than no uvb at all.

But like I said, leave him in the incubator until he gets all the way out of the egg, and after that, leave him there till he seems to be a bit more active.

-Brandon

mortitia

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi Brandon

Thanks for the information, will get a reptisun 10 & fittings tomorrow. Did you have any thoughts on the yellow egg in the pic?

What are the chances of more hatching over the weekend? I was under the assumption 70ish days were the norm

Marie x

PS really excited now, he has moved, Think he will be a keeper :p

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi Marie,

In my experience, once one hatches the others aren't far behind. Usually a couple days at the most.

I honestly don't know what to think of the yellow egg, I have no experience with that. Are you sure it's fertile?

-Brandon

mortitia

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well its all happening now!

3 more heads poking out. No1 nearly leapt out at me from the incubator when I lifted the lid to have a peek.

Then of course, I couldn't find anything. My thermometer vanished. Could only find a lamp holder with screw fitting and only light bulb to match just happens to be a red one! Eventually found a working thermometer in the kitchen downstairs.

Well he's in the temp home, just hope the red light will be all right until tomorrow.

Temp on basking log now 106, but he seems to prefer it under the kitchen roll! At the moment he is in the corner under the lamp. Should I leave the light on over night?

Marie x

JC0609

If the temperature in the room doesn't drop below 65 then their is no need for additional heating overnight.

My eggs are all over the place when it comes to hatching at the same time. Oldest hatchlings are Boxing Day and newest one is today. We still have more to hatch. If the yellow looks plump and not moulding/really soggy, then it might be fine and contain a baby dragon within.

mortitia

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi

Well another 5 pipped overnight. 4 are still in their eggs but no.5 has obviously been quite mobile as he has managed to cover 3 babies in vermiculite! I have moved them so they are not buried now, will have to wait and see what happens. I'm off shopping later.

Q. When/how do I offer water?

Marie x

JC0609

Don't remove them until they are 100% hatched.

I offer water in a very shallow dish or spraying them gently.

mortitia

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi

Well the little one that had been buried is now in the nursery with the other 2, No1 had his first drink of water from a dropper.

Its funny, they all go into the corner and hide under the paper towel when they first go in the nursery. No.1 is all over the place, exploring.

I want to keep no.1 but not sure how to mark him apart from the rest?!

Marie x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom