Odd sorts

Status
Not open for further replies.

8Eight8

Okay, so I'm new to the 'healthy' beardie and am confuzzled by this lil one we've got. She does such goofy things and some concerning things. I think I'm extra paranoid because my other beardie was sick for so long and we never knew what signs to look for, now I think everything's a sign!

My biggest concern is after she eats, she flattens herself out like a pancake and rests her head on the log. I was told they should never flatten themselves out, but was never told why! Is it alright if she flattens for a little while, then goes back to her royal pose? Pushed up, head tilted just so.

She was also trying to burrow into my husband's hand while he was holding her, when he put her back into her tank, she started rubbing the top of her head on the log, kind of like a bear does when scratching it's back. Is this normal?

I get such a kick out of watching her.. we put a new background on the tank a few days ago and she's still trying to climb into the plants on the picture!

mellu

Juvie Member
Sounds like a happy exploratory baby to me. She is flattening out to soak up more heat so give your temps a double check just to make sure everything is right there, the burrowing in his hands is probably because she wants to get down and run around, or, maybe just trying to get more comfy. ^_^ Rubbing her head is probably because she is getting ready to shed and is itchy! Have you noticed if her skin is getting a murky or greyish/dull colour?

8Eight8

Original Poster
The top of her head is grey and I just noticed now, under her chin and on her tummy is a medium grey color with white spots that are outlined in a dark grey.. is this just going to be her natural color or is she unhappy with me at the moment?

Oh, and thank you for telling me to check the temps, they were getting down to 65 at night. Would you suggest a ceramic heat emitter, a heated vine or an under tank heater to help keep her snuggly warm at night?

mellu

Juvie Member
She is probably just experiencing relocation stress and will relax and have a nice white tummy once she settles, shedding is also a stressful thing for them as it's super itchy and annoying, it's normal for them to get in a bit of a mood while going through a shed. she is definitely shedding so that's why she is scratching her head, give her a daily bath until she sheds(warm water up to her shoulders), and even after if you want to potty train her to go in her bath like i did with mine. I would suggest a low wattage che at night, make sure her temps don't go above 80 at night and I wouldn't let them got below 70. Did you check her basking spot? What uvb are you using and what substrate?

8Eight8

Original Poster
Ahh, okay. I was hoping that's what was happening. As for bath time, well.. we're working on it. We started yesterday with her second one and she's not a water lover, she keeps trying to escape. I just gave her another and it was a little bit better, but most she would stay in for was 3 min. I didn't know you could potty train her, how do you do that?

I'm using the Reptiglo 10.0 and the Zoomed carpet liner for the substrate. Her basking spot is kept at 110.. I think I'm going to invest in a thermostat, it would make me feel much better at night time!

Thanks for the help/suggestions!

mellu

Juvie Member
I use repti-glo as well for my three, reptisuns are of course better so if those are easy for you to get you should get one of those next time.

To potty train my kids I woke them up in the morning, put them in their basking spots for ten minutes or so, just to warm up a bit, then brought them individually to their respective poop tubs, rub their tummies, then held their tails up when they start to poo. Eventually I started holding their tails up before they would poo and they came to learn that was the cue. It takes me like ten minutes if I'm in a hurry to get poops! Mika is sometimes a bit more difficult just because she is just generally a difficult personality, haha. The younger you start this the better they'll catch on. Kira has pooped in her tank 3 times since I got her 5 months ago and only when her daddy didn't bathe her early enough and she just COULDN'T hold it any longer. She is a poop monster xD.

8Eight8

Original Poster
Thanks for explaining how to potty/bath train her! I think she'll get it, though she mistook my husband's hand last night for the sink! Grossed him right out! :)

EmilyRussom

Juvie Member
Sounds normal to me!

They "pancake" to expose more of their body to the light they wish to soak up.

As for the burrowing, Tiki loves a snuggle, it's like she wants to get as close as humanly possible, so she'll nuzzle and burrow and dig in my lap, then get happy and go to sleep at night.

Sounds like you have a happy dragon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom