Odd crust on lips.

Mithtril

I got her a few weeks ago from petco and I have a basking light setup that reaches about 97 degrees and a uvb 10.0. She has this weird crust on her lips that idk if its from food or if it's something more serious. She eats crickets and mealworms but I rarely see her eat but she is kinda thick so she looks reasonably healthy eating wise but her lips are really concerning me and I dont know where else to find help. She also opens her mouth alot but she's done that since the day I got her when her mouth looked fine eo idk if that may have something to do with it or not but might as well suggest it.

Attachments

• 16635449992854057034916634093396.jpg
    16635449992854057034916634093396.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 152

Mithtril

Original Poster
I got her a few weeks ago from petco and I have a basking light setup that reaches about 97 degrees and a uvb 10.0. She has this weird crust on her lips that idk if its from food or if it's something more serious. She eats crickets and mealworms but I rarely see her eat but she is kinda thick so she looks reasonably healthy eating wise but her lips are really concerning me and I dont know where else to find help. She also opens her mouth alot but she's done that since the day I got her when her mouth looked fine eo idk if that may have something to do with it or not but might as well suggest it.
Here's another photo idk how well u can see but its the best I could get

Attachments

• 20220918_175716.jpg
    20220918_175716.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 20220918_175700.jpg
    20220918_175700.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 67
  • 20220918_175648.jpg
    20220918_175648.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 20220918_175645.jpg
    20220918_175645.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 71

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I can't tell forcsure but she looks injured, im goingbto flag a couple people.
@AHBD
@Drache613

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What are you using coil long tube fixture? Coils cause all kinds of health issues - she should have surface basking temps-- 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- your basking bulb should be a clear solid bright white basking bulb - please no off white colored yellowish or daytime bulbs

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It looks like possible mouth rot. You can apply unpasteurized honey mixed with a small amount of warm water. If it doesn't improve you may need to seek a reptile vet .

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

What type of thermometer are you using to measure the temperatures? As AHBD suggested, try
the raw unpasteurized honey on her mouth area to see if that helps out with the mouth issues. Is
she hitting her mouth on the tank sides at all?

Tracie

Mithtril

Original Poster
I'm using a zoo med thermometer but I've tried other ones to make sure the temperature was right and no she is really only on her basking spot or a log. Sometimes she'll run around but she seems pretty healthy other than whatever going in with her mouth but ok I will try the honey.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I'm using a zoo med thermometer but I've tried other ones to make sure the temperature was right and no she is really only on her basking spot or a log. Sometimes she'll run around but she seems pretty healthy other than whatever going in with her mouth but ok I will try the honey.
Is the thermometer a digital probe? And your uvb is a coil? Long tube fixture?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

As Karrie is suggesting, please try to get your UVB light upgraded to the long, linear fluorescent tube
bulb instead. The compact/coil lights are not strong enough for them.
If she isn't bashing her snout up against the tank side, I'm not quite sure what would be causing the
mouth/lips issue other than possibly temperatures not being optimal.
Do try the raw honey on the area to see if that will help to heal that up. How is she doing today?

Keep us posted on her.
Tracie

Mithtril

Original Poster
Hello,

As Karrie is suggesting, please try to get your UVB light upgraded to the long, linear fluorescent tube
bulb instead. The compact/coil lights are not strong enough for them.
If she isn't bashing her snout up against the tank side, I'm not quite sure what would be causing the
mouth/lips issue other than possibly temperatures not being optimal.
Do try the raw honey on the area to see if that will help to heal that up. How is she doing today?

Keep us posted on her.
Tracie
I am trying another solution right now cause I dont have access to the honey right now but she is still active and acts normally her lips are the same but I feel like I'm seeing it kinda dissappear a little bit. She has these white spots on her but I don't know if that's just her shedding or not. I have another beardie tho who've I had longer but he doesnt have any signs of shedding or hasn't had any spots like the female. The male may have mouth rot to I can't tell but I am treating it cuz it doesn't look horrible but I wanna make sure he doesn't get any worse if it is mouth rot. Here are some photos of the white on the female:

Attachments

• 16636944476648437735157133665251.jpg
    16636944476648437735157133665251.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 16636944888665799255990939855326.jpg
    16636944888665799255990939855326.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 59

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am trying another solution right now cause I dont have access to the honey right now but she is still active and acts normally her lips are the same but I feel like I'm seeing it kinda dissappear a little bit. She has these white spots on her but I don't know if that's just her shedding or not. I have another beardie tho who've I had longer but he doesnt have any signs of shedding or hasn't had any spots like the female. The male may have mouth rot to I can't tell but I am treating it cuz it doesn't look horrible but I wanna make sure he doesn't get any worse if it is mouth rot. Here are some photos of the white on the female:
Please get the honey as soon as you can and do not feed any crickets in the tank or they will go straight to her mouth -- that is shed your looking at -- the mouth should start to heal up w/ the correct UVB and the honey --- please start feeding her by syringe if you haft to she is thin and please keep her hydrated --

Mithtril

Original Poster
Please get the honey as soon as you can and do not feed any crickets in the tank or they will go straight to her mouth -- that is shed your looking at -- the mouth should start to heal up w/ the correct UVB and the honey --- please start feeding her by syringe if you haft to she is thin and please keep her hydrated --
Lmaoo if u seen her irl you'd know she definitely aint thin 🤣 anyways I will try to get that honey asap and if no crickets what should I be feeding her? Thank you so much for the help tho. I very much appreciate it and I'll update you and others on her health.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Lmaoo if u seen her irl you'd know she definitely aint thin 🤣 anyways I will try to get that honey asap and if no crickets what should I be feeding her? Thank you so much for the help tho. I very much appreciate it and I'll update you and others on her health.
She needs fresh salads every day-- Nutrition Content
ignore the kale info its outdated and its a very good staple
please get her some BSFL or nutri grubs they are a great staple for babies along w/ some dubia roaches
www.dubiaroaches.com -- do not dust the grubs / larvae --- but dust the roaches feed as many BSFL as you want --- you will need a bowl like this to keep them in they make great feeder / salad bowls
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
You want to get that UVB changed out as soon as you can -- I would shut the coil off and take her outside for some good UVB --- use a plastic tote NO glass it gets too hot --- 15 -30 min in the sun --- do NOT leave her unattended --- it will help w/ the healing process along w/ the honey ---

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zazzep
Top Bottom