Odd Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

xebo

My partner and I just bought a beardie and his viv about 2 months ago from a guy who didn't want him anymore. We were really excited and did plenty of research, however just 3 days after we got him I had to move home (to another city) for a month to take care of some important family issues. Now I'm back I am at home with Eddie (our dragon) most days, I feed him and turn his lights out at night and I handle him. I let him out to play, clean his viv, bathe him and try to get him to bond with me but he wont. He doesn't panic when I touch him but he just doesn't like me holding him, he tolorates it. It's beginning to quite upset me as I don't know what else I can do to encourage him to let me hold him. He's fine with me touching him but as soon as I try to pick him up he clings to whatever he's on and flatterns his tummy. He won't explore or play when I let him out he just sits and looks at me. He's fine with my partner and other people but he seems to have a bit of a sore spot where I'm concerned. I've tried feeding him by hand with his veg and crickets, I've used the odd treat such as dandalion leaves and some worms my partner bought but he refuses to eat them (Eddie not my partner).
Please can someone just give me some advice?

xebo

Original Poster
Sorry I just noticed where a bette place on the forum to post this would have been, but please if someone can help me please do....

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
First of all, relationships take time.

One idea, how are you picking him up? Scooping your hand under their body is the best way. Try and make sure their weight and all 4 legs are supported. If necessary give them a moment to find a spot that feels secure on your hand or arm before moving.

DoubleJ

Juvie Member
My lil man likes me to slide my palm under him and then he wraps his legs around my hand and lets me lift him out. Before I used to just pick him up from above (still with support tho) and he didn't like it, always scrabbled a bit and tried to cling to his rock. Maybe it's just a case of trying different (safe) ways of picking him up.

xebo

Original Poster
I knew it would take time it's just quite upsetting when he seems fine with everyone else. I pick him up properly, when we first got him I was terrified of doing it wrong so I did make a point to find out how to do that. Oh well, thank you guys.

ArchiesFamily

Juvie Member
We have Scout whom we call Grumpy Bunny. He just has a morose personality. I can't take it personal, because he's just....grumpy. Maybe your little guy just isn't going to be a social butterfly, but more like a toad-face like my baby.

Our other beardie, Vijah, is just a darling. He's cuddly, loves to be held, and never blackbeards us just for the heck of it.

edited to add: Scout is very much loved, we just laugh at his attitude.

xebo

Original Poster
Lol, maybe your right. My partner keeps telling me that Eddie's just in a mood and not to take it personally but I guess I was just hoping there was something I could do to encourage him to bond with me a bit more.
His old owner was an odd person too, he imported a monkey too which he kept in a birdcage and Ed was kept in the utility room so maybe he just isn't quite used to being handled yet?

ArchiesFamily

Juvie Member
It has only been 2 months, so you may still luck out. Grumpy Bunny and I will be here holding down the Owner's of SourPusses, OoS for short, and wait you out. You can join at any time. :lol:

It does sound like he had an usual beginning. Maybe he's still waiting on the monkey to jump out at him. :shock: Just keep up trying to hold him, feed him yummy treats (maybe some waxworms for the occasions when you have him out or as a treat when you put him back in his viv -Scout wont eat out of his viv), let him fall asleep on your chest at night, and just keep on. Good luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom