now a bit scared..

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemmons

i was supposed to have two female beardies but they sold me a male and female by mistake. then she got pregnant and laid eggs, which was quite exciting, but now i've read all this stuff on here and i'm a bit worried for her. the books i've got seemed to imply you had to induce a breeding season(which i didn't) and i kind of thought she'd just lay a few clutches then might never lay again. but that doesn't seem to be the case - or is it?

gregcranston

Hatchling Member
Not sure I totally understand the question, but the first thing I need to say is, THERE IS NO NEED TO BE SCARED!. Firstly how old is your female? A brumation period usually makes them more likely to breed, but they certainly don't need it to breed. As long as you are still keeping the male and female together there is a high probability that they will keep breeding indefinately (Up to 3-6 clutches of 15-30 eggs each per year for sometimes 6-7 years). So if you don't want them to do that, you may have to seperate them. Sorry if I havn't properly aswered your question, you can PM me if you like.

lemmons

Original Poster
thanks - and thanks for the advice on the incubator temps/humidity on the other thread as well - can i just add extra water to the vermiculite in the containers then? how do i know how much to add? the hovabator has water in the base but there's no condensation anywhere. the temp in their vivarium is pretty much constant all year round so i guess they don't know its our winter! not worried about her laying eggs - i find the whole thing fascinating and quite exciting, but don't want to do her any harm. she does seem happy though, he only chases her round occasionally and she goes and sits on him quite often so she's obviously not scared of him! i bought them both last oct/nov and they were about 12-16 weeks when i got them so about 16 months old ish. not sure if she's pregnant again because she seems to be behaving like she did last time - eating like a machine and basking a lot, although she hasn't done so much basking the last couple of days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom