Not using basking area + still head trembling?

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Drogon <3 RIP 2019- March 11, 2024 Lily: new girl in the house/ 5 months old
Hi Everyone!

I just updated my beardie's enclosure to a dubiaroaches.com enclosure. It's 4x2x2 feet.

I think Drogon is still getting used to everything, but here are my concerns.

1) I just installed his t5 under the hood as suggested. Now he's just hanging in the sand all day and won't go to his basking spot in the corner. It's currently at a 100 w bulb with temps at 95 (I'm thinking about installing a 150w exo-terra, but it made the screen really hot and I was concerned of a fire).

2) His head is still trembling despite advice to alternate calcium with and w/o D3. Do beardies do this when overstimulated or nervous?

Thanks for all of your help so far!

UPDATE:
Moved basking spot to middle of tank where rock ledges are. Drogon is open mouth basking (I assume he's at optimal temp?) at 97 degrees and climbing slowly! I know people usually have the UVB right by the basking point, but this would put him dangerously close to the UVB, so I'm keeping it separate as pictured below. Now I just need to know what's up with his head shaking when he's climbing or seems nervous.

Attachments

• PXL_20230131_211253648.jpg
    PXL_20230131_211253648.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 204
  • PXL_20230201_190614026.jpg
    PXL_20230201_190614026.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi Everyone!

I just updated my beardie's enclosure to a dubiaroaches.com enclosure. It's 4x2x2 feet.

I think Drogon is still getting used to everything, but here are my concerns.

1) I just installed his t5 under the hood as suggested. Now he's just hanging in the sand all day and won't go to his basking spot in the corner. It's currently at a 100 w bulb with temps at 95 (I'm thinking about installing a 150w exo-terra, but it made the screen really hot and I was concerned of a fire).

2) His head is still trembling despite advice to alternate calcium with and w/o D3. Do beardies do this when overstimulated or nervous?

Thanks for all of your help so far!
Let's have some others advise on this
@AHBD
@Drache613

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
How long has his he had the tremble ? Is it all the time or just when he's climbing ? Can you get a good video of it ? It could be neurological, could be a dietary [ supplement ] related but it would only be a guess.

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
How long has his he had the tremble ? Is it all the time or just when he's climbing ? Can you get a good video of it ? It could be neurological, could be a dietary [ supplement ] related but it would only be a guess.
When he's basking or still it doesn't happen. I noticed it started happening on and off when he sits on the window and seems nervous about climbing down. With the new enclosure, I noticed it when he was walking around and he stopped, then the tremble started. It seems like a nervous reaction! But I'll definitely try to get a video

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Is it just a brief few seconds or like minutes ? If it's just a few seconds it might be nothing, but if it goes longer + longer there may be something that needs a ct scan.

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Is it just a brief few seconds or like minutes ? If it's just a few seconds it might be nothing, but if it goes longer + longer there may be something that needs a ct scan.
It only happens for a few seconds! It's so brief that when I tell my husband to look he's stoped

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Just keep an eye on him to see if it gets worse. BTW , I don't remember but did Drogon have proper uvb before the one you just got ?
- I used to have a t8 10.0 over screen since that was what was recommended at the time that I did research. For about a year I've used a t5 10.0 over screen, but with the new enclosure now it's under screen

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bert_L
Top Bottom