Not sure if brumation or something else

Status
Not open for further replies.

chumon

Beardie name(s)
Scooter
Hey everyone, it's been awhile. Things have been going pretty well but now Scooter is about 2 now and she definitely went into semi brumation last year, so I'm thinking she is again, but shes been having less interest in her salad than she used to and I'm worries shes not getting enough nutrients. Her last 2 poops were pretty watery and I'm not sure if shes sick or not because of that. She still will eat crickets on her own time and semi lazily, but she is over all pretty latahrgic compared to normal. The only reason I think it might be brumation is because she came out to bask a bit a few days ago. Though she hasn't gaped in a long time.

I just changed her uvb bulb about a month ago and her temps are 75 to 85 ish on cool and 90s on hot with basking between high 90s and 110 depending on ambient temp during ththe day. At night the cool side can get a little low but I try to keep it above 70 with a space heater. Warm side stays around 75 to 80s at night. She is in her hut right now and has been mostly either sleeping in there or on the cool side.

Does any of this sound normal? Abnormal? I'm just nervous about her not coming out to get uvb much, she hasn't lost weight or anything, but I'm also concerned about her lack of interest in salad suddenly when she used to be so good about eating it. I did get her to have some squash baby food the other day but other wise she just grabs crickets if they happen by her face.

Thanks so much! <3

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hey everyone, it's been awhile. Things have been going pretty well but now Scooter is about 2 now and she definitely went into semi brumation last year, so I'm thinking she is again, but shes been having less interest in her salad than she used to and I'm worries shes not getting enough nutrients. Her last 2 poops were pretty watery and I'm not sure if shes sick or not because of that. She still will eat crickets on her own time and semi lazily, but she is over all pretty latahrgic compared to normal. The only reason I think it might be brumation is because she came out to bask a bit a few days ago. Though she hasn't gaped in a long time.

I just changed her uvb bulb about a month ago and her temps are 75 to 85 ish on cool and 90s on hot with basking between high 90s and 110 depending on ambient temp during ththe day. At night the cool side can get a little low but I try to keep it above 70 with a space heater. Warm side stays around 75 to 80s at night. She is in her hut right now and has been mostly either sleeping in there or on the cool side.

Does any of this sound normal? Abnormal? I'm just nervous about her not coming out to get uvb much, she hasn't lost weight or anything, but I'm also concerned about her lack of interest in salad suddenly when she used to be so good about eating it. I did get her to have some squash baby food the other day but other wise she just grabs crickets if they happen by her face.

Thanks so much! <3
@CooperDragon

chumon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Scooter
Thankfully she came out to bask a few minutes ago so thats a plus, and she even gaped for like ten seconds. She used to love her hammock which is where her uvb bulb is, but she hasn't been getting in it like she used too...it did come unattached at one point and I dont know if she was on it when it happened cause I wasnt home, but could that potentially make her hesitant to get back in it? I have her rocks and hut set up as a sort of ramp up to it and that's where her basking bulb is, it's as close to the uvb bulb as I can manage to get it. Should I try just feeding her salad and give her crickets only a couple times a week now? I know she should be transitioning into more veggies. I'm sorry for my hyper worry haha my main concern is her poop and whether shes getting enough uvb and nutrition.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thankfully she came out to bask a few minutes ago so thats a plus, and she even gaped for like ten seconds. She used to love her hammock which is where her uvb bulb is, but she hasn't been getting in it like she used too...it did come unattached at one point and I dont know if she was on it when it happened cause I wasnt home, but could that potentially make her hesitant to get back in it? I have her rocks and hut set up as a sort of ramp up to it and that's where her basking bulb is, it's as close to the uvb bulb as I can manage to get it. Should I try just feeding her salad and give her crickets only a couple times a week now? I know she should be transitioning into more veggies. I'm sorry for my hyper worry haha my main concern is her poop and whether shes getting enough uvb and nutrition.
Offer food slowly - as far as the uvb I am thinking the hammock falling may have scared her- you can take hammock down and put another piece of decor there to see if that is the issue- if she goes back to basking under it w/ a different piece then I would say so

chumon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Scooter
Offer food slowly - as far as the uvb I am thinking the hammock falling may have scared her- you can take hammock down and put another piece of decor there to see if that is the issue- if she goes back to basking under it w/ a different piece then I would say so
Of course the second i post my concerns she comes out and basks perfectly and eats like a champ 🙄 as usual haha I am still concerned about her runny poop so I guess the only thing left is to wait for her to poop again and see what it looks like. Shes now glass surfing a lot and really active. I took her out for a little bit and it helped for a little while but shes back at it now. Otherwise she seems great now, just waiting on that poop. I want to give her a dig box or something to dig into, I had one for her before but it wasnt really deep and she ended up just flinging everything all over the place. I saw someone say they used cut up fleece for something to dig in. Is that safe? Would it get to hot? Or could she need a lay box maybe? Sorry for all the questions hehe ^^;

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Of course the second i post my concerns she comes out and basks perfectly and eats like a champ 🙄 as usual haha I am still concerned about her runny poop so I guess the only thing left is to wait for her to poop again and see what it looks like. Shes now glass surfing a lot and really active. I took her out for a little bit and it helped for a little while but shes back at it now. Otherwise she seems great now, just waiting on that poop. I want to give her a dig box or something to dig into, I had one for her before but it wasnt really deep and she ended up just flinging everything all over the place. I saw someone say they used cut up fleece for something to dig in. Is that safe? Would it get to hot? Or could she need a lay box maybe? Sorry for all the questions hehe ^^;
Yes cut fleece into strips or paper towels will work too -- dig box you can use playsand --nothing w/ calcium in it you dont want her eating it

chumon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Scooter
Yes cut fleece into strips or paper towels will work too -- dig box you can use playsand --nothing w/ calcium in it you dont want her eating it
Alright thank you, I will try that and early await her next poop to see if it's still really runny. Are there any veggies in particular that might balance her digestion out? I've also noticedthat if the pieces stick to her dish too much and she cant pick them up within a few tries she gives up. I've hand fed her before but she only goes for it sometimes. Hmmm maybe if I dust the dish and then put the salad down? Or would that make them stick worse? Hmmm I'll have to try a few things..maybe put down the greens first as like a bed and then put everything else on top of it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Alright thank you, I will try that and early await her next poop to see if it's still really runny. Are there any veggies in particular that might balance her digestion out? I've also noticedthat if the pieces stick to her dish too much and she cant pick them up within a few tries she gives up. I've hand fed her before but she only goes for it sometimes. Hmmm maybe if I dust the dish and then put the salad down? Or would that make them stick worse? Hmmm I'll have to try a few things..maybe put down the greens first as like a bed and then put everything else on top of it.
greens first as like a bed and then put everything else on top of it. Yes make a bed of salad--- here is a website for nutrition
ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder Nutrition Content

chumon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Scooter
greens first as like a bed and then put everything else on top of it. Yes make a bed of salad--- here is a website for nutrition
ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder Nutrition Content
Oh thats a great idea thank you! I'll do that..

Now she finally pooped, it almost looks like leaf litter but I'm not sure it's still fairly goopy and the urate was kind of small and pinkish red, I just gave her a horn worm for water, the pinkish tone maybe from strawberries? But im not sure...here's a picture. Idk if anyone is good at this stuff but I have it hehe

Attachments

• 20220113_102919.jpg
    20220113_102919.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 93

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Oh thats a great idea thank you! I'll do that..

Now she finally pooped, it almost looks like leaf litter but I'm not sure it's still fairly goopy and the urate was kind of small and pinkish red, I just gave her a horn worm for water, the pinkish tone maybe from strawberries? But im not sure...here's a picture. Idk if anyone is good at this stuff but I have it hehe
The pink can be from the strawberries --- otherwise it looks ok

chumon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Scooter
The pink can be from the strawberries --- otherwise it looks ok
Okay, so its probably just too much water in her diet then. I just get concerned when theres jelly like substance in it, but it's hard to see in this picture. I think I'm gonna get some squash next and try to get my hands on a prickly pear and see if she likes that. She likes her greens okay but I definitely need to find something she likes veggie wise that she will really like i think. Thank you so much for your help. Esp. with the bed of greens to help with sticking. That was a huge issue haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom