Not shedding, tough yellowish skin on back

Status
Not open for further replies.

zazzilla

My bearded dragon has not grown or shed for the last 2 months. He's only 7 months old and he's the size of a 4 - 5 month old. I am extremely confused because I've checked the temperatures, I've checked the humidity, he eats at least 15 - 30 crickets each day along with a least a bit of greens. I make sure he's hydrated and he has normal bowel movements, as well as having his energetic moments. His only "odd" behavior, I'd say, is I sometimes catch him rubbing his face against his branch as if he's trying to itch it.

The other issue is the skin of his back has recently become tough and dark, with a yellowish tint on the sides. I'm trying to get a picture, but has anyone else ever experienced this? I'm really at my wits end as to how to help my dragon. I feel like I'm failing him as an owner, and I only want him to be happy and healthy. He has a vet appointment, but it's not for 2 weeks but I feel like the longer this issue is drawn out, the worse the outcome might become. Any help would be appreciated. :(

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
The darkening in color as well as the itching are both signs of shedding. Are you bathing 2-3 times a week? Or misting him in his enclosure daily? Hydration is a factor when it comes to shedding as the dragon has to produce a chemical substance that separates the outer layer of skin while forming new skin underneath.
To also add a dragon of 7 months should still be on a fairly high protein diet but, slowly switching to a more vegetable diet. By this stage it is close to a 50/50 split (in general). 30 crickets in a day may not be providing the necessary nutritional components the dragon requires for growth, there for slowing down the growth rate and the need for shedding.

Some questions-
What are his basking temps?
How are you taking the temps?
Do you provide water in the enclosure?
Are you dusting his feeders?
http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html
What is the substrate in the enclosure?
What UV source do you use? (brand and type)
How old is the UV source?

zazzilla

Original Poster
Beardednoob":9j408qfo said:
The darkening in color as well as the itching are both signs of shedding. Are you bathing 2-3 times a week? Or misting him in his enclosure daily? Hydration is a factor when it comes to shedding as the dragon has to produce a chemical substance that separates the outer layer of skin while forming new skin underneath.
To also add a dragon of 7 months should still be on a fairly high protein diet but, slowly switching to a more vegetable diet. By this stage it is close to a 50/50 split (in general). 30 crickets in a day may not be providing the necessary nutritional components the dragon requires for growth, there for slowing down the growth rate and the need for shedding.

Some questions-
What are his basking temps?
How are you taking the temps?
Do you provide water in the enclosure?
Are you dusting his feeders?
http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html
What is the substrate in the enclosure?
What UV source do you use? (brand and type)
How old is the UV source?

I bath him about twice a week, and I do mist him but I suppose I could do it more frequently. Directly underneath his basking lamp is a good 95 - 100 degrees, but he usually prefers to sit closer to the UV bulb rather than the lamp and that's typically 80 - 85 degrees. I have a dial thermometer someone recommended to me at the pet store, but if you know of a better one, please let me know! He does have water in his enclosure, it's at the far end of his 40 gallon terrarium, on the cool side. I dust his feeders very well every day. Currently, I have one of those eco-carpet terrarium liners. The UV bulb I have is a month old -- I bought it off of someone who owned bearded dragons that had passed recently, so I'm not entirely sure what exactly the specific brand and type are, but I will find out from them and let you know.

Thank you for the advice you've given so far. Around how many feeders should I typically feed him a day if I'm going to start splitting his diet 50/50 and are there any specific veggies you suggest I might give him more of? He's taken really well to romaine lettuce, and sometimes carrots but, otherwise, he's pretty picky.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
The best uvb the I know of at the moment is the reptisun 10 tube (no coil or compact or zilla bulbs) and this should be between 6 to 8 inches from his basking spot. I use the accurite digital thermometer with probe from Walmart for about $12. Put the thermometer on the cool side and the probe on his basking spot and this one will give you the cool side temp, the basking spot temp and a humidity reading. This is better than the stick on as the stick on can have the basking temps off by 20 degrees. Most of us put the heat bulb next to the tube uvb so they get the heat and uvb in the same spot.

boxerLvr

Also to add, romaine is bad for the beardie as it gives no nutritional value. Mustard greens, dandelion greens are two good ones. theres a blog on here on the best foods to feed and which to stay away from. petmountain has the reptisun 10 for the cheapest price and is what is recommended.

zazzilla

Original Poster
boxerLvr":1dt37636 said:
Also to add, romaine is bad for the beardie as it gives no nutritional value. Mustard greens, dandelion greens are two good ones. theres a blog on here on the best foods to feed and which to stay away from. petmountain has the reptisun 10 for the cheapest price and is what is recommended.

Alright, thank you so much for your advice. :) I bought him some collard greens earlier today to get him started after looking at the nutrition site you provided, and I'll be sure to look for that thermometer probe at Wal-Mart this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom