Not pooping as much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rango101

I’m pretty sure my 1 year old beardie is semi bruminating right now he’s lazier than usual just basking in one spot all day and falling asleep earlier. He’s still eating his bugs but is not big on his salad. He’s been having some trouble with undigested poops and having fewer poops. He used to poop every day but now if he goes more than 5 days without pooping I have to soak him for a long time for him to poop. Fecal check came back negative. 4x2x2 viv with reptisun T5 HO 11 inches from basking spot, 105F hot side 80 cool side. Any suggestions on helping him poop more easily? Should I hold off on the bugs and only do salad for a while? Thanks.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I’m pretty sure my 1 year old beardie is semi bruminating right now he’s lazier than usual just basking in one spot all day and falling asleep earlier. He’s still eating his bugs but is not big on his salad. He’s been having some trouble with undigested poops and having fewer poops. He used to poop every day but now if he goes more than 5 days without pooping I have to soak him for a long time for him to poop. Fecal check came back negative. 4x2x2 viv with reptisun T5 HO 11 inches from basking spot, 105F hot side 80 cool side. Any suggestions on helping him poop more easily? Should I hold off on the bugs and only do salad for a while? Thanks.
Normal for a dragon not to poop as much --- as long as his basking temps are good which is a little odd for the bugs being undigested w/ as high as the basking temps are -- are you getting those temps w/ a digital probe thermometer ? And are you using a hammock under the basking light? Is your UVB inside the tank?

rango101

Original Poster
Normal for a dragon not to poop as much --- as long as his basking temps are good which is a little odd for the bugs being undigested w/ as high as the basking temps are -- are you getting those temps w/ a digital probe thermometer ? And are you using a hammock under the basking light? Is your UVB inside the tank?
Ok I just worry since he's going longer between poops that he seems to strain a little bit in the bath when he poops. I check temps with a infrared thermometer. The UVB is inside the tank in a reflector.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok I just worry since he's going longer between poops that he seems to strain a little bit in the bath when he poops. I check temps with a infrared thermometer. The UVB is inside the tank in a reflector.
What are you feeding him for insects--- make sure the insect is no bigger than the space between his eyes length wise -- that can cause problems- please get a probe for accurate temps --- those temps can be off by certain materials a IR gun cannot pick up

rango101

Original Poster
What are you feeding him for insects--- make sure the insect is no bigger than the space between his eyes length wise -- that can cause problems- please get a probe for accurate temps --- those temps can be off by certain materials a IR gun cannot pick up
He gets dubias and the occasional silkworm. I have a temp probe on my herpstat on the basking spot but the probe is off by like 10 degrees compared to the infrared gun, I thought the IR gun was more accurate? Hopefully it is or else I guess my temps are too low? He does gape sometimes so I assume it is warm enough.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He gets dubias and the occasional silkworm. I have a temp probe on my herpstat on the basking spot but the probe is off by like 10 degrees compared to the infrared gun, I thought the IR gun was more accurate? Hopefully it is or else I guess my temps are too low? He does gape sometimes so I assume it is warm enough.
The digital is more accurate please go by that - that would account for the undigested bugs -- gaping is adjusting the body temp --

rango101

Original Poster
So it's been more than a week since his last poop, which is the longest he's ever gone. I've given him olive oil and I soak him daily but still no poop. I've double checked and his temps are good so any suggestions on what else I can do to get him to poop?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So it's been more than a week since his last poop, which is the longest he's ever gone. I've given him olive oil and I soak him daily but still no poop. I've double checked and his temps are good so any suggestions on what else I can do to get him to poop?
It is no uncommon for dragons as they get older to not poop for long periods of time -- mine dont poop for 3 weeks to a month - and when they do they let loose --- just give him time as long as his basking temps are where they need to be and UVB is good he will go

rango101

Original Poster
It is no uncommon for dragons as they get older to not poop for long periods of time -- mine dont poop for 3 weeks to a month - and when they do they let loose --- just give him time as long as his basking temps are where they need to be and UVB is good he will go
Thanks I won't start freaking out too much then. He's still eating well but he looks a little bloated and he's gained a few grams in poop weight I guess, is that normal too for a 1 year old? I'm just so used to him going a few times a week.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thanks I won't start freaking out too much then. He's still eating well but he looks a little bloated and he's gained a few grams in poop weight I guess, is that normal too for a 1 year old? I'm just so used to him going a few times a week.
keep him hydrated and feed him some canned plain pumpkin that will make him go to the bathroom- the water will push things along -- they slow down w/ the pooping around a year or so --

rango101

Original Poster
Thanks for your advice, the pumpkin did the trick he finally pooped. Last question- his urates were a bit chalky and hard, any suggestions for if there's anything I can do about this? I do try and orally hydrate him daily with a dropper but he never wants to drink much.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thanks for your advice, the pumpkin did the trick he finally pooped. Last question- his urates were a bit chalky and hard, any suggestions for if there's anything I can do about this? I do try and orally hydrate him daily with a dropper but he never wants to drink much.
Is he eating salads? If so rinse them before serving- how much supplements are you giving and what are you giving?

rango101

Original Poster
Is he eating salads? If so rinse them before serving- how much supplements are you giving and what are you giving?
He's not being great about eating salads lately, he'll eat a couple of bites a day but never finishes it. I do spray the salad with water. I give him zoo med calcium without D3 2-3 times a week lightly dusted on his roaches. He gets repcal multivitamin once a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom