Not Laying Infertile Eggs?

Delta250

Beardie name(s)
Marigold
Hello all, guess who’s back? Me once again worried about my dragon. It just never ends LOL!

Anyways, Marigold woke up from brumation or her winter slowdown at the beginning of February. A few days after that, she started going BONKERS. Glass surfing, leaving little poops everywhere etc.. definitely egg laying behavior! A few weeks ago I brought her to the vets to get X-rays to confirm. It definitely confirmed since you could clearly see the little follicles. I’ll try to post the pictures in here. The vet noted her bone density looked great and she’s very healthy. She also brought up the topic of a precautionary spay. That made me nervous of course, but she noted that exotic anesthesia has come a long way and it’s much safer nowadays, especially on a healthy dragon. I do trust her as she has bearded dragons of her own and is very knowledgeable on these guys!

So here I am now, a few weeks later and the erratic crazy behavior has stopped. She slowly has calmed down, pooping less. She has barely used her dig box this whole time. I saw her dig for the first time yesterday and it was only for 10min and then she went to bask. I’ve tried everything to make it comfortable for her. I wet the sand, put a light over her, tried even covering it to give her some privacy. Nothing! She is eating normally and is alert and active if I take her out. She just stopped the glass surfing and the typical behavior. She’s just acting like herself. I also noticed this whole time that she’s was thinning out a bit when she was crazy, so I was giving her extra bugs and calcium, but now since she’s calmed down, I can see the weight coming back.

What could be going on here? This is her first time carrying eggs. I don’t think she’s reabsorbed the follicles since if I give her a bath I can DEFINITELY feel them. She’s going back for a re-check this Thursday to see where they’re at!

Thank you so much for reading! This is also my first time dealing with eggs, so any feedback would be appreciated! 🧡

Attachments

• B7E6E716-6B1C-4D6C-AF3B-7476C3EE24DB.jpeg
    B7E6E716-6B1C-4D6C-AF3B-7476C3EE24DB.jpeg
    49.8 KB · Views: 126

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Spays are common now and if your vet has a good reputation with beardies then they can do the surgery with little risk. There is always SOME risk but if your beardie becomes eggbound it can be very serious , even fatal. Best wishes to you while making your decision !

Delta250

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Marigold
Spays are common now and if your vet has a good reputation with beardies then they can do the surgery with little risk. There is always SOME risk but if your beardie becomes eggbound it can be very serious , even fatal. Best wishes to you while making your decision !
That’s good to know. I would see it everywhere that spays are for emergencies only, so I was really nervous at the thought! I’ll definitely think about it and get more information Thursday! Thank you. 😊

Delta250

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Marigold
O.K, be sure to get a good look at any new xray so you can see for yourself if the follicles are still there.
Definitely! Vet usually comes back and pulls the X-rays up, and explains what she sees to me. Hopefully there is no issues, but her suddenly acting normal is freaking me out!

Delta250

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Marigold
Thought I’d give a bit of an update!

She is basically still in the follicle stage. They are definitely progressing, so we don’t need to intervene for now. Vet says if she doesn’t lay by next month, then she’ll give her a calcium and oxytocin injection. If that doesn’t work, then it would be time to consider a spay!

Vet was still happy about her bones! Hopefully she’ll lay without issues!

Delta250

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Marigold
Hey just another update. I am a bit conflicted on what to do.

She STILL has not laid these eggs. My last appointment in April showed them still progressing and I was given liquid calcium. She did start her active behavior again. Glass surfing, even some digging (she’d only dig outside the cage in a smaller dig box in a certain corner of my room..lol) She has calmed down again starting last week and stopped the digging.

I just had my appointment yesterday, the vet was totally expecting me to call at some point before then to say she laid her eggs, but sadly she has not. The most recent x-ray did show A LOT of progression and she did see evidence of shell. So, the vet gave Marigold an oxytocin shot yesterday, and said if that doesn’t work, we’ll give her another one today. The thing is, I felt so bad for her yesterday. Her belly was twitching a lot and she definitely seemed extremely uncomfortable. Today she just seems tired from the whole thing. She did still eat and she ended up pooping a lot. Should I go ahead with a second injection? I’m having doubts because she just seems so worn out and I don’t know if a second one will do anything but stress her body.

Would calling and waiting a couple to a few more weeks be a good idea? She was fine before this. Still eating and going to the bathroom. So conflicted. 😞

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sorry that things are so stressful + confusing. Did Marigold get another shot today, if so how did she respond ? I think another shot may help her if the shelled eggs are in the oviduct ready to lay. If she's having trouble then whatever the vet says for the next step.

Delta250

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Marigold
Sorry that things are so stressful + confusing. Did Marigold get another shot today, if so how did she respond ? I think another shot may help her if the shelled eggs are in the oviduct ready to lay. If she's having trouble then whatever the vet says for the next step.
I did opt to wait to give her another one since she was so tired yesterday and wasn’t herself. She’ll be getting her second shot next Thursday. I know the vet said that if she doesn’t lay after the second one, she highly recommended a spay, but to me on the X-rays it didn’t really looked like the eggs dropped. They did spread out and I think started to develop a shell. We’ll see.

Delta250

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Marigold
Hopefully this will be a final update!

She just started laying an hour ago, there are A LOT of eggs. I’m so relieved!
Is it normal for a beardie to be gravid for 4 whole months?! I felt like this whole ordeal was insane. I saw a vet Monday as we were getting her checked before doing a spay, but the eggs progressed so much there was no need. I asked the vet if this is normal, she said it isn’t, but each beardie varies when it comes to developing eggs. Marigold is just really slow to do so I guess!

Thought I’d just post a final (hopefully) update to this! Thanks for your help!
6D634C0B-4730-48FF-B7EF-D09A000A8D45.jpeg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Good for her to finally have those eggs out the natural way ! Those must have been follicles on the xray and they went on to develop the shells and then Marigold popped them out. :) Glad that it all worked out, be sure to hydrate and feed her well.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Poor lil thing looks exhausted, she is very pretty 😍.
Be sure to give her extra calcium for a little bit. She will likely be depleted.

Delta250

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Marigold
I’m so happy it worked out! She is definitely pretty tired today, but still ate some calcium dusted worms and didn’t mind me giving her some water! I still have liquid calcium from the vet so I’ll continue giving her that for a bit! Was such a cool thing to witness!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I just wanted to say that I am very happy that Marigold was able to lay naturally without having to
get surgery. Bless her. She does look pretty tired!
Looking at the initial picture, she definitely was full of unshelled eggs/developing follicles! Good
grief, she must feel a lot better getting them all out.
Definitely continue with the liquid calcium for awhile for her. Hopefully she doesn't develop another
batch.
She is a beautiful girl!

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom