Not eating.?

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Toothless is always so so good about eating. Eats tons of crickets, his BSFL, hornowrms, salads, etc.

But over the last week, he's not as excited about his crickets as he usually is. But would still eat BSF and dubias and salads. But today, he doesn't want anything. He ate one hornworm. Won't eat his grubs, salad or crickets. He's just laying in his basking spot. Is it cause for concern.?

Attachments

• 1668009441942425886360940280865.jpg
    1668009441942425886360940280865.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 120

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Toothless is always so so good about eating. Eats tons of crickets, his BSFL, hornowrms, salads, etc.

But over the last week, he's not as excited about his crickets as he usually is. But would still eat BSF and dubias and salads. But today, he doesn't want anything. He ate one hornworm. Won't eat his grubs, salad or crickets. He's just laying in his basking spot. Is it cause for concern.?
Not necessarily-- they can go off their food at times - could be the weather effecting him - how old is he?

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Not necessarily-- they can go off their food at times - could be the weather effecting him - how old is he?
He's only 5 months. He doesn't go outside but it's cool and windy today. Yesterday was almost 80°.

It's normal to turn down almost everything.?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He's only 5 months. He doesn't go outside but it's cool and windy today. Yesterday was almost 80°.

It's normal to turn down almost everything.?
Yes -- as long as your UVB is good and you have good surface basking temps he should be fine- I would get him off the crickets and put him on dubias as the main staple feeder- just watch him and offer food - hes basking and pooping should be good as well --

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Yes -- as long as your UVB is good and you have good surface basking temps he should be fine- I would get him off the crickets and put him on dubias as the main staple feeder- just watch him and offer food - hes basking and pooping should be good as well --
He's basking and pooping but he's just laying there. He seems a little lethargic, he usually scurries all over our bed but today, he's just laying wherever we put him. He doesn't have any other symptoms of anything.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He's basking and pooping but he's just laying there. He seems a little lethargic, he usually scurries all over our bed but today, he's just laying wherever we put him. He doesn't have any other symptoms of anything.
Put him back in his tank ---- please post a pic of him -- when people tell me lethargic I get concerned - do you have the T 5 UVB?

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Put him back in his tank ---- please post a pic of him -- when people tell me lethargic I get concerned - do you have the T 5 UVB?
Not right now due to money but we have an 80 watt powersun and a basking bulb. I don't know if that matters, but he usually sits up on his log, almost standing, and usually doesn't lay on it. He usually looses his mind for dubias but he just looked at them this morning. All he's eaten is a single hornworm

Attachments

• 16680129176394556898731448434380.jpg
    16680129176394556898731448434380.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 16680129867081617250908453094143.jpg
    16680129867081617250908453094143.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 42

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Not right now due to money but we have an 80 watt powersun and a basking bulb. I don't know if that matters, but he usually sits up on his log, almost standing, and usually doesn't lay on it. He usually looses his mind for dubias but he just looked at them this morning. All he's eaten is a single hornworm
How old is the Powersun and is it on top of a screen? Hes not going to eat w/ out proper UVB and the MVB's are good for heat but not so much UVB and depending on where its at and how old the bulb is he may / is not getting enough UVB ---- he wont eat w/ out it

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
How old is the Powersun and is it on top of a screen? Hes not going to eat w/ out proper UVB and the MVB's are good for heat but not so much UVB and depending on where its at and how old the bulb is he may / is not getting enough UVB ---- he wont eat w/ out it
It's new, we got it maybe two weeks ago. It's been sitting on a screen for about 2 months, since we got him.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It's new, we got it maybe two weeks ago. It's been sitting on a screen for about 2 months, since we got him.
Ok so the 80 watt bulb I would get your basking decor 8" under it -- right now you might be ok for UVB please try that distance and see what he does -- if its not helping matters w/ it on the screen unobstruct it - your screen is blocking 30% of the rays --

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Ok so the 80 watt bulb I would get your basking decor 8" under it -- right now you might be ok for UVB please try that distance and see what he does -- if its not helping matters w/ it on the screen unobstruct it - your screen is blocking 30% of the rays --
The basking bulb is a 75 watt and it's on a stand, like three inches above the screen and the part of his carpet it shines on reads like 115-120 and I dunno what to do about that.

Does he look okay.?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The basking bulb is a 75 watt and it's on a stand, like three inches above the screen and the part of his carpet it shines on reads like 115-120 and I dunno what to do about that.

Does he look okay.?
He looks ok but that temp if your getting it w / a digital probe thermometer is way too hot -- you want surface basking temps 95-100 --- use only the Powersun for heat and UVB-- shut the 75 watt off -- get a temp w/ just the MVB -- go from there --- w/ a the stand and raising the MVB is going to mean less UVB -- that is the issue w/ these MVB 's - you raise it it lowers the UVB rays not good - if its too close then you have too hot of temps

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
He looks ok but that temp if your getting it w / a digital probe thermometer is way too hot -- you want surface basking temps 95-100 --- use only the Powersun for heat and UVB-- shut the 75 watt off -- get a temp w/ just the MVB -- go from there --- w/ a the stand and raising the MVB is going to mean less UVB -- that is the issue w/ these MVB 's - you raise it it lowers the UVB rays not good - if its too close then you have too hot of temps
The uvb bulb is straight on the screen, the basking bulb is raised. If I turn the basking bulb off, it doesn't get hot enough. His rocks and stuff around it aren't too hot, just that one spot right in the middle. The surface temps are otherwise 97-100.

He doesn't even want to eat superworms and those are his favorite...

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Is there a way to tell if maybe he's running a fever or something.? When should we take him to the vet.? I really don't want my boy to be sick...

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The uvb bulb is straight on the screen, the basking bulb is raised. If I turn the basking bulb off, it doesn't get hot enough. His rocks and stuff around it aren't too hot, just that one spot right in the middle. The surface temps are otherwise 97-100.

He doesn't even want to eat superworms and those are his favorite...
As long as hes got a spot to sit and bask that is not too hot-- he wont sit under the spot that is too hot he will sit where he is most comfortable -- so the UVB is getting blocked by the screen - I would get that adjusted - he needs good UVB -- watch his behavior the next few days -- it could be the weather effecting the appetite

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom