Not eating.?

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
I got him day before yesterday, he's my very first one. Yesterday he ate good, like 10+ crickets and a couple mealworms. When so far today, I've given him a couple crickets and some veggies and a zucchini flower and a few small pieces of watermelon and two mealworms and i don't believe he has eaten any of it. He's just been sunbathing. He did poop this morning, if that makes a difference. And he is shedding. Could the new environment at my house with my boyfriend and kids and shedding be contributing to him not eating.? Like everything at once just stressing him out.?

I'm using a powersun 160 watt uv bulb light and a powersun 80 watt uv bulb and the temp in the hot zone sits right under 100, between 95 and 97, usually. If there is a way to make it hotter for him, I'm open for suggestions. A few people have suggested a specific type of tube light and we are looking into it.

Attachments

• 20220829_182152.jpg
    20220829_182152.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 110

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Whoa 160 watt is a huge bulb, are you sure you need that much heat? You need to use a digital probe to check his temp 95 to 100 for adult, 105 to 110 for a baby. And yes please get a tube uvb it is absolutely imperative. Those little coil/compact bulbs are junk and will cause him all manners of problems. Work with Karrieree she can help you get it spot on.
And to answer your question yes he is stressed, a lot of babies take a few days to start eating again when you first get them.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Whoa 160 watt is a huge bulb, are you sure you need that much heat? You need to use a digital probe to check his temp 95 to 100 for adult, 105 to 110 for a baby. And yes please get a tube uvb it is absolutely imperative. Those little coil/compact bulbs are junk and will cause him all manners of problems. Work with Karrieree she can help you get it spot on.
And to answer your question yes he is stressed, a lot of babies take a few days to start eating again when you first get them.
The person from the pet store said it was good, since it was a powersun uv bulb, it's not a coil. I have a digital thermometer that takes the "house" temp and when I poin it inside the tank, it's reading about 97ish on the hotside.

Groggyfroggie

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Draco
Hi, since you just got him it's common for them to not have an appetite at first. It's possibly due to relocation stress and/or shedding. If he doesn't have a black beard or other behaviours that cause concern, I'd say he's just adjusting. Maybe cut down on the amount of food during the first week or two, work your way up depending on how he's doing.

Also mealworms can be difficult for babies to digest. Crickets, dubia roaches, black soldier fly larvae, silk worms all great feeders.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Hi, since you just got him it's common for them to not have an appetite at first. It's possibly due to relocation stress and/or shedding. If he doesn't have a black beard or other behaviours that cause concern, I'd say he's just adjusting. Maybe cut down on the amount of food during the first week or two, work your way up depending on how he's doing.

Also mealworms can be difficult for babies to digest. Crickets, dubia roaches, black soldier fly larvae, silk worms all great feeders.
He doesnt have a black beard, I don't think. He does have the dark marks on his chin and belly, though. Which I thought were indicators of stress, I'm hoping thats just because of relocation/shedding.

He went right to bed last night when I turned his light off last night as opposed to the night before, he ran around glass surfing for an hour or two.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
He doesnt have a black beard, I don't think. He does have the dark marks on his chin and belly, though. Which I thought were indicators of stress, I'm hoping thats just because of relocation/shedding.

He went right to bed last night when I turned his light off last night as opposed to the night before, he ran around glass surfing for an hour or two.
You dont need 2 PowerSun bulbs one is good - what size is the tank? And where is the PowerSun top of screen or is the screen off -- you need two digital probe thermometers to get actual surface basking temps- 105-110 for a baby --- please get a long tube UVB to compliment the MVB --- please tell me what size the tank is so I can help w/ the long tube fixture- most MVB's do not emit enough UVB and he needs to the UVB to keep illnesses and MBD from developing -- his appetite will increase once hes adjusted to the tank but we need those basking temps and UVB spot on for that to happen -- please no more meal worms -- you need to feed fresh salads every day along w/ a good staple insect like crickets dubia roaches I recommend those or BSFL which are a good compliment to the roaches and great for babies --

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom