Not eating possible partial brumation

Scalylove2022

Beardie name(s)
Aussie & Bob
My youngest dragon will be 8m on Nov 20th. She was am excellent eater until the end of August beginning of September she's had two vet trips because of this both fecal were clear based on the exam she is a healthy female. She's 18in long and 326g at her appt today. She had not shed since this started she has gained weight she just doesn't eat her greens or bugs. She will pick at times. Temps are 105 basking 96-81 hot to cool sides humidity is usually around 28to31. I thought brumation possibly but vet says captive bred reptiles shouldn't brumate I have other reptiles including a 4yr old beardie who never has. I know she's still young so I'm just a little concerned about her. Today's vet visit it was recommended that I raise the cool side Temps a little and soak up her soaks and that trying reptaid would be fine. I was just looking for advice or input. I've gone through my husbandry multiple times and I'm just not sure what more to do so all advice is welcome

Attachments

• received_1490109411473752.jpeg
    received_1490109411473752.jpeg
    157 KB · Views: 88
  • 20221114_134048.jpg
    20221114_134048.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 58

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My youngest dragon will be 8m on Nov 20th. She was am excellent eater until the end of August beginning of September she's had two vet trips because of this both fecal were clear based on the exam she is a healthy female. She's 18in long and 326g at her appt today. She had not shed since this started she has gained weight she just doesn't eat her greens or bugs. She will pick at times. Temps are 105 basking 96-81 hot to cool sides humidity is usually around 28to31. I thought brumation possibly but vet says captive bred reptiles shouldn't brumate I have other reptiles including a 4yr old beardie who never has. I know she's still young so I'm just a little concerned about her. Today's vet visit it was recommended that I raise the cool side Temps a little and soak up her soaks and that trying reptaid would be fine. I was just looking for advice or input. I've gone through my husbandry multiple times and I'm just not sure what more to do so all advice is welcome
Your vet gave you bad advice about captive dragons- why would you want to prevent their instinct? It is not good to prevent this 8 months is young and she could be just slowing down- I would not increase temps in the cool side- giving too many baths are going to dry her scales out- keep offering her food and keep track of her weight- my dragons are off w/ the food now eating very little - my 3 year old is sleeping deeply- my 4 year old is awake and basking - eating little- your vet should know it's not good to bathe too much or prevent what they know instinct wise- the only time it should be prevented is when they are sick or under weight- she's of good weight

Scalylove2022

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Aussie & Bob
Your vet gave you bad advice about captive dragons- why would you want to prevent their instinct? It is not good to prevent this 8 months is young and she could be just slowing down- I would not increase temps in the cool side- giving too many baths are going to dry her scales out- keep offering her food and keep track of her weight- my dragons are off w/ the food now eating very little - my 3 year old is sleeping deeply- my 4 year old is awake and basking - eating little- your vet should know it's not good to bathe too much or prevent what they know instinct wise- the only time it should be prevented is when they are sick or under weight- she's of good weight
I didn't feel real comfortable with the advice given honestly which is why I was kinda curious as to what to do. Since she's healthy I am gonna let her be and just monitor her weight and offer food. My older beardie who is 5 has never fully brumated but he does slack off on food this time of year and nap a little more. Thanks I appreciate you responding

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom