Not eating, pooping, or shedding/yellow urate

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has been progressively slowing down little by little and now is just eating nothing. Also his irate was yellow last time he pooped which was almost a week ago. I at first thought he was just getting older and his metabolism is slowing down, then thought possible brumation, but now I feel something is wrong. Any ideas? I scheduled a vet appt for tomorrow but don't always trust vets

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry your dragon is having some trouble.
Can you review your tank setup for us, such as the type/brand of UVB, supplementation
& temperatures?
Is he losing weight or is his weight stable?
It could be brumation or parasites, or something else, it is always hard to tell. Has his
beard been black at all showing distress?

Tracie

Remysbiggestfan

Original Poster
I have a 40 gallon tank and reptisun 10.0 T5 that is probably about a foot away, temps in basking around 110-115 F with variability on cool end, above 65 F at night. Dust everything w calcium, about half the time with d3, sometimes with other vitamin mix. His beard has never turned black, but sometimes I notice underneath it seems to be turning a little black. Would it be full on black if something was wrong? I do notice he is sometimes darker than other times but sometimes I can't tell the why it would be. He has a varied diet (that has gotten MORE varied lately.. Maybe causing this?) of multiple greens (none of which he EVER eats) crickets, dubias, multiple types of worms (wax, super, bsl, the occasional horn worm) and some fruit which is about the only thing he's eating right now. He started out first completely denying anything vegetable whatsoever, then stopped chasing crickets as much as usual, then denied crickets completely, then only ate worms, then only ate treat worms like super worms, then started denying those completely and only is eating small bites of blueberry and strawberry. I know I probably shouldn't even offer treats when he's not eating but UGH don't want him to starve! Unless it's just brumation which I am very unfamiliar with.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon today?
I would get the basking temperatures lowered to a range of 95-110F. The 115F may be too hot
for him.
How many times do you dust his food with calcium? Since his urates are yellow, he might be
getting too much supplementation. I would only dust with calcium once daily, 4-5 days per
week.
How did the vet appointment for him go?
How old is he? The lighting sounds just fine, the T5 is a great bulb, too so he will be getting
ample UVB exposure there. He has a very diverse diet also. Normally they wont let themselves
starve for too long. If he is getting too hot it will affect his appetite quite a bit.
Try lowering the temperatures & let us know how he is doing with that adjustment.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abby999
Top Bottom