Not eating. Paniced behaviour. Very worried momma! Please he

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
I have had Dexter for 4 months.
She was a rescued dragon with a front claw missing and no toes on the back leg. She was housed with several other species of lizard and was prayed upon. She was never handled and she also struggled to get food. We were told she would be a 'handful' to look after but we fell in love with her.

She is usually a boisterous and demanding little madame, scurrying around her cage, loving to explore our home and will ONLY be put back in her tank when she is good and ready. (This technique ranges from clamping her arms and legs around my hand until i withdraw it from the viv or scurrying up my arm and hiding behind my head).

Dex has always been fussy with food. Sometimes only eating if I hand feed her, sometimes only eating her locust and sometimes not eating at all.

Her behaviour over the few couple of days is worrying me.
She stopped eating properly three days ago.
Wednesday I managed to hand feed her a few mealworms only (offered her her usual bowl of veggies)
Thursday a few mealworms (and changed her veggies to apple slices)
Friday hardly anything again, a few bites of apple and a couple of morio worms. She was very lethargic all day until i gave her a bath she perked up a little)
Saturday nothing. No worms, no wax worms, no squash no veggies. She is also FULL of energy. She is sprinting around her tank non stop and sprinting around the room when I get her out. Currently she is banging on the glass requiring my attention.

Is this anything to worry about?

How old is your dragon? Unknown as she is a rescue.
How long have you had your dragon? 4 months
How long is your dragon? 13inches tip to tail resonably good fat pouches under her arms and legs but a slim torso.
What is the sex of your dragon? female (we think)
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in? very large viv (will get dimensions as soon as i find my tape measure! off the top of my head i think it was 45inches long 29 inches wide and 29 inches high)
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank? sand (not calci)
Do you use UVB lights? yes.
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb? mercury vapor (realsun 100w)
How old is your UVB bulb? 4 months
How close can your dragon get to the UVB? not very close.
What are the basking temps? 115
What is the cool side temp? 80ish
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun? used to have a wire probe (stood on it!) currently using a repti-thermometer.
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps? directly under the lamp on her basking rocks.
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad? nope.
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific. Normally veggies (chinese leaf, little cabbage, rocket leaf, little carrot, occasional fruit) cut up into small bits, mealworms sprinkled on top to attract her attention, 3 large locust a day.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)? she is given her food when her light goes on in the morning. food is taken out at night.
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc? yes.
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them? 'Dragon Dust' all in one suppliement. 3 times a week.
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)? yes.
Do you bath your dragon? How often? once daily in the evening a few hours befor lights out.
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath? mist yes. she will only drink from her bath though.
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon? no.
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done? no. im still looking for a vet who is familiar with reptiles. so far none in my city or the surrounding villages.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I'm a little confused about your uvb bulb. You said you have a mercury vapor that's a reptisun 100? as far as I know, reptisun doesn't make a mercury vapor bulb. The only mercury vapor bulbs I know of are the Mega Ray, the T rex and what I think is called the Solar something. The reptisuns are the fluorescent uvb's and come in the 10 and 5.

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
ah sorry, mustve got confused ive had another look and her basking bulb is a 100w REALsun bulb.

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
UPDATE:
sunday. still not eating a thing. not lethargic, has been basking and is now scurrying around her viv again.
regular bowel movements.

UPDATE:
monday still wont eat a thing. turns away no matter what i offer. still scurrying around her viv at top speed.

please help.
Dex was in such a bad shape when we got her I dont want to lose her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom