Not eating, not too active... new home blues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

imsarah

How old is your dragon? I don't know, I think they said they were about a year
How long have you had your dragon? Picked them up sunday night
How long is your dragon?17 inches
What is the sex of your dragon? the female is the one I'm worried about
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in? 1foot wide, 1foot tall, 3 feet long
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank? I think its walnut shells
Do you use UVB lights? all they had was a red light so I went by PetCo on Monday morning and got them a long florescent light and a basking light. I just bought what the girl at PetCo told me they needed.... uva and uvb
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb? a tube and a bulb.....
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)? the PetCo girl said to go with a 100w.
How old is your UVB bulb? Bought it this morning
How close can your dragon get to the UVB? She's just been sitting on her brick right underneath it... the bulb is right on the top of the aquarium, its a foot tall. So less than a foot away.
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? ....100w
What are the basking temps? I don't know, I don't have a thermometer
What is the cool side temp? I don't know, I don't have a thermometer
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun?.....
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps?.....
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad? No
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific. I guess their core diet was superworms and a few veggies. And then she also gave me these little ham looking things called Nature Zone Bites for Bearded Dragons, she said were supposed to be an occasional treat. I bought Zilla Fortified Food Bearded Dragon dry food today at PetCo. Soaked it in warm water and put it in a dish, they weren't interested.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)? I try to get them to eat whenever I can since she hasn't eaten yet.
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc? I have no clue what that means.
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them? The Nature Zone says its loaded with vitamins.. does that count?
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)? We cleaned poops out of the tank when I picked them up, I didn't see any today.
Do you bath your dragon? How often? I haven't yet, I don't know if I should wait until she's feeling better, wouldn't she get chilled when she gets out of the water?
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath? I gave them clean water last night when I got them home, and the waters still clean today since they haven't touched it.
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon? They've been tankmates since they were babies.
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done? Not yet

Okay so I brought them home last night and the last few times I've gone to visit and check them out, the boy is pretty alert and goes for the worms when they're thrown around the room. The girl not so much. The woman I got them from said that the female is more dominant when inside the tank, not so much outside. I've never seen her eat when I visit. So I bring them home last night and put a few worms in the tank and all the worms burrow under the sand before the dragons have a chance to care to go get them. I put them out on the carpet and put a few worms around within reach of their mouths, nothing. She just looks at them and looks up at me. The female spent the first night on the basking brick underneath the red night light, the male slept under the log. They spent today basking together on the brick, heads up, breathing seems steady, I'm just concerned about their appetite. Please tell me its normal for them to not want to eat after moving to a new home and that its okay for them to miss a few days meals and that its nothing for me to really worry about.

nesta's mommy

Sub-Adult Member
the crushed walnut needs to come out as it has been known to cause impaction and it can rip their stomach lining/intestines.

what are the exact types of lights that you have?
you need a therm as beardies have specific temp requirements...

LJean

Extreme Poster
Dragons can suffer from relocation stress when they move into a new home.

There are some things with your set-up that may be the issue though.
You will need to get a good thermometer or temp gun to check the temps in the viv. Temps and lighting are important for their well being.
I wonder if the 100watt bulb is making it too hot in the tank. You would want the basking spot to be around 100 degrees and they need a cool end too. (about 75-80)
Some uv lights have been causing issues with dragons. Can you tell us which uv light you have?
They will also need suppliments, both calcium and a multivitamin. Calcium dusting the feeders once a day for 4-5 days and the multivitamin once a day for 2 days a week.

Gutloading is feeding the bugs before feeding them to the dragon. Makes them a healthier meal.

A bath is a good way to hydrate them. Luke warm water up to their arm pits for 15-20 minutes. You just dry them off and put them back in the viv to warm up again.

LJean

Extreme Poster
Oh, and if you use some kind of dish for the superworms, they won't have a chance to hide under the sand. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom