not eating greens

zazo

Summer, my almost 2 years female bearded dragon is not eating greens. She gets super excited when I feed her superworms and start running towards the worm. I just got her recently (3 weeks ago). I tried many techniques to get her to eat greens but she's just not interested. I am using an arcadia t5 and the basking temperature is between 95-100 F. She does seem a bit lethargic and stays mostly in one spot. She is not gravid btw.. is it okay if I just keep her on superworms and dubia roaches?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Summer, my almost 2 years female bearded dragon is not eating greens. She gets super excited when I feed her superworms and start running towards the worm. I just got her recently (3 weeks ago). I tried many techniques to get her to eat greens but she's just not interested. I am using an arcadia t5 and the basking temperature is between 95-100 F. She does seem a bit lethargic and stays mostly in one spot. She is not gravid btw.. is it okay if I just keep her on superworms and dubia roaches?
What have you tried w/ getting her to the food bowl? She really needs to eat some greens and I would not feed her the treat worms anymore- cut those off and feed only the dubias two days a week and put fresh salads in every day -- we can start there for now

zazo

Original Poster
I tried hand feeding, putting some worms on her salad, and mixing some bright colors like different colors of sweet bell pepper, I tried also squash, mustard greens, and celery leaves, but no luck.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I tried hand feeding, putting some worms on her salad, and mixing some bright colors like different colors of sweet bell pepper, I tried also squash, mustard greens, and celery leaves, but no luck.
Ok what kind of worms?

parodyofagirl

Hatchling Member
To get our dragon Buddy to eat his salad, I get a cheese grater and grate fresh butternut squash and mix it in with his dandelion greens.

They kind of look like orange worms.

zazo

Original Poster
thanks for the tips. I sometimes put a small amount of greens in her mouth while she is basking with her mouth open and she eats them. Is this okay and does it help make her used to eating greens?

parodyofagirl

Hatchling Member
Ideally, you want her to eat them on her own and not expect to be hand fed (and she will train you to only hand feed her if you give her the opportunity.)

Our first dragon wouldn’t eat greens and if contributed to him having health problems he wouldn’t have had otherwise.

With Buddy, our second dragon that I found as an adult, i’ve always given him greens but there was a learning curve and it took him a few months to get used to associating food with the lid I use as his food dish, but now he knows it will be filled daily with fresh greens, squash and sometimes strawberry slivers, apples, and even some calciworms once in awhile i I can find them and he always looks at it with interest when I bring it to him in the morning.

fcooper

Hatchling Member
You can try hand feeding him his worms, and then between worms offer a piece of salad to get him going. You can also try adding various things to his salad like red pepper, squash, berries, etc. to give it some color and attract his attention.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bugluvr3
Top Bottom