Not eating, basking a lot, burping

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Breathing heavy, puffing out the beard and forced exhalation [ burping ] when taking place at the same time are symptoms of a respiratory infection. What is his size [ at least length ] Is he at least 16-17" long ? You wouldn't want a young dragon that possibly is sick to brumate. His lethargy may be due to being ill. And just FYI, a electrolyte bath will have no benefit whatsoever unless he's actually drinking and even then it's not necessary.

RockyinColorado

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky
Let him sleep --- when is the new bulb coming? When you get it please let me know I will help you get it placed--- after the new bulb is installed we will see what his behavior does at that point- he could be going into brumation but we want the UVB on par to rule out that is the cause for the behavior your getting or if its brumation
He is fully sleeping now. For better or worse, he’s in full brumation. He never acted sickly or anything. His only symptom was not eating and that makes sense going into brumation. But now I’m not sure what to do about the light since it seems like it’s recommended to start decreasing the light when they’re in brumation. Can having increased light bring them out of it? I’m worried that he is too young for this. Can brumation hurt a juvenile?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
He is fully sleeping now. For better or worse, he’s in full brumation. He never acted sickly or anything. His only symptom was not eating and that makes sense going into brumation. But now I’m not sure what to do about the light since it seems like it’s recommended to start decreasing the light when they’re in brumation. Can having increased light bring them out of it? I’m worried that he is too young for this. Can brumation hurt a juvenile? Improper uvb can simulate brumation w/ the not eating too-
What is the weight? They need to be at least 300 grams- it's a weight issue- not age so much - but babies do not brumate-

RockyinColorado

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky
What is the weight? They need to be at least 300 grams- it's a weight issue- not age so much - but babies do not brumate-
He is about 8 months old. He was a very good eater before this all started. I don’t know his weight. I could weigh him... but he’s sleeping. Should I handle him to weigh him while he’s asleep?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He is about 8 months old. He was a very good eater before this all started. I don’t know his weight. I could weigh him... but he’s sleeping. Should I handle him to weigh him while he’s asleep?
No wait till tomorrow - but get a weight on him please-- did the UVB bulb come yet? We need to get this properly placed for the tank

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

We do need to get his UVB lighting all fixed so he has good exposure. Is he still sleeping quite a bit?
How is he looking, are his fat pads normal or dented in at all?
If he is having symptoms that seem respiratory related & or he is just too young, he really shouldn't be
sleeping for extended amounts of time or brumating.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

RockyinColorado

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky
Let him sleep --- when is the new bulb coming? When you get it please let me know I will help you get it placed--- after the new bulb is installed we will see what his behavior does at that point- he could be going into brumation but we want the UVB on par to rule out that is the cause for the behavior your getting or if its brumation
I will let you know as soon as I get it. If he is sound asleep under a rock (which he has been for three days now) or should I risk moving him to weigh him? Or should I leave him alone?

RockyinColorado

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky
Hello,

We do need to get his UVB lighting all fixed so he has good exposure. Is he still sleeping quite a bit?
How is he looking, are his fat pads normal or dented in at all?
If he is having symptoms that seem respiratory related & or he is just too young, he really shouldn't be
sleeping for extended amounts of time or brumating.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie
He does not have any respiratory symptoms. However he is pretty young. As for the fat pads, i’m just not sure. He has been sleeping for three days now. I don’t know how to wake him up out of brumation or if it’s even possible. Should I just try to make his room and tank warmer and hope he comes out of it naturally?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I will let you know as soon as I get it. If he is sound asleep under a rock (which he has been for three days now) or should I risk moving him to weigh him? Or should I leave him alone?
When the UVB comes let me know then get him out and weigh him offer water and we will see what he does w/ the UVB - it needs to be correctly placed and distanced for the screen on the tank

RockyinColorado

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky
I don’t know how I missed it but I didn’t see that reply about burping being a sign of respiratory infection. I didn’t know that and yes he was burping.

Also I have the light now. It’s very long, the full length of his tank. It’s the Arcadia pro T5 UVB kit 24 W 12%.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I don’t know how I missed it but I didn’t see that reply about burping being a sign of respiratory infection. I didn’t know that and yes he was burping.

Also I have the light now. It’s very long, the full length of his tank. It’s the Arcadia pro T5 UVB kit 24 W 12%.
Ok so the screen on the tank is a fine mesh or a wide holed type?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Fine mesh. And the light is shorter than I thought, 22 inches.
Fine mesh. And the light is shorter than I thought, 22 inches.
Fine mesh its going to either go in the tank or take the screen off or cut the screen - I can post stuff to use to hang if you need to me to -- the UVB needs to be unobstructed --- directly above the basking decor piece 12-15 inches --- please replace the bulb in approx one year I recommend 10-11 months

RockyinColorado

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky
Fine mesh its going to either go in the tank or take the screen off or cut the screen - I can post stuff to use to hang if you need to me to -- the UVB needs to be unobstructed --- directly above the basking decor piece 12-15 inches --- please replace the bulb in approx one year I recommend 10-11 months
Ok I can do that. I’m not able to find my scale to weigh him. How else do I check that he’s doing OK? How should I offer him water if he’s sleeping? Should I try to make the room warmer to bring him out of brumation?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok I can do that. I’m not able to find my scale to weigh him. How else do I check that he’s doing OK? How should I offer him water if he’s sleeping? Should I try to make the room warmer to bring him out of brumation?
Get him out and bath him -- see if he will drink in the bath --- please get a scale kitchen food scale and you need to keep track of his weight -- get your UVB placed first then when hes out of the bath place him under the UVB and basking light so he can warm up -- watch his behavior--- is there any mucous / nasal discharge -- lots of saliva in the mouth --- any wheezing or popping noise ?

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom