Not Eating after having no Heat

Sky72602

I have an almost 5 year old male dragon, we had a big power outage a bit over a week ago, our house lost power for 7 nights. During that time, I had him out with me as much as I could, to use me for warmth and comfort, and I was refilling a hot water bottle ever few hours that I would place on his basking spot with him on top of it (with a towel around it, as not to be too hot). I was super worried about him during that week, I wasn't feeding him because I was worried about how he would digest it without his lights and heat.

When the power came back on I ran his lights/heat for a full 24hours before putting it back to its regular timer. It has been about 10 days now, and he is barley eating, like absolutely nothing. He hasn't touched his greens at all, and has had maybe 5 crickets and a worm, but he didn't have an ounce of the enthusiasm for hunting that he usually does. I read that they will stop eating after a stressor like this, but he hasn't gone back to normal.

Now he is completely lethargic, he barley moves, he gave up half way on his basking spot, and he is SO SKINNY, I can see his tail bone, and his back legs have no fat or anything, he's never been a plump dragon, but he looks sick. I'm trying to take him out, he likes being with me but he's not even remotely adventurous or snuggly like he usually is.

I really don't know what to do at this point, I feel like he's dying and I don't know if there is something I should have done more when we didn't have power, or if there is something I can do now. I'm planning to take him to the vet asap but I'm scared its already to late. I just need to get him eating again at least. Does anyone have ANY ideas of ways I can help him.

His habitat has not changed at all and the temps are back to what he's used to, he pooed once during the power outage , and once since.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have an almost 5 year old male dragon, we had a big power outage a bit over a week ago, our house lost power for 7 nights. During that time, I had him out with me as much as I could, to use me for warmth and comfort, and I was refilling a hot water bottle ever few hours that I would place on his basking spot with him on top of it (with a towel around it, as not to be too hot). I was super worried about him during that week, I wasn't feeding him because I was worried about how he would digest it without his lights and heat.

When the power came back on I ran his lights/heat for a full 24hours before putting it back to its regular timer. It has been about 10 days now, and he is barley eating, like absolutely nothing. He hasn't touched his greens at all, and has had maybe 5 crickets and a worm, but he didn't have an ounce of the enthusiasm for hunting that he usually does. I read that they will stop eating after a stressor like this, but he hasn't gone back to normal.

Now he is completely lethargic, he barley moves, he gave up half way on his basking spot, and he is SO SKINNY, I can see his tail bone, and his back legs have no fat or anything, he's never been a plump dragon, but he looks sick. I'm trying to take him out, he likes being with me but he's not even remotely adventurous or snuggly like he usually is.

I really don't know what to do at this point, I feel like he's dying and I don't know if there is something I should have done more when we didn't have power, or if there is something I can do now. I'm planning to take him to the vet asap but I'm scared its already to late. I just need to get him eating again at least. Does anyone have ANY ideas of ways I can help him.

His habitat has not changed at all and the temps are back to what he's used to, he pooed once during the power outage , and once since.
Try offering a slurry- of greens w/ water- has he had any water? Or you can get some baby food like squash or green beans add a little honey like a drop or too for some sweet - add some water as well so it's like a slurry- if he won't eat it syringe feed him slowly you might need to snip the end off it- let him swallow what you put in- what was his weight before power outage? Are you using a coil uvb or a long tube fixture? Feed small amounts like 3mls a couple times a day

Sky72602

Original Poster
Try offering a slurry- of greens w/ water- has he had any water? Or you can get some baby food like squash or green beans add a little honey like a drop or too for some sweet - add some water as well so it's like a slurry- if he won't eat it syringe feed him slowly you might need to snip the end off it- let him swallow what you put in- what was his weight before power outage? Are you using a coil uvb or a long tube fixture? Feed small amounts like 3mls a couple times a day
He has a long tube, I just replaced it this past week as well. I went out and got him some baby food, with a syringe he took a bit. Ill keep trying with the syringe the next few days. I never weighed him before but he is much skinnier than he was 3 weeks ago.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
He has a long tube, I just replaced it this past week as well. I went out and got him some baby food, with a syringe he took a bit. Ill keep trying with the syringe the next few days. I never weighed him before but he is much skinnier than he was 3 weeks ago.
Ok what uvb tube are you using the T 5 and T 8 are different w/ placement and distance

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Was he thin prior to your power outage or is this a recent occurrence?
Do you have pictures of him we could see so we can determine his overall
condition?
We do need to know which type/brand of UVB you are using, how you are taking the
temperatures in the tank, supplementation, etc.
Has his beard been black or normal colored right now?
Since he isn't eating much on his own, try to get some chicken or turkey baby food,
mixed with squash or sweet potato baby food to feed to him using a plastic dropper
or syringe. Can you use a ceramic heat emitter for overnight use, to help keep him
around 75-80F to help boost his immune system while he isn't feeling well?
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom