Nostril Plugged?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Hi Everyone,

Is his nostril plugged? I have circled so you can see which nostril it is I'm referring to :D

If so, how can i help to remove?
Thanks!

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
It looks like hes having hard time breathing. It might be left over shed stuck in his nose and mouth?

Please help as he seems to be gaping a lot :(

halpern07

Hi,
I'm a newbie, but just experienced this and so will post my experience. My beardie is 9 months and has adenovirus, so I thought she was having a respiratory infection because she had such labored breathing and was gaping but I also knew she had been shedding. I was ready to rush her to the emergency vet when I googled the symptoms and saw someone had taken theirs to the vet and all it was a nose plug. I know your not supposed to pick at sheds, but I just took my fingernail and lightly scraped it over the nostril and it unstuck the nose plug shed and she was breathing just fine. I stopped there and let her shed on her head continue as normal.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Yes it's just shed, no worries. You can gently use your fingernail or even a tissue and lightly pull up around the outer part of his nostril, the exterior shed will lift up, and then (don't be alarmed, it's kind of gross, lol) a long string of shed will actually pull right out of his nostril. It doesn't hurt them at all, actually it has to be relieving, but I remember the first time I did this years ago to a large adult beardie and I was kind of horrified at the long piece of skin that just lifted right out of his nose!

halpern07

I just searched here on plugged nostril, it says don't pull it but try to mist it to loosen. It says if you pull it might risk injury to interior nostril. I was freaked out by the breathing so I didn't pull but scraped like she would have against a branch or something.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Ok thank you both for the info. I just gave him a nice warm bath and then used a washcloth around his nose area to help loosen it up. I did try to scrape it up with my fingernail but have this fear i might damage or hurt him so i left it be :lol: I also tried using tweezers as i thought it would be easier but again thinking i might hurt him. I'll try the Q-tip suggestion and maybe that will work.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Phew.. finally got it out for him. That nice warm bath really help loosen it up then i took the Q-tip and tweezers and Voila! YAY! Now hes back to being able to breathe again! :D

EllenD, you are right about the string, look like a long stringy booger that came out i am like eww! But least hes able to breathe out of his nose :lol:

halpern07

Yay! :blob5: it is kind of crazy how big they are and no wonder they can't breathe. The ear plugs are funny looking too when they finally dislodge.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Right? Im thinking this long string came out of this little guy , i mean he is growing but my goodness it gets really deep inside. Right after i took it out he was all happy and moving around. Going into his food bowl is like omg! I can finally smell this salad! :D :lol:

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Lol, I know, the first time I ran into this years ago I had taken my fingertip and tried to wipe the piece of dead skin that was sticking up on the outside of his nostril away, and all of a sudden this long piece of skin fell out of his nose...Eww. I actually thought it was a big booger at first, until I looked closely at it...

They are just full of surprises, aren't they...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bert_L
Top Bottom